For all foil kite riders
slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby slide » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:43 pm

flying my 10 metre soul today and it was overflying a lot and its still pretty new ,and turning really slowly so i added 80mm on the centre lines and it was turning better then ,but the overflying was annoying , i got the kite to the zenith and hopped on my landboard and it just kept going forward ,maybe it will be better now i've made it turn quicker-i might go to the beach again tomorrow and try again,its onshore again 12 mph

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Solarset; get the Soul 10, it wil suit in your quiver.
Slide; please check all the items about line setup. All equal at full power.. don’t lengthen the power / center lines... you will get an overflying kite in low and small gusty winds and a not performing Soul..
Second check your (long) mixer, ABCZ equal. Still overflying too much or tip collapsing, put C-1cm. Check again. Check all that is written about it.
You must active control the kite in low and gusty winds, keep it where you want it, if you feel it wants to overfly, brake it, pull the bar.
12 o clock is not where you want to park a kite when it’s a little gusty.. keep it flying.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
slide (Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 am

it was overflying before i added 80 mm to the centre lines , but wouldn't turn very quick which made it worse, but massive thx and i'll check
the mixer today and full power where lines are equal-thats good to know-i take it you mean depower strap full power as well before i check equal -i'll check that as well-i was told as the lines wear in i would have to reverse the extension to the centre lines if the kite falls back when i pull power on

no beach for me today then , i'll have a kite line check day today , i've gotta get good at all this as i brought 4 new souls , i have experiance of the mixer test as i've had second hand flysurfers for years before , but with my souls , the thin slippery material and the thin lines , it scares me a little bit to touch it or work on it but i love them but i can't seem to get the best out of them yet and i don't really know why , for example i went to the beach a few weeks ago and it was 11/12 mph on shore and i flew my speed2 10metre delux and i had a great day , i know when i've had a good day on my landboard as my abbs ache the next day and sometimes for a couple of days and i did ache and was satisfied , but i just can't seem to get the same results with my soul 10, i do have belief in them as i can see it with others achieve but it might be a bit of me, coming back after a long break (grade3 kidney secondry to my brain)and type1 diabetic, but i'll keep at it having health issues makes me more determined than ever to get back to where i was and i want to be better and improve eveytime i fly , and thx janus you are very kind

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 am

doing the long mixer test ,with the kite lines removed and ihave a snap shakle holding the bridles lines level where would attach to the flying lines and the first thing i notice is right line is 2/3 mm shorter where it joins up to the yellow lines - i have the same difference when i level up further on ,the right line is shorter
anyway i now have A and C the same length with Z still 2 or 3 mm short - right i now have A, B, C,the same , but Z is 2/3 mm short , so the short mixer test is spot on , but the long mixer test is not quite right because the 1metre lines from the yellow bridles are slightly out-does that make sense ?
but i know on my older flysurfers the Z was never the same , so i always concentrated on getting A,B,C right-does that make sense ?
i'll do the left side now
i'm getting back into this now and its the same A,B.C, all the same and Z a couple of mm short -going back to when i did this alot , i remember this pattern and if i remember rightly it very slowly gets bigger
Last edited by slide on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:09 am

Hi Slide, since you know your way with the mixer check and the Soul’s are new (nice quiver!.. my son would like a 8 too.. we are missing that one.. :-) ) you could do a short mixer test just to check.
Perhaps it was just not enough wind for the 10 and it needs bedding in, try the 12 next time..
In steady wind it can be easily parked overhead without overshooting.
if you use a FS bar I suggest you take the line extensions of it for the 12, we like the steering much better that way (twintip and foiling)
Since I got some Peak4’s I did foil only once with the Soul 6m.
Were you also a member of foilforum in the early days? Do you also Kitefoil? If not I would suggest that too.. you have the best Soul quiver for that.. :-) it is very rewarding when succeeding in it.. very Zen feeling when flying the waters and much less physical for the body.
I see you posted while I was typing.. :-)
Check the vid of Armin Harich in which he explains the (long) mixer check for the Souls.
Z is not that important but you should Aline A and Z first. I do that with 2 screw drivers in the tiles, about 10 cm apart, one for frontline and one for back line briddle. Than tension A and Z and Aline them by stepping side wards.. if they line up then check B and C under tension.
I hope you understand what I mean..
If right and left are oké then fly it. (If you check left and right C main briddle they are probably the same length from pulley till end)
If it is not flying like you want, tip collaps the main issue, the take the 2 C-mains and shorten first one C 1-cm and then make the other C- equal again. So you can do easily and Quick adjustments without complete mixer test on the beach.

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:29 am

i did try the 12 yesterday but the wind had dropped off so i came home, thx for your reply , i shall study it later -i do the mixer test in our big bedroom (also my guitar loud tube amp room )

the 10 was out quite a bit so that would explain the bad boy behavior yesterday and i've removed the addition i added yesterday to the centre line. and the lines line up like you said , with full power ,so i'm looking forward to another onshore and trying that out , in my older ones the 10 was always my favorite size with pyscho 3,and speed 1,and speed2 delux which i still have- a great size for landboarding in a good wind if you like to throw the kite about
i only landboard , and never been in the water , as i can't swim and diabetes would be a nightmare if i needed sugar quick , but my thing is hard beaches and a light weight landboard -i have been in the water twice , once with a flexifoil sabre , and once i did a power loop with my blade1 4.9, and ended up waist deep after standing up -i wasn't quite sure how that was going to end ,i took a deep breath and hoped for the best ,but it was fine and pulling out an open ram air foil full of water is not something i'd want to do again :D luckily i had spare dry clothes in my car

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:47 pm

all my souls are now mixed up and at least i now know why the 10 was off colour yesterday , i thought i would be ok for ages without the mixer test needing action ,but after i did one it didn't take long , but i'm still not overly clear on long or short test i'll watch the vid where armin does it on the beach and do that as a quick check , but i like doing it better at home without the sand blowing about , and without dogs running everywhere

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:32 pm

slide wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:47 pm
all my souls are now mixed up and at least i now know why the 10 was off colour yesterday , i thought i would be ok for ages without the mixer test needing action ,but after i did one it didn't take long , but i'm still not overly clear on long or short test i'll watch the vid where armin does it on the beach and do that as a quick check , but i like doing it better at home without the sand blowing about , and without dogs running everywhere
I was up your way last week on a 12m Soul (Brancaster beautiful conditions) and 8m Soul (Old H). Would have been great to catch you on your Souls. Old H is a bit spicy with the wind coming over the cliffs on a SW or WSW, one minute light wind, then full blast. I need to perfect my self-landings as a bit sketchy. Created a long s shape down the beach as I tried backstalling into the dunes! Poops! Hoping to return soon, especially Brancaster. Stay well.

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 pm

hey yea it would be good to meet up but i don't kitesurf as i'm type1 diabetic, and can't swim , but i've been landboarding since 2003 at brancaster mostly -hunstanton is a filty beach, and i have never landboarded there , even if you are in the water its good to keep your gear together so its safer -give me a ring when ya around , i'll private message you my mobile no

i always use a stake and always back stall, and when the kite is down drop the landing line on the stake,and lean forward as i drop it down i got some landing lines made up and go across the balls.

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 am

Hi guys,
Sorry I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I’m new to the Soul / foil family and have tried to search for this topic without luck.
I’ve just bought a 12m and an 18m, to give a lower end than my tube kites. I’ve had about 3 sessions on my 18m so far, on vacation in South Padre
I’m looking for some advice on how to water relaunch my new Soul when it ties itself into all kinds of weird shapes?
So far I’ve been quite lucky, although it feels like I am randomly tugging lines until something it turns back into a kite shape again. Then I can launch it on the side or reverse launch.
I’m sure there must be a deliberate method For making it unwrap itself- but I can’t figure out what it is
Any good advice is welcome

Return to “Foil Kites”