JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Feeling in foiling: 1 strut kite vs foil kite

Postby JoseTumaco » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:40 am

One question: I like the fealing when foiling whith foilkite (Hiperlink 12m) , I feel the foilkite gently (soft), with more lift, great in light wind,... But I've never tried a one strut light wind kite (I have Ozone Enduro and Edge). If you have tried both, can you tell me how did you feel it? , is it similar in those mention things when foiling? (of course must be faster in tourning, but what else do you feel?

I feel ozone Enduro and Edge much more dificult for foiling, but perhaps is because I am nit good enaugh yet.

Note: I am 45 years old, 75 kg, kiter for three years TT, and foiling 6 months ago, only for FUN, not for race, I live in front of the beach in Colombia, alone always, I gybe but not tack yet. I need a New 13 M kite but don't know If buying a foil or one strut LEI. I am thinking in Sonic 3, anyone has test it?

Thanks a lot, here I have anyone to ask
These users thanked the author JoseTumaco for the post:
Foil (Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Feeling in foiling: 1 strut kite vs foil kite

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 am

Single or strutless suit actual wind. 8m and down are great. Under 13 knots go foil kite.

Unless you are open to Peaks. Then get those for everything.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:02 pm)

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:48 am

Thanks @Jumpthesark, Most of my foiling days are 10 nots or under

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:39 am

I would get a foil kite. But to be honest I’m not kiting in less than 12 knots.
JoseTumaco (Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:02 pm)

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Colombia Cabo de la Vela

Postby JoseTumaco » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:07 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 am
Single or strutless suit actual wind. 8m and down are great. Under 13 knots go foil kite.

Unless you are open to Peaks. Then get those for everything.
8 M and down is not my case, as Most of my days are 10 knots (or under) I am thinking in a 14 M one strut LEÍ or an 14 M foilkite. In this case ¿is it better foiling with LEI or Foilkie?. I am also opnen to Peaks, but are they good for 10 knots?

Thanks

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:40 pm

I definitely recommend against a 14m LEI for foiling.

Get an ultra light foil kite if you can afford it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Peaks bigger than 5m. The general consensus on them is that bigger sizes work and stay in the air very well but are not as much fun as the smaller sizes.
JoseTumaco (Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:07 pm)

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:42 pm

This doesn’t directly answer your question, but, considering you are talking about relatively light winds, you might want to stick with a foil kite because the low end will be lower than a tube. For me, about 8kn is as low as I can go comfortably with a tube, and I have no chance of relaunch in 8kn. I don’t use foil kites, but the guys on here who do talk about going at least a couple of knots lower than that.
Last edited by junebug on Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:29 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:40 am
One question: I like the fealing when foiling whith foilkite (Hiperlink 12m) , I feel the foilkite gently (soft), with more lift, great in light wind,... But I've never tried a one strut light wind kite (I have Ozone Enduro and Edge). If you have tried both, can you tell me how did you feel it? , is it similar in those mention things when foiling? (of course must be faster in tourning, but what else do you feel?

I feel ozone Enduro and Edge much more dificult for foiling, but perhaps is because I am nit good enaugh yet.

Note: I am 45 years old, 75 kg, kiter for three years TT, and foiling 6 months ago, only for FUN, not for race, I live in front of the beach in Colombia, alone always, I gybe but not tack yet. I need a New 13 M kite but don't know If buying a foil or one strut LEI. I am thinking in Sonic 3, anyone has test it?

Thanks a lot, here I have anyone to ask
You don't say if you are currently using the 12mtr Hyperlink in ultralight cloth, the V1 hyperlink came with a choice
the V2 hyperlink comes in superlight cloth, not called ultralight anymore and no choice, however the new V2 hyperlink is the same weight as the old V1 ultralight and more watertight, great feeling cloth, very slippy feel.

anyways the point is that at your 75kg lightweight experienced foil kite user, then the new V2 hyperlink 11mtr or 13mtr ( the V2 is not available in a 12mtr) should work well in the low winds you have, forget any Lei in them winds,the edge simply will not work in such low winds and its a pig to relaunch in low winds,as in any Lei from any brand.
either stick with a kite you like the feel of(I have a mix of older and newer hyperlinks, all the lighter ones, I did have a standard cloth hyperlink a few years back and they are different, much less hover in light airs, or go for the ultimate same feel kite in super light winds, the Chrono 13mtr or 15mtr v3 chrono ultralight, same bar feel and flying behaviour, but cost on the chrono is well over the hyperlink, just like the boosting really.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:45 pm

Might want to consider a 10m Ocean Rodeo Aluula Roam or 12m OR Aluula Flite, if you prefer faster-moving kites over bigger slower foil kites.

Light wind relaunch is superb on the Aluula kites, because :
- the Aluula airframe is quite stiff and hold the kites, shape ; pull a steering line with kite nose-down, it holds its shape, rolls onto its side and takes off
- the kites are VERY light, so they react to steering input and accelerate very quickly
- the Aluula fabric is hydrophobic ( water does not absorb or wet-out the fabric )
- small LE means very little water can get in the 'V' between LE and canopy after a hard now-first crash
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:13 am)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:00 pm

I have been using foil kites for 13 years and single strut kites for 3 years with hydrofoils. I prefer single strut because the wind can die completely in my home spot and i prefer swimming back with an inflated kite. Foils kite are great they stay in the air a little bit better than a single strut and will relaunch in a little less wind but you have limited window to relaunch.

All the single struts are lower aspect kites. They are great for foiling because they are ligth but of course the disadvantages of a lower aspect LEI are there. They don't go upwind as well as a high aspect kites but on a foil that's no big deal and the wind range is smaller than a high aspect multi strut kite. They flap when fully depowered at the top of their wind range and they flap in sharp turns but again that differs some flap more than others. Yes they do turn faster than a foil kite of the same size. The ligth weight a low aspect shape makes them drift well when going downwind on a foil but foil kites also do that very well.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post (total 2):
JoseTumaco (Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:12 am) • Jugglajon (Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:21 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”