JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: flysurfer sonic3, any news?

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 am

noahsw wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:32 pm
I’ve got a 9 and 13 Sonic3 on the way. What’s the best strategy for a) avoiding bow ties and b) recovering from one?

I’m coming from 100 sessions on Souls. Thx!
@Noahsw one question, I am also coming from 100 sessions on Soul and Hiperlink, very used to them for 2 years, I use it for foiling in light wind, I am thinking in buying a Sonic 3, but dont know if is too difficult to ride if you compare to Soul. I need it for light wind, 10 knots. Thinking in 15m Sonic 3. Do you think Sonic 3 is much better than Soul? Other thing is that I normally kite alone, is Sonic Hard to relaunch comparing to Soul? Thanks!

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:07 am

JoseTumaco wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 am
noahsw wrote:
I’ve got a 9 and 13 Sonic3 on the way. What’s the best strategy for a) avoiding bow ties and b) recovering from one?

@Noahsw one question, I am also coming from 100 sessions on Soul and Hiperlink, very used to them for 2 years, I use it for foiling in light wind, I am thinking in buying a Sonic 3, but dont know if is too difficult to ride if you compare to Soul. I need it for light wind, 10 knots. Thinking in 15m Sonic 3. Do you think Sonic 3 is much better than Soul? Other thing is that I normally kite alone, is Sonic Hard to relaunch comparing to Soul? Thanks!
The question is what you like to improve with this change!
What kind of board you are using at what weight?
I switched from 12m Soul to 13m Sonic and from 18m Soul to 18m Sonic only twintip riding in different sizes.

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks a lot @Noahsw, I foil in Moses 91 mast, 550 wing, in this moment I want a foil kite for the hidrofoil in light wind days (80% we have 10 knots of constant see wind). I am 75 kg, and I am just progressing in gybes, and in the future next estep is tack, I like to freeride and dont want t to race. When you ask what do I want to improve I dont have an specific answer, just want to have fun and freeride, can Sonic 3 help me in that or can it be an obstacle for that? . I own an Hiperlink UL 12m, but it is now damaged and I want to buy a New foil. I tested and liked Soul, they are similar in caracteristics, althought Hiperlink materials (ozone kites materials in general maiby) are much more delicated, not a good experience with them. I also have a LEI 11m and 9m for those days with more wind when I use TT. I dont want the foil kite for TT.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:01 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 am
noahsw wrote:

To answer both questions, the Sonic3 isn’t significantly harder than the Soul but it is more technical. What this means to me is it’s much more sensitive to bar position. It’s designed to backstall, a great tool for advanced riders, but can become more frustrating. It will bow tie(I don’t remember the last time one of my Souls did that) but it is recoverable and the relaunch while not as good as the Soul (it will take on water faster) it is significantly improved over the Sonic2. So much advice is this:Stable constant winds and have the skills to get that little bit more performance out-Sonic3. Shifting/unstable conditions, a kite you can forget about, amazing relaunch - Soul.

To help reduce bow ties keep some tension on the steering lines at all times, know how to predict one coming and adjust before it even turns into an issue. They’re not horrible on the Sonic3 but do take adjustment.

Also if you don’t want to TT on a foil kite, you most definitely are missing out.

noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:24 pm

I briefly flew my new 13m Sonic 3 for the first time this weekend in light and gusty conditions. The hangtime is unreal. The floatiest jumps ever. I also had my cleanest tacks ever because of the lift.

I then tried dunking it to test relaunch and found it much harder than the Soul, as expected. Again, the wind was light and gusty but when I relaunched it one tip was bow tied. I tried yanking the steering line several times but no luck. I then dunked the kite again and voila, the bow tie came undone.

I expect this to get even easier as I get more practice and the kite breaks in. Overall, I’m happy with my purchase!
These users thanked the author noahsw for the post:
mr-markus (Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:15 am

Let's add this to correct topic too (I first posted this to VMG topic, fooled by IG hashtag), Sonic 11m on Florian's hands..

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm

joriws wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:15 am
Let's add this to correct topic too (I first posted this to VMG topic, fooled by IG hashtag), Sonic 11m on Florian's hands..

And at the end seems what wasdrop to water as quite always with flysurfer foils which usually not possible to control at the end of jump for straight landing.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:47 pm

I had a lot of sessions with my Sonic 3 kites (11,13 and 15 m) and I really love them. In this video you can see how the 15 m works in light wind conditions (10/16 Knots).

Cheers

Carlo

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:58 pm

a99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm
And at the end seems what wasdrop to water as quite always with flysurfer foils which usually not possible to control at the end of jump for straight landing.
I don’t understand what you mean.. with FS kites you can feather land..
It looks to me that it was a purpose drop.. no to much free downwind space and a lot of riders around.. landing hot and with speed on the foil is tricky.. bailing out and drop land is a wise thing to do imho.

Return to “Foil Kites”