For all foil kite riders
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: soul pulling to one side

Postby downunder » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:08 pm

In short, no.

If the mixer is off, no matter what u do with one line.

On my 10m the c line was too long and Z was too short.

Now looks great on beach test only.

tsuneo
Rare Poster
Gear: Duotone Rebel
Has thanked: 0

Postby tsuneo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Lines are the usual cause of kites flying to one side. Although front lines would be the main culprit, rears seem to do a bit too. Foil kites can have much more to cause them to go to one side. If you search here you will find this topic has been covered many times with all problems and solutions covered. In short though one main problem for foil kites is either the pulley lines or A or Z mains become different from left to right, which makes it impossible to have everything the same left to right without fixing them as they are the root problem. You can set a mixer test to be correct, but if one of those things is out then even though the mixer test is right nearly everything left to right will be different. You may have to tie knots, add pigtails, cut stitching, cut lines, redo splices or sewn ends. The only correct way to fix things is make EVERYTHING line up, left to right.
These users thanked the author tsuneo for the post:
neilhapgood (Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:32 pm

thanks tsuneo that's interesting, I did the mixer test and it was fine, however if I understand you right the mixer test can be fine on each side but the line(s) might be longer overall on the left than the right?

Any ideas for how to test this?

thanks

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:49 pm

thanks tsuneo that's interesting, I did the mixer test and it was fine, however if I understand you right the mixer test can be fine on each side but the line(s) might be longer overall on the left than the right?

Any ideas for how to test this?
I take a thin tent peg or screwdriver and stick it through the loops at the flying line connection ends of both A Main,B Pulleyline, C Pulleyline, Z Main. Pair them up so ALL (Left and Right) are held by the same peg/screwdriver. its easy to then check the lengths are the same L to R, and also that A Main and Z Main are the same length as each other (normally 1200mm).
If you correct and deviations in length of A Mains and Z Mains so All are the same, you can now adjust the B and C to match, with a normal method Mixer test; still using your peg/screwdriver as a fixed point.

I had a similar problem with an 11m FR and found the fault in the mixer lengths, L to Right.

Whilst you have your peg/screwdriver handy, you can also fix the top ends of the mixer in the same way; lay the kite out and check relative line lengths L to R by standing beyond the kite and pulling on the canopy attachment points...

This way you will know the mixer is aligned And the bridle is aligned. :D

Then if you fancy some simple maths you can find the difference from AI+A1+a1 to BI+B1+b1 to CI+C1+c1 to ZI+Z1+z1 and correct any camber issues you may have.
These users thanked the author HaylingBilly for the post:
neilhapgood (Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:37 am

tsuneo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Lines are the usual cause of kites flying to one side. Although front lines would be the main culprit, rears seem to do a bit too. Foil kites can have much more to cause them to go to one side. If you search here you will find this topic has been covered many times with all problems and solutions covered. In short though one main problem for foil kites is either the pulley lines or A or Z mains become different from left to right, which makes it impossible to have everything the same left to right without fixing them as they are the root problem. You can set a mixer test to be correct, but if one of those things is out then even though the mixer test is right nearly everything left to right will be different. You may have to tie knots, add pigtails, cut stitching, cut lines, redo splices or sewn ends. The only correct way to fix things is make EVERYTHING line up, left to right.
Usual but not exclusive. Here is an example, no matter how the bar is positioned, or how the end lines are, the kite would still pull to one side like a train. One can try steering as much as possible, but it would pull. And this is visible on kite one side LE which not on pressure as it should.

FH :bye:

Return to “Foil Kites”