Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Forum for wing surfers
Slyde
Frequent Poster
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby Slyde » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:17 am

Anyone here riding the Phantom foil 1280 with 85cm mast in carbon on their wingboard? Interested in hearing about speed, stiffness, appropriate rider weight. Current fave is Axis 900/370 on 90cm 19mm Alloy mast but would like to move to a carbon mast in the 85cm range which Axis have been promising but not delivering for a loooong time.
cheers

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1755
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby windmaker » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 am

I have been riding Phantom 1480 , 1280 and Mirage 1000 for a while now and before that Gravity 1400 and 1800. If I were to keep one it would be the 1280, at my weight (66kg) it is big enough to pump and catch small waves without using the wing while beeing fast enought to be fun in flatter conditions. Gravitys are easier but too slow for my liking, Phantom 1480 (2nd choice) will suit better a heavier rider and Mirage 1000 is fast and carvy but needs a decent size wave to surf without using the wing.

Sorry not familiar with Axis or other brands to make a comparaison.

Slyde
Frequent Poster
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby Slyde » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:44 am

cheers, Im 73kg so thats just what I wanted to hear. Have you ridden the 85cm carbon mast? Is it stiff enough for winging? Some carbon masts are better suited to prone foiling and kiting than wing and SUP. How is the F-One mast?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1755
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby windmaker » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:06 am

Slyde wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:44 am
cheers, Im 73kg so thats just what I wanted to hear. Have you ridden the 85cm carbon mast? Is it stiff enough for winging? Some carbon masts are better suited to prone foiling and kiting than wing and SUP. How is the F-One mast?
Yes, I use 85cm (wing/surf) and 105cm (for kitefoil) carbon masts. No worries there, super stiff and light, the 85cm is also recommended for wind foiling, a discipline which requires the stiffer masts out there.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby joekitetime » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pm

I've got one coming in today to test...
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
omg (Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:19 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
omg
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby omg » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 pm

Slyde wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:17 am
Anyone here riding the Phantom foil 1280 with 85cm mast in carbon on their wingboard? Interested in hearing about speed, stiffness, appropriate rider weight. Current fave is Axis 900/370 on 90cm 19mm Alloy mast but would like to move to a carbon mast in the 85cm range which Axis have been promising but not delivering for a loooong time.
cheers
Slyfe, can I ask what is it in the Axis alu that you would like to change to carbon, please?

Slyde
Frequent Poster
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby Slyde » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:16 am

omg wrote: Slyfe, can I ask what is it in the Axis alu that you would like to change to carbon, please?
The Mast. I ride the 90cm 19mm aluminium mast. Its very stiff and rides very nicely and excellent for SUP foil but I would like to get more speed out of my wing setup. Axis make alot of nice foil wings and have some faster high aspect foils coming soon but the limiting factor is always gonna be that mast. There is a 75 and a 95 in carbon but the 75 is too short and the 95 is OK for kite but to flexy for winging. Ive been waiting for the 85 for a looong time as the in-between compromise of a thinner foil section but not too flexy. Also Im basically lazy and would prefer a foil that is less maintenance. So Im considering the F-One carbon. Thats not to say I'll change, just considering and asking the question.
These users thanked the author Slyde for the post:
omg (Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:23 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
omg
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby omg » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:26 pm

Slyde wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:16 am
omg wrote: Slyfe, can I ask what is it in the Axis alu that you would like to change to carbon, please?
The Mast. I ride the 90cm 19mm aluminium mast. Its very stiff and rides very nicely and excellent for SUP foil but I would like to get more speed out of my wing setup. Axis make alot of nice foil wings and have some faster high aspect foils coming soon but the limiting factor is always gonna be that mast. There is a 75 and a 95 in carbon but the 75 is too short and the 95 is OK for kite but to flexy for winging. Ive been waiting for the 85 for a looong time as the in-between compromise of a thinner foil section but not too flexy. Also Im basically lazy and would prefer a foil that is less maintenance. So Im considering the F-One carbon. Thats not to say I'll change, just considering and asking the question.
Slyde, that's very valuable info, I'm just looking for a new setup for wingfoiling, and Axis was on top of my list, however, my fear was exactly the stiff mast versus the drag. I wish there would be a super stiff, but quick mast for around 90cm.

User avatar
omg
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby omg » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pm
I've got one coming in today to test...
Joe, what’s the verdict, pretty please?


Also, as a side note I noticed from the fone website that for winging they suggest 75cm carbon mast. Is this because longer ones are flexier by nature?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1755
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: Any review of the all carbon F-One Phantom 1280

Postby windmaker » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:25 am

I hve used 105 and 85cm masts for wingfoiling and they are both super stiff.


Return to “Wingsurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest