Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XTR kite construction for Tomo

Postby pwkiteforum » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:11 am

Hi all,

Any advice on custom options for a Tomo Evo or Revo in XTR kite construction?:

http://epoxysurfboards.com/product/tomo ... surfboard/

I know they can reinforce for kites, but not clear on glassing, construction, flex options re: kiting.

This would be a single board quiver, adding a step up later for higher wind/waves.

Cheers
Last edited by pwkiteforum on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: XTR kite construction for Tomo

Postby mmac » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:19 am

Contact XTR and have them build you the strongest layup they can do for kiting, especially on the deck. I previously owned an XTR Vader shaped by Tomo and used it for kiting. I installed NSI pads/straps and jumped the board a lot. I rode it for two seasons and never broke it. However, it did incur fairly deep footwells and heel dents on the deck. It was a great lightweight board but I eventually sold it to buy a larger board.

pwkiteforum
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter

Postby pwkiteforum » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:02 am

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like they use a ghost shaper for Tomo boards ordered via XTR, but tomosurf.com can custom shape for XTR.

What year was your board? Wondering if XTR's latest 8.0 glassing is stronger for kiting vs. Firewire's Helium kite construction.

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mmac » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I think my board was a 2015 or 2016. I don't know about the strength differences with their current offerings, but the main difference would be that the XTR core does not absorb water if dinged. Also, you can order custom sizes from XTR.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:44 am

I’ll be interested in what you decide on.

What about parallel carbon on the deck with carbon heel patches?

Have you considered rhe hydroshort? I think it is a better wave board then the evo.

pwkiteforum
Rare Poster

Postby pwkiteforum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:38 am

Hm yeah I wonder how parallel carbon performs in kiting. Good idea on carbon heel patches.

Definitely interested in the Hydroshort as a step-up later on. Need a wider ranging board to start, to cover lightwind days.

Instead of the Evo, looking at the Revo in XTR:

https://www.tomosurf.com/revo

Tomo can also do a heavy glass for kiting, but again not sure how that compares to Helium. Helium has more of a 'guarantee'.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:38 am

pwkiteforum wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:38 am
Hm yeah I wonder how parallel carbon performs in kiting. Good idea on carbon heel patches.

Definitely interested in the Hydroshort as a step-up later on. Need a wider ranging board to start, to cover lightwind days.

Instead of the Evo, looking at the Revo in XTR:

https://www.tomosurf.com/revo

Tomo can also do a heavy glass for kiting, but again not sure how that compares to Helium. Helium has more of a 'guarantee'.
I have an evo and a hydroshort. I’m not sure why you think the evo has more range. And the Revo looks like it has a thinner tail and nose so for the same length it will be better in windier and choppier conditions but likely won’t plane up as easy as the evo.

The hydroshort is the better all around wave shape.

pwkiteforum
Rare Poster

Postby pwkiteforum » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:11 am

Agreed that the Hydroshort is better in waves. Just seems a consensus that the Evo suits a wider range of conditions.

The Evo is billed as an easier board to learn strapless on, wider and more stable (also suits lightwind), stubby design easier for travel, popular with freestyle (multiple clones), custom board might even take foil mounts. And Tomo says the Revo has 'more rocker and outline curve' than the Evo, so a step towards the Hydroshort in waves. Whereas the Hydroshort is billed as 'high performance' for larger surf.

Good point re: Revo though, I'll give it some thought (would bump size in Revo). Maybe Evo + Hydroshort covers more conditions vs. Revo + Hydroshort.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 am

pwkiteforum wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:11 am
Agreed that the Hydroshort is better in waves. Just seems a consensus that the Evo suits a wider range of conditions.
I disagree, the hydroshort is the more versatile wave board and suits a wider range of conditions.

If you are doing freestyle aerial stuff, I’d pick the evo.

I doubt you will find many people who have even heard of the hydroshort let alone ridden one. So I am not sure that a consensus has been formed.

Yes a lot of companies have copied the modern planing hull and in the right conditions they are a lot of fun.

pwkiteforum
Rare Poster

Postby pwkiteforum » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:42 am

Can you give more insight? What's the lightest wind you can kite the Hydroshort vs. Evo? I was told I'd have to oversize the Hydroshort for lightwind.

Don't want to stray too far from the topic re: XTR, I am not deciding between these boards. For me, versatile includes freestyle. And consensus of shops I've talked to is start on Evo.

Return to “Kitesurfing”