Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:28 am

Steve271 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 am
Hi guys,
Sorry I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I’m new to the Soul / foil family and have tried to search for this topic without luck.
I’ve just bought a 12m and an 18m, to give a lower end than my tube kites. I’ve had about 3 sessions on my 18m so far, on vacation in South Padre
I’m looking for some advice on how to water relaunch my new Soul when it ties itself into all kinds of weird shapes?
So far I’ve been quite lucky, although it feels like I am randomly tugging lines until something it turns back into a kite shape again. Then I can launch it on the side or reverse launch.
I’m sure there must be a deliberate method For making it unwrap itself- but I can’t figure out what it is
Any good advice is welcome
You are pretty much right, you pull on a string till she starts to untangle. Usually the steering lines are better. If you can get it in the air any, backstalling(pulling both steering lines) helps put the kite back into shape pretty well. Mostly thought, its trial and error. You'll learn what works for you.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Steve271 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:16 am

When it’s leading edge down...never pull the center lines. There are a lot of ways you can finesse the lines, but the most important thing to keep in mind is when the kite is LE down, don’t pull the center lines and do pull the rear (steering) lines in as soon as possible so that you don’t flood your kite with water through the intake valves.

The rest you can figure out on your own, and it’s pretty self explanatory. For example, if it’s TE down just reach up and tug your center lines.

What not to do is sometimes more important than what to do.

Just one guy’s thoughts

Best of luck and I hope this is useful.

John
These users thanked the author loco4viento for the post:
Steve271 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 am

Important is to try to prevent missery on the water.. for a quick steer impuls take the leader line and pull it.. bar input is mostly not enough impuls.
when it finally is in a weird fold on the water and it looks like it won't do anything it is sometimes better to wait a little for a bit wind and then suddenly it sort itself out and you can relaunch easily by backline(s), don't pull to much on the rear lines, let it float.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
Steve271 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:49 pm)

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 am

Thx guys, got the chance to practice your advice today and am becoming more confident. It’s amazing that it often looks like a total train wreck, yet somehow turns back into a kite 🙂

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:05 am

Had some nice sessions with the 6m on my foil, altough im looking for a 4m Peak4 a smaller Soul would be interesting too.
For practising new moves an easy waterstarting kite would be very handy..
So why no 2,3,4,5m Souls?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 pm

With new VMG and Sonic out, none started rumours about Soul 2?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 pm

Hey did someone tried Core Sensor bar with Soul? Unlike FS bar it has highish Y rather then low V, however with line extension 2+4m front line splits somewhere in middle
Love this core bar and would like to use it for its brilliant auto untwist function that in FS Infinity 4.0 sucks

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 am

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 pm
Hey did someone tried Core Sensor bar with Soul? Unlike FS bar it has highish Y rather then low V, however with line extension 2+4m front line splits somewhere in middle
Love this core bar and would like to use it for its brilliant auto untwist function that in FS Infinity 4.0 sucks
You could always swap long main lines from Infinity-bar to Core Sensor-bar, I mean above the leader lines & depower to get low V for centerlines, to experiment low V. Just make sure that safety works with enough travel to fully flag the Soul.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 am

joriws wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 am
SolarSet wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 pm
You could always swap long main lines from Infinity-bar to Core Sensor-bar, I mean above the leader lines & depower to get low V for centerlines, to experiment low V. Just make sure that safety works with enough travel to fully flag the Soul.
How would you do that on a core bar? The entire trim and flagout system is integrated in this high split setup so it is an extensive rebuild. Also both the flagout and depower cord share the full load, don't think the depower cord alone is rated to take the full load.

The flagout on a core bar works by pulling in 1 power line by 4m and the other one 2m. This does only provide sufficient flagout on core kites that have a bridle designed for this setup. It is extremely unsafe on any other kite! (there are some reports that it's even unsafe on core kites...)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 am

Ignoring whether the safety works (as I don't know), I'd have thought that as long as the overall length from the split point to the connectors is the same, you should be fine as the effective angles that the lines are pulling at is the same. E.g. if the split is 6m up on 20m lines, then adding 4m line extensions would be the same as a low V bar (where the split is 2m up) on 20m lines.

You may need some pigtail extensions though to correct for the high split point (or to apply trim)as the effective line length is slightly different (2cm or so) between high and low V split point otherwise it I think it will be more prone to stalling on full trim.

Return to “Foil Kites”