Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When do you hydrofoil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: When do you hydrofoil?

Postby OzBungy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:39 am

PS I am wingdinging at the moment. It's the new thing I'm trying to get good at, and in our current lockdown I don't have access to the beaches I normally use.

I am winging in stupidly gusty conditions at a beach where the launch point is dead offshore. It's quite nice not to have to worry about trying to fly a kite in conditions that could be demanding. I kind of expected it, but the wingding is remarkably resilient to yuck conditions.

There are some nasty storms forecast for this afternoon. Again, a foil and a wingding will be less exposed than trying to kite in those conditions.
Last edited by OzBungy on Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:33 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:36 pm
We hydrofoil all year round here in Denmark.
Of course, if a lot below zero and ice in the water, no, but we havent had much of that the last many years.

If windy (for 7 m2 and smaller) and sideshore and good waves, mostly out on waveboards, as quite rare with "dream" conditions.
The sloppier conditions, way more fun on a kite hydrofoil or wingfoil :rollgrin:

Sometimes nice to mix it up on the same days, and rig a two sizes smaller kite for wavefoiling :thumb:
Meaning, if 7 m2 wind for the waveboard (meaning average 21-22 knots), a 4 m2 could work sweetspot on a hydrofoil.
Even though I use a 3 m2 Peak4 (foilkite) instead now, fits in this wind :D

Amazed to see so many, in fact all of you who has answered, riding in 30 to +40 knots winds?

Are you riding strapped and maxed out, and supershort lines, or simply prefer to be mega powered instead of the "surf" style power?

Here even when we ride on wave/surfboards, 30 knots is the upper limit for a 5 m2 tubekite, from then on possible but away from the good sweetspot.

Above 30 knots averege wind you can still just hold on and surf (for average weights), but overpowered, not as fun to ride DTL as you can not ride as freely anymore.
The sweetspot for a 5 m2 tube on a waveboard is around 26-27 knots average wind for most riders.
If you ride strapped waveboards you can go a bit higher, maybe into 30-32 knots average wind yes, but from then, you are powered more than good, and a 4 m2 tube would fit much better.

So amazed to see how many of you riding hydrofoils in way more wind (compared to kite size) than most ride wave/surfboards?

Or is it simply for the fun just being out on the upper limit, almost survival mode, and not because you can carve and surf on the hydrofoil?
Jump height would be max yes, but you will drop like a rock with a 5 m2, which is not always fun on hydrofoils :wink:

Many misjudge the wind a lot, when its windy, that could be another reason, even though a bit of an accusation, sorry :roll:

8) Peter
your right that jumping is compromised whilst on a 5mtr foil kite, its hard to get the jumping right and landing is a bit of a fast drop thing, so i tend to only boost very small when using my 5mtr, and for me as I have said when the winds are up there around 30 knts then the water state has to be friendly, so location choice has to be more sheltered from monster chop, which I can find if I travel a bit, but I do have limits I know I cant get over, tried to and been beaten back a few times,

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:08 am

Foil wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:33 am

your right that jumping is compromised whilst on a 5mtr foil kite, ....
Really? This jump was on a 5m. Foiling landing and ride away. You just need a bit of practice ... and a bit of luck. I was in good form on that day and a passing photographer caught some good shots.
Attachments
IMG_1649.JPG

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:00 pm

My default is KBHF. I will dust off the 10m Rebel and TT when it hits 18kn+ and good conditions for a boosting session, but otherwise I’m foiling.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:23 pm

junebug wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:55 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:36 pm

So amazed to see how many of you riding hydrofoils in way more wind (compared to kite size) than most ride wave/surfboards?

Or is it simply for the fun just being out on the upper limit, almost survival mode, and not because you can carve and surf on the hydrofoil?

I’m wondering about this too. I size down from 5m to 3.5m at 18kn. I can’t imagine riding a 5m in 30kn.

If we had those conditions where I live I’d be on a 2m or smaller if I could find one.
It's about the boost for our crew. Sometimes I opt for cruising....but not uncommon for someone to be on a 4m well powered and there are some of us on 8 or 10 jacked on speed wings.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Only when there isn't enough wind for a twintip. And that's 6-13 knots.
There is so much light wind ways available, I'll get enough foiling days. It's nice variation to kiting when you can do different things in different winds

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 pm

Year round. 56N.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 am
apollo4000 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 am
Do you hydrofoil all year around in all weathers or just through the summer months in lighter winds.
I foil in 8-14 knots, all year round. If it's more than that I'll ride my SB. I only foil with Peak 4's too, no more LEI foiling for me.
Me too.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:05 am

When do you hydrofoil?
When the conditions call for it, duh!

Typically that would be sub 18kts when I can't really have fun on a surfboard in waves. Although if there are no decent waves, I can happily foil in strong wind, which is fun in its own right. I'm still open to flat water TT sometimes, or to a low tide blast on a buggy. It's good to have all options covered.

Return to “Hydrofoil”