Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What foil.

Postby Floating around » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 am

Foil wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:30 pm
if you decide not to go for a great Moses carbon set up then don't ever pick one up to feel the lack of weight, avoid any moses owners you see on the beach, and god forbid someone offering you a go on the 633wing with standard 483 stab combination, either on a 91 or 101 mast, standard carbon of course.
regret can eat you up, and cost you much more as you try to sell on to get the moses gear.
mind you I checked the moses web site earlier, they are sold out of so much gear its silly, not one board available and most rig combinations are sold out, crazy!
good luck.
:D point taken, i currently own one heavy and one VERY heavy foil setup. not going down that road again! carbon all the way.

I had also noticed that the Moses sight is sold out of almost everything. strange, making space for 2021? US shops still seem to have stock.

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 am

toyletbowl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Hey......what's up Floating Around?

Good stuff on here.

Grigory knows the Moses gear really well and giving really good advice above.

I sell Moses and also Armstrong. The Armstrong gear is a little more expensive, and you get a lot fewer options overall which can make things easier.

If you really like to play around with different things, Moses is an excellent option. If you prefer a more plug and play option, the Armstrong foils are amazing.
The fit and quality is second to none and they only offer a few fuselage and rear wing options, so it's easier to then concentrate on what front wing and mast length you want.

For your riding, I'd recommend the 85cm mast and the HS 1050 front wing. The CF 1200 front wing and CF 800 are also really fun for kiting.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. i hadn't really thought about Armstrong although i should have as they are from NZ as am I. that is also why i was also thinking about J shapes.
I will have a look at your website and drop you an email.

Thanks.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:38 am

Trends toward higher aspect wings is not really a kbhf thing. It’s from winging and prone surf where they need the efficiency just to stay up. Just like board rocker vs flat. Those wings have the efficiency but it comes at the cost of some fun in the ride. Now that there are so many other foiling options the wings are not evolving solely in our favour.

Lift are underrated. They also have their head elsewhere but the classic wing in 170 is money. Your right about their boards tho. A typical kite designed pocket board will do a better job.

Rode strutless for a couple years, picked up single strut kites to try but that was short lived. Prefer strutless for pure foiling but ended up getting Peaks. All of them are drift launch able. Peaks being the easiest once you figure it out and get a bit of practice.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:25 am

What would people recommend as smallest size board to learn on? Would like to get one I won’t want to replace in 5 minutes. I weigh 65kg but not sure if it’s as relevant to board choice as other disciplines.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:25 am
What would people recommend as smallest size board to learn on? Would like to get one I won’t want to replace in 5 minutes. I weigh 65kg but not sure if it’s as relevant to board choice as other disciplines.
Weight does make a big difference in choosing board volume when learning. You don't want something that you can never ever surface ride, that's basically all I'll say about choosing a learning board. Getting something that you would think, "man this thing just will NOT work without being on foil," is a mistake for a first board in my opinion.

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm
andylc wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:25 am
Weight does make a big difference in choosing board volume when learning. You don't want something that you can never ever surface ride, that's basically all I'll say about choosing a learning board. Getting something that you would think, "man this thing just will NOT work without being on foil," is a mistake for a first board in my opinion.
I learnt on a Simulator but its a bit of a tank of a board.. too big IMO.. but very easy to balance on . I've seen two people learn from complete scratch on the dwarfcraft 4'6" with the spaceskate now. One was experienced on a SB and picked it up really quick. The other was just getting gybes down on a SB.. was able to get up and ride up wind reliably in 2 or 3 sessions.. going toeside in 5 or 6 sessions..

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:26 pm

Ketos also has an excellent product, wide but not confusing selection of wings. The price is less than it looks because they include Euro taxes on their website so is in line with other carbon brands. Everything works together so it makes it easy. No trimming front back with different wings. No different fuselage for different wing sets. Easy.

Their single screw box connection is really top notch compared to a plate connection if you like to dissasemble. And complete disassembly is perfect for travel.

Is lighter than Moses.

I would recommend Pocket 134 board, 85-90 cm mast Kool1200 wing and SFR stab for a first setup. Pocket 118 board and WaveXL wing (smaller faster than 1200) also a reasonable choice to learn.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:32 pm

That makes sense re board size, in which case 130-140 should be ok for me.
Moses boards seem quite reasonable considering, masts and wings not so much, although just noticed no track system which may end up being annoying.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 21, 2023 8:18 am

neilhapgood wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:57 pm
I then moved down again to the escape 510 for again less drag and just pure glide
Were you happy with this foil? is it a good option for 60kg rider to speed , boost and jump ? no race requirement

Return to “Hydrofoil”