climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Forum for snow- and landkiters
prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby prop_joe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Looks an interesting read but it's a bs signup jobby. Anywhere else?

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pm

you can make it as complicated as you like , the simple fact is farming needs predicable weather patterns with in a very small margin , and as the last few summers -particulary the last 3 summers have shown us that predicable weather is long gone , what we have now is extremes ,drought, 2 months rain in 3 hours ,storms , winds that create huge damage, arable farming doesn't stand a chance,with stability fast running away

prop_joe
Frequent Poster

Postby prop_joe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm
Making less land arable, would mean that that land would need to be farmed more intensely, with much more environmental destruction going along with that increasing intensity.
Been finding your post very interesting but struggling to believe the above statement, I would have thought the overall impact would still be reduced even if the intensity went up. Surely theres a limit to how intensly you can farm? I suppose the level of land reduction and intensity of farming would need to be quantified to really work it out.

Rather than others trying to disprove can you not provide any links to vids\articles backing up what your saying? I'd just rather see it from a dude in a labcoat and glasses as opposed to a guy that rides rails with a mutant and life jacket :lol: ;)

prop_joe
Frequent Poster

Postby prop_joe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 pm

slide wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pm
you can make it as complicated as you like , the simple fact is farming needs predicable weather patterns with in a very small margin , and as the last few summers -particulary the last 3 summers have shown us that predicable weather is long gone , what we have now is extremes ,drought, 2 months rain in 3 hours ,storms , winds that create huge damage, arable farming doesn't stand a chance,with stability fast running away
Finally..... welcome to the conversation :thumb:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Ah. The statistical significance of 3 summers. Of course slide can back that up with proper data - showing that weather (not specifically to some geographical areas - so we should assume it is weather for all places on this planet) is now more unpredictable than it used to be. And "used to be" is based on data from probably millions of years.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:51 pm

slide wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pm
This is as wrong as you possibly could be. I live in a region where agriculture is the main economic driver. This region produces food for the rest of the world. In my lifetime, which I admit is insignificant, I have seen droughts and deluges.

Virtually nowhere on this Earth where you can produce enough food to feed the world, will you find a stable climate. And there are even observational records going back hundreds of years on this.

The archaeological record even shows that many places that were the cradle of civilization, had climatic shifts which ended the large-scale agricultural production in those areas that supported the first civilizations. And inside of those good times in those once arable locations, you will find records of drought and flood times.

The life of a farmer has always been dictated by the weather and the weather's extremes from year to year. This is absolutely, and without any question, not a part of natural or anthropogenic climate change.

The only thing that you can reasonably state about the weather or climate with regards to farming, is that cooling is devastating to Mankind's survival.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:03 pm

prop_joe wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm
Making less land arable, would mean that that land would need to be farmed more intensely, with much more environmental destruction going along with that increasing intensity.
Been finding your post very interesting but struggling to believe the above statement, I would have thought the overall impact would still be reduced even if the intensity went up. Surely theres a limit to how intensly you can farm? I suppose the level of land reduction and intensity of farming would need to be quantified to really work it out.
The common term for the intensity in which you farm is "inputs". Inputs include working the soil and the energy that goes into that, adding natural amendments to the soil, controlling pH and a host of other factors regarding the chemical composition of the soil, along with fertilizer and herbicides/pesticides. Also you can factor in irrigation as part of the cost in addition to the above.

With crop rotation, you can plant a revitalizing crop in between or even for a few years before you plant a more lucrative crop. However, you can also just add fertilizers and pesticides and irrigate at a optimal rate and time to skip this rest cycle. With increasing inputs, you can increase yields. But this does take its toll as you find more and more herbicide-resistant weeds and pesticide-resistant pests. In this scenario, Agricultural Science takes over and typically produces new herbicides and pesticides along with genetically engineering higher yield crops.

So while there may be an upper limit in the current time frame, in the future we can genetic engineer, precisely irrigate, and dump loads of herbicides and pesticides on crops with increasing yields per acre.

The real worry, but you cannot quantify it's actual Threat Level, is that at sometime we genetically engineer our self into a corner. And as we're seeing now, herbicide and pesticide resistance issues already are happening with no environmentally safe solution in sight.

prop_joe wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm
I'd just rather see it from a dude in a labcoat and glasses as opposed to a guy that rides rails with a mutant and life jacket :lol: ;)
Proppy, I can certainly do some pictures riding that rail in a lab coat and glasses if that's your thing! I'm all up for doing whatever you and everyone else thinks is cool! :superfly:

No, actually I'm more likely to go against the grain - at least once I figured out that the group mentality is a little bit off in its assessment or narrative. It's amazing that more kite boarders aren't a bit more innovative and original in their thinking. But peer pressure is a big factor in how most kiters approach kite boarding. For me for many years now, just looking cool has lost out to having a good roller coaster ride and doing what makes me feel good.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
prop_joe (Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

hasnain
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot

Postby hasnain » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:26 am

What is this crap? Give me the TLDR version.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:44 am

hasnain wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:26 am
What is this crap? Give me the TLDR version.
If you use lots of surface or groundwater to keep your crops watered at the right time, and if you use tons of fertilizer and chemicals on your crops, replant the same exact crops on the same piece of land over and over again, then you genetic engineer the hell out of your seeds, you can strip the soil of pretty much every nutrient and everything living, and have a very abundant crop.

Turns out this is bad for the environment.

With more land available, or even simply less demand for crops, this intensive farming is not required to supply the world with food.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:35 am

a BIG SHOUT OUT to extinction rebellion this morning after they have held protests outside 3 of murdoch paper printing factories stopping production and delivery to outlets because of his refusal to print anything about climate change in his tabloids, which they don't

Return to “Snow / Land”