Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leaking problem with Naish Torch 2011

Forum for kitesurfers
GrodanBoll
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Leaking problem with Naish Torch 2011

Postby GrodanBoll » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 pm

I have a Naish Torch kite with octopus system which is leaking air from the base of one of the struts. As you can see from the attached photo where I have sprayed soap water the air is obviously leaking out where the LE connects to the strut. Opening the zipper reveals the valve, but the design of the valve and the connection is not really making it easier to understand how the issue can be fixed... does anyone know have to repair this leakage?
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Joostio
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Comox Valley, the Spit
Style: Strapless
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: CKR Comox Kite Repair

Re: Leaking problem with Naish Torch 2011

Postby Joostio » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:16 pm

There are a few places it could be leaking in that area and the age of the kite makes the valve to bladder glued connections very suspect.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:55 pm

It's a Naish Octopus system, google how to remove and repair them. Essentially the connection is sealed in place with PTFE tape. I would pull the strut bladder out and check for leaks, if you can't find one then it's the connections that are leaking, clean and retape with PTFE and pump up to check.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Sorry no actual experience on the octopus but if you cannot find a leak and have to disassemble I have seen pipe separating pliers recommended as a useful tool, need to be appropriate size of course. Have seen pictures on this forum of tool suggested.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Sorry no actual experience on the octopus but if you cannot find a leak and have to disassemble I have seen pipe separating pliers recommended as a useful tool
That's not how the Octopus system works. The male connection pushes inside the main bladder connection and PTFE tape seals the join, you don't need pipe seperating tools just dexterous fingers. Pipe sepertaing tools work well on almost every other one pump brand.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Grodenboll

Suggest you search forum for "Naish Repair Hack" you might be able to make your own mind up regarding separating pliers. Personally I would try with fingers first as suggested above but the thread looks like it would be useful to you if only to see photos of disassembled item. Also has photo of recommended pliers. See pg1 of the thread!

Regards Herman

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:15 pm

I read that thread, interesting. I stand corrected!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:27 pm

This might be a super easy fix. When you use the PTFE tape make sure you do not use too much. It should not require a lot to seal it up.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Get your fingers in there and pull off the strut. You want to pull back the fabric so you can see what your doing. Now test that one strut. I always have a spare male naish valve in my tool kit to make it easy to test. If the strut is not the problem then it's the male valve inside the kite. This is where the naish hell begins. You have to pull off enough struts so you can pull the bladder out and inspect that one valve. Some people pull the entire leading edge bladder off I do just as much as possible no more. Once you have a naish valve that works don't touch it! Anyway you'll see the valve and about half the time on 10 year old naish the male part is broken clear off and you have to buy a new valve. Buy 3 because trust me when one of the male valves loses its flexibility all the valves are going. It's possible to ride a ride like that for years but usually just taking the bladder out is enough to snap some more male valves of they are ready to go. The female valves can crack too watch out for that it will look like the valve is not attached and you'll keep trying to restick it when instead there's an invisible tear near the valve. It's not economical to do a full restick with new valves at 12 or 13 valves at $15 per valve you easily exceed the value of the kite. Good luck and get back to us to share your own naish repair story when you do fix it.

If it's just the female part that's the one on the strut you are in luck and will be a simple repair

Don't use pliers lol it comes off easy with your fingers the problem is putting it back on you have to get it aligned and put that string in the corner

You'll see what it's like once you get started

If you decide after reading all the advice to toss the kite nobody will think bad of you. Even on non octopus kites when the valves start to go usually there's more than one bad valve

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 pm

In addition to PTFE tape around the male valve, there is a donut shaped seal that fits between the male and female parts of the connection. Sometimes these donut "washers" deteriorate and break, and the seal is compromised. If the donut "washer" is broken or absent, then the connection might not be tight. This can also cause a slow leak.

Return to “Kitesurfing”