Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby turfAndsurf » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:43 pm

@Pana and @Adamj2281 looking forward to that review. In the past I have not been to keen on surf kites because in lulls you really had to work the kites to keep them from dropping. I had tried the 12 M Roam and the Reo and both would want to drop in lulls. So I'm hoping that it will be a different story with the Aluula kites.
These users thanked the author turfAndsurf for the post:
svenpronk (Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:10 am

Has anybody tried the 7m roam aluula?
Curious to see if it has the same « ridiculously low wind flight ability » and « extremely good high end » characteristics as the 10m...

Mikie2
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Woodman Point
Cottesloe
City Beach
Brighton
Trigg
Style: Wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula

Postby Mikie2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Pierrot, My 7m Roam Aluula arrived a little over two weeks ago now. I’ve kited with it on many sub 15knots sessions since with a small wave foil and on one surf session in 18-28 knot gusty winter session. I’m totally blown away by this kite! In low wind it just doesn’t stall, amazingly fast and light. It rockets ups the window very nicely. No power drop out when turning. I have no fear of dropping nor not being able to relaunch in low wind. When riding towards the kite and lines go slack, the kite just stays high in the window ready to generate power with a kiteloop. Not super grunty but this is great for not pulling you off edge when turning. Power is soooo smooth. Amazing. In the surf on super gusty day, what was most noticeable was the stiffness of the kite. Rock solid! The gusts were waaaay less noticeable and I didn’t have to bar in and out constantly to “catch” the kite. I didn’t hear the canopy flap at all during this session. I suffer from tennis elbow but the light bar pressure meant I had no elbow issues after this long session. Despite the light bar pressure, you seemed to know where the kite was at all times, being where you wanted it to be. The 7m is amazing I just ordered a 9m but honestly, I considered the 7m as a one kite quiver for this coming WA summer. Can’t speak more highly of this kite. Well worth the extra $ in my opinion. 2 kite quiver when you otherwise would want 3 saves you $ in my mind.
These users thanked the author Mikie2 for the post (total 5):
Pierrot (Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:53 pm) • alkiter (Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm) • y2kBug (Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:11 pm) • sshantt (Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:12 pm) • Gestalt (Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 am)
Rating: 15.15%

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:49 am

Mikie2 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:12 pm
Pierrot, My 7m Roam Aluula arrived a little over two weeks ago now. I’ve kited with it on many sub 15knots sessions since with a small wave foil and on one surf session in 18-28 knot gusty winter session. I’m totally blown away by this kite! In low wind it just doesn’t stall, amazingly fast and light. It rockets ups the window very nicely. No power drop out when turning. I have no fear of dropping nor not being able to relaunch in low wind. When riding towards the kite and lines go slack, the kite just stays high in the window ready to generate power with a kiteloop. Not super grunty but this is great for not pulling you off edge when turning. Power is soooo smooth. Amazing. In the surf on super gusty day, what was most noticeable was the stiffness of the kite. Rock solid! The gusts were waaaay less noticeable and I didn’t have to bar in and out constantly to “catch” the kite. I didn’t hear the canopy flap at all during this session. I suffer from tennis elbow but the light bar pressure meant I had no elbow issues after this long session. Despite the light bar pressure, you seemed to know where the kite was at all times, being where you wanted it to be. The 7m is amazing I just ordered a 9m but honestly, I considered the 7m as a one kite quiver for this coming WA summer. Can’t speak more highly of this kite. Well worth the extra $ in my opinion. 2 kite quiver when you otherwise would want 3 saves you $ in my mind.
Pretty much what I was expecting to read... too bad...
I need one now :angryfire:
These users thanked the author Pierrot for the post:
Mikie2 (Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Sbrinckman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Marina muiderzand
Favorite Beaches: Taiba
Cabarete
Mauritius
Sal
Style: wave and foil
Gear: Aluula Roam and Crave
Peak 5
Maverick kite
Arribarriba wave board
DSD Stallion wave board
Sabfoil T22, T38, 633 wing, 899, 1100 wing
F-one 100L, 85L wing board, 1240 phantom foil
Triton T1 monowing
AK durable 65L wingboard

Postby Sbrinckman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:55 pm

I fly a 10m Aluula Roam. I love the high end especially compared to my previous one strutter. I think with a 7m I could almost cover the entire windrange. Anyone has this combo?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:19 pm

I flew a 14m Aluula Roma back to back with a Core 15m XR4, on a twin tip and it was super interesting. Kite turn much much faster, and kept me going through the lulls better. It didn't handle the gusts as well, so it felt like I was going from underpowered to way overpowered in very little time (probably not a fair comparison since the XR series seems really good on gusts0. Overall was intrigued by what's possible, but probably wouldn't for for one in order to twin tip. Maybe for foiling, but I'll definitely keep an eye on what they come out with.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 am

bkkite wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:19 pm
I flew a 14m Aluula Roma back to back with a Core 15m XR4, on a twin tip ... It didn't handle the gusts as well, so it felt like I was going from underpowered to way overpowered in very little time.
Might be something to do with the Flite more than with aluula... i’m actually amazed at the high end of the roam 10 and how well it handles gusts.
Another amazing session on foil today after work. When I arrived, people (on same type of foil) were coming off the water on 8-9-10m claiming they were close to be overpowered. I only had the 10m, went out and had a blast. Not being someone who over analyse how I fly the kite, it is a bit difficult to explain the feeling of flying such a rigid and stable kite... in « strong(ish) » wind it is like flying a blade. but definitely the most fun, playful and easiest kite I ever used on a foil!

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm

bkkite wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:19 pm
I flew a 14m Aluula Roma back to back with a Core 15m XR4,
I hear the Roam 14 are not out yet ? Was it a demo or a flite ?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Maybe it was an flite :)

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:08 pm

I don't think it was the Flite. My experience with it in gusts was great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”