Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2, 1 or no Leash? A Case by Case discussion?

Forum for wing surfers
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

2, 1 or no Leash? A Case by Case discussion?

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:13 pm

After many different ugly leash combinations tested, I started to be happy with my last long coiled wing leash and the extra short, releasable board leash attachent on my harness ...
Kitejunkie-Wingboard-Leash-Attachment.jpg
... but then I started rethinking: Is there even any leash necessary, at least in the normal wind no wave conditions in combination with a wing with a not floating boom?

My impression is: No.
For sure without a wing leash there is the risk to shoot another surfer with the wing if riding in crowded areas and also Balz Müller who seems to ride sometimes without leash for some tricks does not recommend this.

But about the board leash many said that the board will drift away, which for sure is true for beginners or wave spots, on the other hand looking at good riders to me it seems less and less especially with small boards ride with board leashes. Tested myself, it is pretty easy in normal winds, to flip the wing while swimming to a nose down position and drift that way faster than the board, so in normal winds without to much waves not a problem to get the board back, isn't it?

To add another point to the discussion in the video from Jaime Herraiz
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=2407574&p=1110386#p1110386
it looks like that he uses a leash inbetween boards nose and wing, anybody tried that, from theory, why not?
Last edited by Horst Sergio on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2, 1 or no Leash? A case by case discussion?

Postby Eltreato » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 pm

I would think kitefoilers would be the strongest proponents of board leashes, we all know how fast a foilboard can get away from us downwind, it has to be experienced to be believed. Same goes with wing boards. We also know that a wing can't be loaded up the same way a kite can that's dragging someone with a board leash. Maybe if I had an onshore wave spot with nobody around I'd consider not using one, but it's not like that scenario is ever going to happen.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:34 am

The most depressing thing is having a foilboard about 50mm out of reach, swimming as fast as you possibly can, and that gap just gets bigger and bigger.

At the moment I am pretty happy with a waist leash worn a little loose. It's easy to push the leash around to keep it out of the way.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

§½

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Eltreato wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 pm
Snip...
We also know that a wing can't be loaded up the same way a kite can that's dragging someone with a board leash.
Snip...

I disagree.

I both kite and wingfoil.

With a wing, you can load the wing up when really windy yes, but it does not transfer into slinghot risks IMO.

As soon as you have left the board, the load dissapears superfast.

Not so with a kite looping - it will yank or teabag you if looped or really windy, and this secondary delayed pull is what causes the risk of your board/foil slingshot'ing at you.
A wing wont teabag you, in fact a problem to get ashore as you can not use the wing to help you faster towards shore, IF you for some reason have lost your board.

This is also why the board leash is essential.

There is another scenario, that is if a bigger wave catches the board and drag it away, that can be really hard on your leg having a leash, havent tried this with a waist leash, but should not give the same injury risk.

The wing leash, hmmm, most often you could ride without, but risky as if you lose the wing in some wind, it will tumble over and over on the water surface, and might get destroyed when it hits something...
You can easily paddle back in yes, but the wing might take its own journey before you 8)

The boardnose to wing leash sounds interesting, but I have not tried it.

Still in doubt whether I prefer a wing hand leash or a wing waist leash, both has pros and cons :wink:

8) Peter

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:34 am
The most depressing thing is having a foilboard about 50mm out of reach, swimming as fast as you possibly can, and that gap just gets bigger and bigger.

At the moment I am pretty happy with a waist leash worn a little loose. It's easy to push the leash around to keep it out of the way.
X2. It is an awful feeling to see your board sailing away faster than you can swim. And even worse in side off wind. I am leashed always now, after learning my lesson.

Board leash is a kite reel leash attached to a waist belt or now to back of harness.

Wing leash I find better to attach to waist also, but not to same waist belt as board (in case it breaks and you lose both). I am finding ozone leash annoying, tends to wrap around my big head...going to experiment with other options, coil, or maybe a 2nd kite reel.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Some beaches do have leash laws on the books. I am about to start trying the wing thing just waiting on our windy season. I will be dual leashing it. Need to modify up an old harness I guess.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Re: 2, 1 or no Leash? A CASE by CASE discussion?

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Ok, noticed that CASE by CASE decisions can get complicated :wink:

For my case 90% lake winger (< 10 km running wind wave) @ < 20 knts I think I am just going to make a video to explain how easily get back your board in those conditions, ... or going to lose my board while trying :o , already installed another quick release to board side of my leash. Let's see how it will work. :D

And maybe also going to try the Jaime Herraiz setup, just have hoped somebody else has experience apart from of the shelf stuff.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2, 1 or no Leash? A Case by Case discussion?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:38 pm

I was thinking about this thread, and today while out with a 5 m2, and both leashes, I once stopped, hopped in the water, and found out if I put the wing on its back, and leaned a bit over the front tube, and pulled the boom (or handles) up, I drifted quite fast with the wind, and comfortable.

So this would be a good option to get ashore IF you lost your board, as compared to swimming.

I dont think I can go sideways though, which is needed if out in sideshore conditions...

If the wind drops to nothing, you can sit on your board, holding the wing up almost perpendicular to the wind, at the rear of the boom or at the rear handles, and drift ashore quite fast this way.
If your board permits in volume, you can have both legs up and out in front of you, it will go A LOT faster, than if sitting with legs around the board and in the water, so much more drag that it goes really slow, compared.

I have seen, and once experienced myself, a loose wing.
Wind will tumble it over and over on the water, so going without a wing leash is really risky IMO :wink:

8) Peter

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Re: 2, 1 or no Leash? A CASE by CASE discussion?

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:57 am

Made my decission,
for my case:
lake freestyle winging (< 10 km running wind wave) @ < 20 knts

I now will be without board leash :D as relevant more compfortable and no delay if draging for the board, which is rarely necessary and if, I am more than twice as fast in my case conditions:
Kitejunkie-Wingfoil-leashless-draging.jpg
"Hello little blue rubber boat, I am faster than you!" :P
Kitejunkie-Wingfoil-Railey2.jpg
Feels better to me after sorting missed tricks.

About Wing leash I will try some day, but agree that it feels more special to avoid that one.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2, 1 or no Leash? A Case by Case discussion?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Yes Horst, it is how I found it works, keeping the wing a bit upright (but not 90 degrees)

If a 4 m2 wing in close to or maybe +20 knots, you (I) can not hold it perpendicular, but not needed, as soon as you raise it even a few degrees, it will take you quite fast downwind :thumb:

Can not go without my board leash though, as every time I fall, I pull the board to me with the (waist) leash.
If I should drag to the board with the wing every time, it would be a hassle and a waste of time.

Especially in the surf, even small waves will pull the board away towards shore really fast sometimes :wink:

The ankle leash has been ditched long time ago, no good :wink:

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”