Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Max 360 3D Printed Loop Mount

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

GoPro Max 360 3D Printed Loop Mount

Postby norcom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Finally had a chance to test the 3d printed GoPro Max mount I designed a while back. It worked great! Tested it over two days and never once had the lines get caught during many loops. It's still possible to tangle with this mount, specially if you drop the kite in the water and the lines go slack. So please be careful if you decide to use it!

Surprisingly it worked great with just one plug on the fixed center kite line. GoPro Max stabilization handled everything else perfectly. I was thinking the lack of retention area around the line would make it too unstable. Feeding the lines through the mount priot to rigging is a bit of a pain.

If anyone is interested in printing one out and testing, you can grab the stl file on Thingiverse here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4596783

If anyone prints one and decides to use it, I would love to see the shots of how it turns out!
linemountshot.png
maxmount.jpg
Here are two test videos. One is a full 360 degree you can rotate with the mouse/phone. The other is the one I made a 16:9 cut off. It's using only the GoPro horizon and stabilization.
Full 360 video, 4k

1080p
Last edited by norcom on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
Kash (Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro Max 360 3D Printed Loop Mount

Postby Kash » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Congratz. Looks quite good. Can you post a small sample video ? Also - how does it get attached to the lines? The holes are pretty big - doesnt it move all the way ?

P.S. I just sunk my Gopro few days ago due to a fragile plastic of a 3D printed mount that was promoted here on forum as well. I guess I could have secured it to prevent it from falling into sea, but after like 5 times of use it looked solid, but it was not :(

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 pm

Cool design, looks like one I just ordered

https://www.milehighluggage.com/product ... ine-mount/

Waiting for it in the mail, so I'll let you know how it performs.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Kash wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:32 pm
Congratz. Looks quite good. Can you post a small sample video ? Also - how does it get attached to the lines? The holes are pretty big - doesnt it move all the way ?

P.S. I just sunk my Gopro few days ago due to a fragile plastic of a 3D printed mount that was promoted here on forum as well. I guess I could have secured it to prevent it from falling into sea, but after like 5 times of use it looked solid, but it was not :(
The Thingiverse link includes a plug stl. You run the lines through the holes and insert the plug into the side with the FIXED center line; not your safety line.
Here's an older thread you can check about the idea.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2405954&start=10

I'll try to post a video.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 pm

bkkite wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 pm
Cool design, looks like one I just ordered

https://www.milehighluggage.com/product ... ine-mount/

Waiting for it in the mail, so I'll let you know how it performs.
The mount you posted lines up the rider between the lenseses, in the stitch area. It also has cut-outs to make the installation easier on the lines. The problem with those is that while looping the cutouts can catch on the lines.

The idea behind my design is that one camera is always pointint at the rider and you can loop the kite with less worry about the mount or camera grabbing the lines. The drawback is that you have to run the lines through the holes in order to not have anything that could grab the lines on the mount.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm

Kash wrote:

Sorry to hear that, which one was it? I've been using the shapeways for my gopro max. Seems solid. Biggest drawback is that the on/off button can't be used and the effing gopro remote won't turn it on reliably.

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6

Postby Kash » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm
Kash wrote:

Sorry to hear that, which one was it? I've been using the shapeways for my gopro max. Seems solid. Biggest drawback is that the on/off button can't be used and the effing gopro remote won't turn it on reliably.
Yes, its the same as you using, my friend. It looks somewhat sturdy, but its actually rather fragile. What I think happened is that safety line got stuck as I was using depower quite a lot that session (i was on directional and overpowered), then I pulled harder for the line to straighten, but the mount just snapped in half and the camera just flew away. So I guess you should anyway secure camera to a line..

But otherwise that design is very nice. The only problem is that it tends to rotate a bit too much during the loops.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Kash wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm
flying doctor wrote:
Kash wrote:

Yes, its the same as you using, my friend. It looks somewhat sturdy, but its actually rather fragile. What I think happened is that safety line got stuck as I was using depower quite a lot that session (i was on directional and overpowered), then I pulled harder for the line to straighten, but the mount just snapped in half and the camera just flew away. So I guess you should anyway secure camera to a line..

But otherwise that design is very nice. The only problem is that it tends to rotate a bit too much during the loops.
Ouch! Seeing your camera vanish into the sea must hurt a little..

Did you use a screw to attach it to the mount? I was under the impression that this would secure the camera to one of either halves in case of something breaking. And the halves should stick to the lines right?

I'll use a tether from now on anyway..

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:58 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Kash wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm
flying doctor wrote:

Ouch! Seeing your camera vanish into the sea must hurt a little..

Did you use a screw to attach it to the mount? I was under the impression that this would secure the camera to one of either halves in case of something breaking. And the halves should stick to the lines right?

I'll use a tether from now on anyway..
What material did you print your mounts with? PLA is pretty weak and will just snap. ABS is a bit stronger but still has a tendency to snap. PETG is probably the only other thing I would print this with. I printed mine using Taulman PCTPE which is a nylon blend, I believe. I did a lot of tests, check my other threads. But even with nylon, there's still a chance of snapping. Really depends on the way it was printed and the adhesion of layers during the print.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm

I got a mount from mentese labs.
Works great
See below vid I just did, it shows a few clips with it

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CFKPuYqDet ... c8idesczcx

https://menteselabs.com/
It’s 3D printed, but very robust material with threaded inserts.

Return to “Gear Builders”