HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)
Brand Affiliation: None

Knee Braces in 2020

Postby HugoMC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

So I have been kiting 6 months now after an ACL reconstruction. No major incidents but my BracePimp Custom brace is toast. It looks like it has been throw the wars, all the straps are worn out, hinges are rusting, paint is chipped, and all of the clasps are held together with tape & zip ties. Currently looking at replacing it with a CTI. Any other suggestions? Anyone ever tried 24mx braces.
These users thanked the author HugoMC for the post:
Ludmil (Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Knee Braces in 2020

Postby TheJoe » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 am

I would go with a CTI if you can get your doctor to prescribe it. I have not messed my knees up yet so I don't need one. When my knees are bothering me I do wear an ace bandage compression wrap with batons in it. I would recommend asking your doctor though what is right to use. He knows your knee better than any of us on the internet.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:19 am

I have a custom CTI and am pretty happy with it. It is two years old with about a year of very frequent use in salt water and still works fine. I would rinse it in fresh water at the beginning but gave up on that pretty early on. Still fine regardless. I believe they will even refurbish it for a modest cost but it’s fine. At this point i probably don’t need it but its like a security blanket. If i plan on doing a lot of jumping i will put it on. It definitely helps mitigate twisting witch still aggravates my knee. The pounding from jumping still hurts but a brace wont reduce impacts on the meniscus. I think a custom brace CTI can be had for under 1k dollars. Years ago they were 2k, so for what you get i think they are a bargain.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 am

I have torn my ACL&MCL in 2017 and haven't had surgery on the knee. I started skiing 2 months after the injury and had been using a DonJoy A22 custom knee brace since. First summer I used the brace when kiteboarding, but stopped for the consequent seasons as my knee is pain free and pretty stable. Currently I am using the brace when playing basketball and skiing, but it held up nicely during my kiteboarding sessions. DonJoy A22 is really lightweight(titanium) and low profile while providing adequate support. Very comfortable to wear for hours as well. It is worth considering alongside CTI.

docfox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Neusiedl, Austria
Gear: Ozone since 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby docfox » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:58 am

Hi HugoMC,

you can go for the custom CTI.I prescribe it after ACL Surgery for my patients who are into watersports again.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 pm

docfox wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:58 am
Hi HugoMC,

you can go for the custom CTI.I prescribe it after ACL Surgery for my patients who are into watersports again.
I currently have a Donjoy Armour Fourcepoint brace which works pretty well in stabilising my damaged left ACL. The brace is coming to the end of It's life and I've been considering replacing it with a custom Donjoy Defiance 3 brace. I live near the sea and use the brace whenever there's wind, and also when skiing once or twice a year (in normal times). I don't jump any more because I've been told that one really bad twisted landing could mean a new knee ...

What is the difference in functionality between the Fourcepoint, Defiance, A22, and CTI braces, please?

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm

@iriejohn - I do not think there is any difference in functionality between those 3. As far as I know Defiance and A22 differ mainly in materials, weight and profile. The Defiance being the sturdier, heavy duty brace, while A22 - the low profile and lightweight but compromising in protection against heavier impacts/loads.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:11 pm

HugoMC wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm
So I have been kiting 6 months now after an ACL reconstruction. No major incidents but my BracePimp Custom brace is toast. It looks like it has been throw the wars, all the straps are worn out, hinges are rusting, paint is chipped, and all of the clasps are held together with tape & zip ties. Currently looking at replacing it with a CTI. Any other suggestions? Anyone ever tried 24mx braces.
I highly recommend POD brace.
Their customer service is second to none too.
https://www.podactive.com/k8-knee-brace-unbreakable/
These users thanked the author Ludmil for the post:
zlatko23 (Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:47 pm

Welcome to the ACL club! I used both a Donjoy and a CTI. The CTI was better quality, but the Donjoy fit more comfortably and was more bang for the buck.

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Ludmil wrote:
HugoMC wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm
I highly recommend POD brace.
Their customer service is second to none too.
https://www.podactive.com/k8-knee-brace-unbreakable/
I have the same POD K8 knee braces that i only use when i ride motocross,
But a off the shelf brace like the pods cannot compare to custom CTI, don joy or Ortema. I have no knee damage and only use them to prevent damage, but 98% of all top athletes use custom braces. Pod also customizes the braces for their athletes but they dont sell them . I had custom CTI2's when I was younger and was happy with them, but most in the MX community agree that Ortemas braces and patella cup is the most comfy solution that dont slide down and is prefered if budget allows.
If u can get them covered my choice would absolutely go for Ortemas braces.. many insurance companies cover these braces.. same with CTI or Donjoy .. my problems with CTI was that they slide down and they have not really evolved the last 15 years.. If money is an issue then Pod or a cti off the shelf brace will do good.. but they dont compare to custom braces... Also Pod's patella cup is not good enough imho, but thats a non issue for water sport..

Check with insurance, or if u live in a developed country, what the health system covers and try to go that route first...

This is a interesting article https://www.pinkbike.com/news/inside-or ... ducer.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”