Boxer Water Re-Launch?

Forum for kitesurfers
AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boxer Water Re-Launch?

Postby AndersP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Use your board to block yourself from drifting. It makes a huge difference in marginal winds.

You can sit on the board rodeo style with the nose high in the air or even better, have your board tilted degrees 90 from surface and 90 degrees from the kite.
Keep the bar over the board. That will keep drifting to a minimum. Just watch your lines compared to the foil..
If it still doesn't work pull the frontline that goes all the way down to the chickenloop and the opposite steering line. Pull some depower.
Try to get the kite to balance on one edge and let it slowly come closer to the edge of wind window.
Then pull a little bit more on the steering line and it will leave the water and get up in the air.

If it still doesn't work, wait for a gust or prepare for a swim...

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 pm

How do you sit on the board (say about 20L displacement)? The board sinks, but it still wants to surface. I have to actively balance, so that doing anything extra, like relaunching the kite is seemingly impossible. If the I tilt the nose high, the balance is lost easily. Or, as always, the answer is more practice?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:02 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 pm
How do you sit on the board (say about 20L displacement)? The board sinks, but it still wants to surface. I have to actively balance, so that doing anything extra, like relaunching the kite is seemingly impossible. If the I tilt the nose high, the balance is lost easily. Or, as always, the answer is more practice?
The 633 wing will make the board difficult to sit on, very floaty. That’s where a heavier alloy foil has an advantage, it will actually help stabilise the board.
And regarding water relaunch with the boxer, your gear is going to get you going in really light winds. Under 10 knots there isn’t much wind on the water surface so relaunch will become problematic. I have the 8mtr Cloud and make sure I stay close to shore when using it in the lower wind ranges on a big wing.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:59 am

airsail wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:02 pm
I have the 8mtr Cloud and make sure I stay close to shore when using it in the lower wind ranges on a big wing.
My 8m Cloud has been my light wind foiling kite for over 2 years. Knock on wood, but it's rare for me to swim or rescue with that 8. The light wind launch and ride through near nothing is great. I purchased the Boxer because I like the "lift" is provides at noon for tacks (which I'm %.0001 at)
I think the only reason so far that this Boxer hits the water is that I will split second forget it's not a Cloud and doesn't pivot rotate turn as quick. I'll do a fancy action too close and slam the water.
Thank You

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Check out this video from around 2.40

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 pm

I have a 12m Boxer 2020 and if it gets on its back its a water anchor in light wind. With a medium NP glide I can get going in 10 knots. But if it hits the water I'm done. I think there is something wrong with the design. I drift launch every time I kite. So my thing has always been, if I can't water launch its a no go. But in the boxer case it launches great when its on the leading edge, just rolls right over and up. But like I said, if it gets on its trailing edge its over.

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:51 pm

At 10 mph, boxer starts to have issues relaunching. It's still better than any other kite with struts that I've used though.

If traditional relaunching (pull one steering line) doesn't work, pull/hold opposite center line to get the kite deeper into the wind window (also kind of puts it at a bit of an angle) then pull the steering line.

You could also swim the foil crosswind to give some relative wind while relaunching. But at this point if you get it up, it's time to head in for beer!

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:51 pm

kazi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 pm
I have a 12m Boxer 2020 and if it gets on its back its a water anchor in light wind. With a medium NP glide I can get going in 10 knots. But if it hits the water I'm done. I think there is something wrong with the design. I drift launch every time I kite. So my thing has always been, if I can't water launch its a no go. But in the boxer case it launches great when its on the leading edge, just rolls right over and up. But like I said, if it gets on its trailing edge its over.
That's weird version 1 will autoflip on it's own in almost no wind like 6 knots and be ready to relaunch before you are. I wonder if they changed something in the 2020 they look very similar except for the battens.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm

hmm, I have a 6 boxer and no issues relaunching at all. Not sure how low I take this kite, but its to the point where launching has been a tad finicky. Could be that there is more wind outside tho. I think its always a bit hard to say exactly what the wind speed is.
In light wind everything matters. If you have a current with the wind, or if you have current opposite to the wind make a huge difference. Like mentioned if you can position the board on your feet to limit downwind drift that is better or if it is shallow enough put your feet on the ground.

Most of the times I have relaunched my boxer its been a pretty straight forward pull the back lines. In lighter wind, and I have relaunched it in super light winds inside of where I was going (the specific launch is in a windshadow), I have pulled both frontlines, then one backline and kind of massaged the kite a bit.
If I don't remember this wrong, I had most success when the kite was quite a bit downwind and not towards the edge of the window. Pull both front lines (if you can pull the one front line opposite to the backline you'll pull that is probably better, then pull quite a bit in on the backline. I mean these are not hard numbers on how much...you kind of have to look at the kite and see how it responds, but I did get the kite relaunched when it was too light to actually go on my foil board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”