OR Flight - Aluula

Forum for kitesurfers
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

OR Flight - Aluula

Postby lewmt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Lots of talk about the Roams but I'm more curious about the Flight - especially 14.5. With it's more rigid air frame & lighter weight just curious about boosting performance and light wind playfulness?

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Has thanked: 0

Re: OR Flight - Aluula

Postby appelton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Saw a guy with 17m Flite Aluula yesterday. Thing is incredible. It was hanging in the air just as long as foil kites. All other inflatables were already in the water. I've talked to him and he said he used to have foil kite but he got rid of it when he got aluula. He said it's super quick turning in comparison to foil kites. Hangs in the air in nothingness. There is also one more dude with 14.5 Aluula, and his 14m is just blazing fast when turning...more like 12m.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Elsewhere I said:
iriejohn wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:34 pm
Was out today on my Flite 14.5 Aluula and 138x42 Lieuwe Shotgun twintip in about 12 knots (I'm 80kg), well powered up, going upwind no problem. Used the Ozone bar with 25m lines that I use with my other kites. I have another bar with 27m lines but I don't think I'll bother to use it with the Flite. Amazing kite.
Have used the Flite a few more times and even well below 10 knots the kite simply does not drop out of the sky. Spooky. Have also used it in about 18 knots (when I'd rather use a 12m) but still had some trim left.

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 am

Seems like a kite ideally suited for snow kiting. @Iriejohn, what are your impressions of it boosting? Also interested in how it behaves in gusty winds?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 am

Today, I was at a local kite spot. The wind was light. I started on a 18m Sonic3 and then sized up to a 23m VMG2 as the wind lightened up. The wind continued to drop and I decided to go in rather than risk dropping a big foil in the water. The last guy on the water was flying an Aluula Flight 14.5 with a hydrofoil board. He was on a surf board and jumping while I was flying the Sonic3. It is an impressive kite.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:16 pm

lewmt wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 am
Seems like a kite ideally suited for snow kiting. @Iriejohn, what are your impressions of it boosting? Also interested in how it behaves in gusty winds?
My left ACL is buggered, have to wear a knee brace, so no jumping (or more accurately, can't risk a bad landing). It's a stable low distortion wing which just seems to soak up gusts.

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 am
Today, I was at a local kite spot. The wind was light. I started on a 18m Sonic3 and then sized up to a 23m VMG2 as the wind lightened up. The wind continued to drop and I decided to go in rather than risk dropping a big foil in the water. The last guy on the water was flying an Aluula Flight 14.5 with a hydrofoil board. He was on a surf board and jumping while I was flying the Sonic3. It is an impressive kite.

I think I've seen you post about snow kiting. Don't you think this wing has fantastic potential...seems like a gliders dream

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:03 pm

lewmt wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:28 pm
Lots of talk about the Roams but I'm more curious about the Flight - especially 14.5. With it's more rigid air frame & lighter weight just curious about boosting performance and light wind playfulness?
I have a Roam 12 and a flite 14.5 both alulla, here are a few comments extrapolated considering the size diff.

Boosting is good with the roam but better on a flite, more hang time. The flite is relatively playfull for a 14m kite but the design is nowhere as close to the Roam. The roam is a toy for those who like to dynamically fly their kite with down loops & loops, no comparison.
Flite is park & fly, the Roam a polyvalent crossover. Now that I have ridden both kites a few times I would be interested to demo the Roam 14 when it comes out.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Pana, I didn't know a 14m Roam is in the works!

I just got out on a hydrofoil on the 12m Flite and it was great in the light wind. I want to try it for boosting in some strong wind though.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:32 pm

The aluula is so amazing. Can't wait until all the kite manufacturers have these ultra light kites. Soooo much fun especially the smaller sizes

Return to “Kitesurfing”