Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rhino w/bar how old?

Forum for kitesurfers
knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Rhino w/bar how old?

Postby knyfe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Ride it and you will be sooo glad to go back to your kite ;-)

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:46 pm

backcountry wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 am
Thanks for replying. Will put canopy material to use for something else. What is a 2004 bar worth
If you can't find anything to use the kite canopy for, send it to theses guys
https://mafiabags.com/pages/donate-your-sail

Or send it to Mountain Water Canvas
https://mountainwatercanvas.com

Regarding the bar, put it on eBay and let it roll. 15+ year old bars are technically worthless $0, but someone like Toby may come along and surprise you. :thumb:

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 pm

Glad you've decided to toss the kite. I had a 12m and it always tried to kill me. Immensely powerful kite that knocked the wind out of me several times, plus once dragged me far underwater and nearly drowned me before I managed to completely release it, the only kite I have ever done that intentionally. For some crazy reason I retrieved it from the bushes on the shore later. I got rid of it as soon as I got a Best Waroo, around 2009, along with my 9m and 16m Naish ARs. Gave them to a local charity store that provides raw material for artists and artisans.

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 pm

This winter I am going to sew up an anorak top and pants with the material. More for wind protection and might be able to coat with a spray on water repellant. We backpack a lot and are always looking for lightweight gear. Worth a shot.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 pm
Glad you've decided to toss the kite. I had a 12m and it always tried to kill me. Immensely powerful kite that knocked the wind out of me several times, plus once dragged me far underwater and nearly drowned me before I managed to completely release it, the only kite I have ever done that intentionally. For some crazy reason I retrieved it from the bushes on the shore later. I got rid of it as soon as I got a Best Waroo, around 2009, along with my 9m and 16m Naish ARs. Gave them to a local charity store that provides raw material for artists and artisans.
I guess that makes the old story « we started kitesurfing in the dark age, but luckily we managed to survive »
Personnally, I owned a 16 and a 12 Rhino, same year, and was very happy with them. I rigged them with a fifth line for relaunch and safety purpose. They were back in their time probably the best kites available on the market, so efficient, and forgiving in the same time, smooth and reliable power delivery: I never frightened myself with them, because I could trust them much better than the previous generation kites.
Anyway, depower was still kind of limited back then. I would say around 30% decrease.

I you would have considered to fly it, main issue would have been the valves. Like mentioned above, the glue had a limited lifespan, and all of a sudden, all valves started to be ripped of. Not nice when ready to hit the water during a hot summer day...

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 pm

I do indeed feel lucky to have survived the sort-of early years. Those were my first three kites. It took me (then age 50), and most of my friends, several years to get to the intermediate stage of being able to stay upwind. For several years we would take both windsurfing and kiting gear to OBX because we could only use the kiting gear in medium conditions. When it got strong we went back to windsurfing. I think I rode my 9m Naish AR twice. Any time we got caught out with a strong gust you simply had to head straight downwind in a desperate attempt to depower the kite. I stand in awe of what younger, more daring, and/or more skilled riders were able to do with them, let alone the earlier 2-line kites. I only ever had one body-dragging session on one of those, a friend's 7m in 20 knots of wind, and that was enough. I regretted doing a joint purchase with him of a brand new 13m Slingshot Diesel for $1000 just before we first got to ride someone's Best Waroo. That was a truly terrible kite (no doubt someone will say they loved it!). I think I rode it once. A couple years ago for kicks we tried riding it and it was terrifying, almost no de-power and even now we got dragged around. One run out and back was enough. Compare these kites with my Pivots and it is like night and day. As I have said in other threads, I'm forever grateful to those pioneers who got us from 2-line to 4-line, and then to bow kites, of which the Pivot is an extraordinary example. The only problem now is that I am tempted to make ever bigger jumps in Cape Town, and ever bolder downwinders at OBX.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 am

The op could get a taste of what it will feel like if they have a decent stopper ball. Just bring the stopper ball down so you can only depower 25-30% and then do some slide turns and you will soon realise how much power you naturally dump in this simple manoeuvre with modern kites. To be safe it would obviously be wise to work up to this stopper ball position in small increments. It would also help if you are a masochist. I can remember when the Rhino was an aspiration for me.

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps
Has thanked: 0

Postby oksman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Flyingseb wrote: I you would have considered to fly it, main issue would have been the valves. Like mentioned above, the glue had a limited lifespan, and all of a sudden, all valves started to be ripped of. Not nice when ready to hit the water during a hot summer day...
And even worst when you have already hit the water and is far from shore... :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”