Gong Veloce impressions

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong Veloce impressions

Postby AndersP » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:32 pm

The kite stab 40 is smaller than the veloce stab 43. You could try that stab to get less lift at high speed on your Veloce wing. A perfect tuned wing-stab combo let you have the same stand regardless of speed.

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Can someone share some thoughts about the Curve Pro M vs the Curve Pro MT vs the Veloce M ?
I'm undecided between Curve M and Veloce, and from the descirption on the gong page, the MT sounds like an inbetween.

I have a dwarfcraft micro 3,6 does the 100cm CF " monoblok" mast fit to this board ?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:14 am

seppalord wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 pm
Can someone share some thoughts about the Curve Pro M vs the Curve Pro MT vs the Veloce M ?
I'm undecided between Curve M and Veloce, and from the descirption on the gong page, the MT sounds like an inbetween.

I have a dwarfcraft micro 3,6 does the 100cm CF " monoblok" mast fit to this board ?

That's a good question. The Veloce M clearly seems to be designed to be a faster wing than the Curve M. However, even though the Curve MT is higher aspect than the Curve M, I would guess that it's not going to be faster, because it's larger. It seems that the T's might make more sense in the larger sizes where they would offer a step in-between the Curve & the next size up Veloce.

Incidentally, I have the Curve M Pro, NOT the "Clear". I have to say it has held up extremely well over the last year of use. It has spent a fair amount of time banging around in the shore break because of the self-landing situation I have at my local spot. Any nicks just sand out very easily - I'm not sure in what way the Clear would be "stronger" in an impact.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 pm

seppalord wrote:

I used the Curve M 6 months then got the veloce M. I have also considered getting the Curve MT.
There's a noticeable difference between the curve and veloce. But its not huge. I think its splitting hairs if you put MT between.

About stabs. The kite stab 40 stalls and slide a lot in carves. The surf stab 40 don't, but are slower. The veloce stab ( with veloce M) does not stall and slide and is fast.

I was thinking of getting Curve MT and using veloce 43 stab. Its probably a waste of time and money.

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks Flyboy and Tom for your reply.

How is the difference between veloce m and curve m regarding slow speeds and the bottem end of the range, do they drop at similar speeds?
I'm hesitant towards the veloce, due to the fact that gong recommands it for people under 75 kg (I have ~80kg).
Low end is a big factor in my equation and I fear the veloce has too littel to offer in that regard.
On the other hand am I quite tempted towards the sporty character of the veloce.

spiru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laredo, Sopelana, Ereaga
Favorite Beaches: Laredo
Viana
Gear: Cloud 3.7 4.8 6.2 8 10.4 13.4
Phantasm 657
Nomad Wave
Makos
Fone surf

Postby spiru » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 am

seppalord wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 pm
I'm hesitant towards the veloce, due to the fact that gong recommands it for people under 75 kg (I have ~80kg).
Low end is a big factor in my equation and I fear the veloce has too littel to offer in that regard.
On the other hand am I quite tempted towards the sporty character of the veloce.
It seems like the weight recommendation in Gong's website is for surfing/winging but not for kiting. The Veloce description in the Gong website is more oriented towards surf/wing (pumping, downwind...) and not towards kiting despite being a great kite wing. In my opinion Gong website, despite having lots of helpful information, can be a bit confusing and regarding Veloce they have copied the information from the winging web section to the kite web section instead of writing texts specifically about kiting.
Strangely they don't even offer the surf pro and veloce stabs in the kite section of spare parts: https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/category ... -masts-en/

spiru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laredo, Sopelana, Ereaga
Favorite Beaches: Laredo
Viana
Gear: Cloud 3.7 4.8 6.2 8 10.4 13.4
Phantasm 657
Nomad Wave
Makos
Fone surf

Postby spiru » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 pm

About stabs. The kite stab 40 stalls and slide a lot in carves. The surf stab 40 don't, but are slower. The veloce stab ( with veloce M) does not stall and slide and is fast.

When you say the kite 40 stalls, do you mean the tail drops or does it go up?
I understand that the lift of the stab points downward, if it stalls and looses all its lift suddenly the nose of the board would pitch down.
Or do you mean that there is so much force during a carve that small kite the stab is pushed flat through the water in the pitch axis, digging the tail?
I am waiting for my Veloce M and kite stab to arrive soon. And I will be trying my friends surf 40 and Veloce 43 stabs to see which one I like more.
One of the things I don't like about Gong fuselages/stabs is that it is not possible to shim stabs to adapt to different personal preferences. I'll explore options for custom DIY fuselage/stab options.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 am

spiru wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 pm
One of the things I don't like about Gong fuselages/stabs is that it is not possible to shim stabs to adapt to different personal preferences. I'll explore options for custom DIY fuselage/stab options.
Here is a idea for custom stab pedestal. I use it all the time with my Veloce L (Lightwind/ wave kiting and prone). Smaller and more reactive than the Veloce 43 stab. The sort of loose and fast handling I'm used too.

The custom stab is 390mm wingspan, 60mm chord and a NACA0009 profile. 2 degrees downward angle compared to front wing.
16951384.jpg

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 pm

I made a number of tails for my gong foil and scrwed them onto the fuse with some sort of adapter/cover for the fuse.
STL's are attached if someone want to play with customs stabs.

One is short and uses the original holes on the fuse with 30mm distance between holes.
The other only uses one hole from the fuse and has a length more similar to the original gong stab.

Thats the one I used mostly.
Second screw goes directly into the 3d printed part.
stab).jpg
Attachments
stab_mount_40mm_holes.zip
(200.29 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
stab_mount_30mm_holes.zip
(175.07 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 pm
seppalord wrote:

I used the Curve M 6 months then got the veloce M. I have also considered getting the Curve MT.
There's a noticeable difference between the curve and veloce. But its not huge. I think its splitting hairs if you put MT between.

I was thinking of getting Curve MT and using veloce 43 stab. Its probably a waste of time and money.
Gong now have a new carbon mast which appears to be thicker & (supposedly) stiffer than the previous one. My concern about getting a Gong carbon mast is the fact that the fuselage is integral to the design. That is great in promoting stiffness & simplicity ... but seems like a problem for traveling. I don't see anyway that I could safely pack the Gong mast/fuse in my "golf bag". The set up would (just) fit in the bag, but the ends of the fuse stick out a bit too much exposing the possibility of them being damaged if the ag is handled roughly. What has been your experience so far?

Return to “Hydrofoil”