Postby Leon van Bergen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:54 am

spatty99
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Postby spatty99 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:10 am

What screens are available when using the Woo activity? i.e., is it just the two shown, or can you add a map screen, various watch based metric screens, etc., and then scroll through on the watch during the Woo activity, just like you can configure run/bike/etc. activities?

Can you add the Woo data into a screen within a different activity? e.g., show jump height data and/or screen within an "Other" activity used for tracking something like wakeboarding/windsurfing/etc.?

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 am

spatty99 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:10 am
What screens are available when using the Woo activity? i.e., is it just the two shown, or can you add a map screen, various watch based metric screens, etc., and then scroll through on the watch during the Woo activity, just like you can configure run/bike/etc. activities?

Can you add the Woo data into a screen within a different activity? e.g., show jump height data and/or screen within an "Other" activity used for tracking something like wakeboarding/windsurfing/etc.?
There are no tunable screens in Garmin Woo app at the moment. While it is possible to make it as flexible as Garmin activities with tunable screens and metrics, but it would involve a multitude more work with very little benefit to the core functionality.

Also, to show Woo data in a standard Garmin activity, it must be created as a special type of app - Data Field. These type of apps can't have a full functionality of a stand alone app - they can't make and maintain a Bluetooth connection for example. So, unfortunately that is also not possible.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Aberdovy kiter (Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Eugadude
Rare Poster
Gear: Crazyfly
Has thanked: 0

Postby Eugadude » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:36 am

Can you use garmin and phone at the same time?

brnrbn
Rare Poster
Gear: North \ Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby brnrbn » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 am

Any chance to get the app supported on the Fenix 5? Cheers.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:20 pm

brnrbn wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 am
WOO updated the description of supported watches, so it might answer your question now:

https://docs.woosports.com/docs/garmin- ... ed-watches

In short, firmware on Fenix 5 doesn't support Bluetooth SDK. Garmin introduced Bluetooth SDK (meaning apps can use Bluetooth to connect to 3rd party devices like WOO) only 1 year ago, but they didn't make all old devices compatible with it. Only the newest ones are compatible. If Garmin ever updates firmware on Fenix 5 to support 3.1 SDK, I will surely add it to the list :thumb:

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Eugadude wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:36 am
Yes, you should be able to use phone for Free-ride or Analytics session, while still using the watch. However, since only 1 device can be connected to WOO at a given time, you need to follow a certain sequence:

- Start a session on a phone - it will briefly connect to WOO to sync the time
- Start WOO app on the watch
Aberdovy kiter (Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 am)

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 pm

brnrbn wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 am
I'm getting A LOT of requests on why some Garmin watch models are not supported by Garmin WOO app. As I mentioned before, the main reason is Bluetooth SDK that was introduced by Garmin a year ago and only works on the latest devices. However, I'd like to elaborate on that a little bit:

- First of all, I'd like to assure you that I specifically tried to include ALL compatible devices. There are currently 27 compatible models on the list and I tested every single one of them in Garmin simulator to make sure it works. There were a few models that could compile the code (like Fenix 5), but would fail on the first Bluetooth call. Those models had to be excluded from the compatibility list (more on that later). Other models like Forerunner 735 or Descent couldn't even be included in the build (they are grayed out) as soon as the app mentions that it uses Bluetooth Low Energy SDK.

- Some Garmin watches (like popular Surf series Instinct) don't support 3rd party Connect IQ apps at all, so there is no way to create an app for them.

- Out of the watches that are currently compatible, there are some models that I'm not sure about in water usability. For example Vivoactive 4 has a touch screen and I'm not sure how it will behave in water - I don't have a physical device to test on. You can still install WOO app on them, but your experience might not be ideal, that is why I don't recommend them.

So, if you watch model is not compatible, it is not because I need to develop something special for it, it is because it is currently impossible to build WOO app for it. Code wise adding a new model is actually as simple as adding a checkmark next to it.

More on Fenix 5 (and a few other models). Right now they are in a grey area. Garmin SDK allows me to compile WOO app code for them, but it fails in simulator. It is either a bug in SDK, or it might mean that Garmin plans to (or already did) update Fenix 5 firmware to be compatible with BT. I don't have a physical Fenix 5 watch to test on. If someone would like to experiment and has Fenix 5, I can build a WOO app for you to test. Please PM me if you would like to do it. Make sure your watch is updated to the latest firmware though - connect it to Garmin Express on a computer and check for updates.

Thanks!

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:26 am

aleks wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm
Eugadude wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:36 am
Yes, you should be able to use phone for Free-ride or Analytics session, while still using the watch. However, since only 1 device can be connected to WOO at a given time, you need to follow a certain sequence:

So am i correct in thinking that the phone can use gps to use all pro functions in app, whilst the watch is also running its app, Showing live jump data for example?

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:52 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:26 am
aleks wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm

So am i correct in thinking that the phone can use gps to use all pro functions in app, whilst the watch is also running its app, Showing live jump data for example?
Yes, that is correct, as long as you maintain connection sequence I described above.
Aberdovy kiter (Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:03 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”