Local Beach: North Bay
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki, Cook Islands
Long Bay Beach, TCI
Gear: Naish Pivots, Shinny's Mrs Bronq, Evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Naish Boxer 11m steering line length ?

Postby monkielion » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:54 am

We have a new S25 Naish Boxer 11m. The steering lines seem loose/ long. I know it's supposed to give light bar pressure, but in the lighter winds, it's like no bar pressure, zero. I wonder if the steering lines are too long. I don't think it's our bar either. Would anyone have a newish S25 11m that they could measure the lines on so we can compare? :)

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Naish Boxer 11m steering line length ?

Postby nixmatters » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:53 am

Steering lines must be same length as front lines with bar fully sheeted in and trim at full power. If they are too slack and the kite is not very responsive, get someone to check the kite bridle, also check if all loop to loop knots on the bridle are tight. Sometimes mistakes happen in production.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:57 am

I would check the bar first. All lines need to be equal lengths. I trim my bar with a little bit of oversheeting when fully powered, meaning the front lines have tiny bit of slack then and adjust it with the trimmer if needed.

I have the current 11m Boxer and use it with a 24m Naish Bar. I love it. I bought it for foiling in sub 10 knots, but had it out now a couple of times on a large TT when others also were on 12-14m kites. Super fun playful freeride kite and as others have stated before it is amazingly stable for a 1-strut kite when the wind picks up a bit. Jumps nicely. When you throw around heliloops in transitions it flutters a bit at trailing edge of the tips which you hardly notice at the bar, but that is about it.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:10 am

monkielion wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:54 am
We have a new S25 Naish Boxer 11m. The steering lines seem loose/ long. I know it's supposed to give light bar pressure, but in the lighter winds, it's like no bar pressure, zero. I wonder if the steering lines are too long. I don't think it's our bar either. Would anyone have a newish S25 11m that they could measure the lines on so we can compare? :)
Hi Monk,
I had the exact same issue with my 19/20 Naish Boxer 10m. I felt the steering lines were too slack which resulted in a delayed turning reaction for the kite after bar input. I remedied this by shortening the steering lines at the bar by one knot. This resolved the issue completely. This position also allows me back stall the kite which is a neat trick when foiling.

When I’m back riding my Slash in the waves, I lengthen the steering lines back to the original, factory released knot. This kite flys much better on this setting. Don’t know why, just does....
These users thanked the author riddim1 for the post:
monkielion (Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

salvatoreone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandgate QLD
Gear: twintip/hydrofoil

Postby salvatoreone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:44 pm

why don't you use longer bar isntead? longer bar = more leverage, just wondering if it could save the issue in light winds?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:42 am

Dirk is on it. I have used the 11 S25, but Ihave the 2020. Like mentioned above, lines should be same length when sheeted in, and then the Boxer is still very..hmm not going to say light on the bar because it provides enough feedback, but it is super smooth in t I would definitely look at the lines before I worried about the bridle. erms of power...so going from full power to oversheeting can be easy if you do not pay a bit attention. If you see slack on the backlines yeah it seems you have uneven lines...just attach them all to a fixed point on land and test. Best way to get that out of the way. :-)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:05 pm

If you only got one kite, then simply put the rear lines on the inner knots on the leader lines at the bar, or make new knots.

If same bar is used for other kite(s), and they are in better trim, then shorten the rear lines at the kite instead :D

Don't ever rely on measuring line lengths.

8) Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:31 pm

To add to that. Once you have measured your line lengths, if this is a Naish bar you can always shorten the backlines on the bar. Just pull down the colored plastic "tabs" under the bar and pull in the lines to the desired premade knot.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”