For all foil kite riders
apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Re: Sonic or Soul for foiling progresion

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:54 am

haare wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 am
Pick Soul if you
- Want a kite that is easy to fly.
- That does not backstall easily.
- That behaves like a tube kite.
- That has decent upwind (not great) angles.
- That jumps well (they both do).
- That is very easy to relaunch.
- That is very easy to drift launch
- That is easy to handle in gusty coditions.

Note the phrasing Easy here. It is not better. it is just easier. Both kites can relaunch, drift launch, handle gusts etc.

Pick Sonic
- If you want better upwind angles
- wider wind range (for average kiter there is no difference. How ever experienced foil kiters will have more range (mainly can handle stronger wind) with higher aspect ratio kite because it flies farther in the wind window generating less pull)
- Jumps even better. Also you can jump a lot more because it goes better upwind.
- turns better (even though it means stalling)
- Tacking inc foot switch is far easier with sonic

However
- It is harder to use. For me this is actually a plus. Because it needs some work. Using soul is just boring to me.
- It will punish you if you let it to the edge of the wind window especially in gusty conditions
- Slack lines will often lead to bowtie. So you need to be able to keep tension in the lines.

About loops:
With higher aspect ratio kites you can loop them. However tighter loops dont generate as much power as with soul. So looping sonic is possible but it is trickier. If you stall the kite when looping it does not generate power.

About size:
10 knots and 75kg => I would pick 12m (soul) -13m (sonic) kite. Personally in those conditions I (80kg, 800cm2 front wing) use 18m kite, but it is just because I like to jump and love hang time! :thumb:
Very useful.

Slyde
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slyde » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 pm

no question, for your level a Soul is way better. A harder kite wont make you progress, only hold you back. I have had both Souls and now Sonics. Have had all the ozone foil kites over time too. 12 Soul is waaaaay better than hyperlink. Relaunch very easy, you will get the confidence to go much further because it relaunches every time and can be in the water a long time and still relaunch. Sonic good too but not nearly as easy. The 12 is a more versatile size than the 15, 15 very grunty but tops out and needs a looong bar to turn well. 12 has great bottom end for freeride foiling and with shorter lines good top end. 10 is crazy good kite too but for 10 knots go 12 soul. Sonic is better if you do freerace with high performance foil and are more experienced.
These users thanked the author Slyde for the post:
Gestalt (Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:05 pm

This might help you make the decision.