Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:20 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:02 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 pm
palmbeacher wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:36 am

But please go on to believe this isn’t an issue and we should continue to emit carbon emissions for no reason other than the wealth of 0.001% of the human population.
Sure, so long as you go on pretending that reducing CO2 emissions is a positive environmental action without reducing the population of the Earth. Once again I must remind you, that halfing the planets per person CO2 emissions does nothing when you double the human population.
Another misinformed claim:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... says-oxfam
Can you clarify what you intend to show with your link? To me, it seems that maybe you think population growth is okay, because somehow the rich population won't increase at the same time? Maybe there's some information out there about increasing the population really only increases the poor?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:53 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:00 pm

...I am a scuba diver and marine biologist and have witnessed many spawning events. No, mass coral spawning events do not spread globally and asexual reproduction of coral has a very low success rate.
It seems that due to your occupation, your vision is limited to 10 meters; 30 meters max. Let me assure you that the coral planulae propagate much further than those 10 meters that you are able to see. Planulae float in the ocean, some for days and some for weeks, before dropping to the ocean floor. Therefore, excuse me for not quite subscribing to your 10 meter depth vision on global warming, in general, and coral health, specifically.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:53 pm
palmbeacher wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:00 pm

...I am a scuba diver and marine biologist and have witnessed many spawning events. No, mass coral spawning events do not spread globally and asexual reproduction of coral has a very low success rate.
It seems that due to your occupation, your vision is limited to 10 meters; 30 meters max. Let me assure you that the coral planulae propagate much further than those 10 meters that you are able to see. Planulae float in the ocean, some for days and some for weeks, before dropping to the ocean floor. Therefore, excuse me for not quite subscribing to your 10 meter depth vision on global warming, in general, and coral health, specifically.
I really don’t get the point you are trying to make: you agree with scientists that in a 1.5 degree warming scenario (which is close to being realized), 90% of coral reefs will die. Yet you believe this is not a problem because certain corals in the Red Sea according your imaginative theory could revitalize coral reefs globally. Any idea how long that would take? And for your theory to hold, ocean temperatures elsewhere would still need to drop.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 pm

Life on earth will never be in danger. But keep in mind that humans are just a blip in evolutionary history.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
prop_joe (Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Life on earth will never be in danger.
It might be in around 4 billion years or so :wink:

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:31 am

palmbeacher wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 pm

I really don’t get the point you are trying to make: you agree with scientists that in a 1.5 degree warming scenario (which is close to being realized), 90% of coral reefs will die. Yet you believe this is not a problem because certain corals in the Red Sea according your imaginative theory could revitalize coral reefs globally. Any idea how long that would take? And for your theory to hold, ocean temperatures elsewhere would still need to drop.
Where did you get this 1.5 degree figure? Do you realize that ocean and land warm up at different rates? Here is an article on the latest measurement record. It seems that "... even using that higher recent rate of warming, it will still take three centuries to warm the ocean by one degree Celsius."

Next, Red Sea corals is just one example contradicting your narrative. I don't know what is phylogenetic distance of Red Sea corals compared to the other species, but it is quite possible that the coral cells can mutate to adapt to warmer environment. That's right, this is what living organisms do all the time, and as marine biologist you should be aware of it.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:15 am

prop_joe wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 pm
Trent hink wrote:
Well sure.

Maybe you are some kind of freak, but no person I have ever met is capable of really envisioning what will happen long after they are dead. ;)

Most human goals seem to be very short-term.

Who really cares what will happen after they are dead and gone?

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster

Postby palmbeacher » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:31 am
palmbeacher wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 pm

Where did you get this 1.5 degree figure? Do you realize that ocean and land warm up at different rates? Here is an article on the latest measurement record. It seems that "... even using that higher recent rate of warming, it will still take three centuries to warm the ocean by one degree Celsius."

Next, Red Sea corals is just one example contradicting your narrative. I don't know what is phylogenetic distance of Red Sea corals compared to the other species, but it is quite possible that the coral cells can mutate to adapt to warmer environment. That's right, this is what living organisms do all the time, and as marine biologist you should be aware of it.
False: the ocean has already warmed .55 degrees celsius in just the last 50 years. Without the ocean Earth would have seen a warming of 36°C.

Species can adapt, just not in situations where the change is too rapid (remember dinosaurs?).

Anyway, please keep believing all the scientists are wrong. Your children and future generations will be very proud of you.

The ocean’s ability to absorb excess heat has shielded humans from even more rapid changes in climate. Without this oceanic buffer, global temperatures would have risen much more than they have done to date. IPCC’s Fourth Assessment Report published in 2007 estimated that the Earth had experienced a warming of 0.55°C since the 1970s. According to an analysis by the Grantham Institute, if the same amount of heat that has gone into the top 2,000 m of the ocean between 1955 and 2010 had gone into the lower 10 km of the atmosphere, the Earth would have seen a warming of 36°C.

https://www.iucn.org/resources/issues-b ... an-warming

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster

Postby palmbeacher » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:02 am

Trent hink wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:15 am
prop_joe wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 pm
Trent hink wrote:
Well sure.

Maybe you are some kind of freak, but no person I have ever met is capable of really envisioning what will happen long after they are dead. ;)

Most human goals seem to be very short-term.

Who really cares what will happen after they are dead and gone?
Your children perhaps? Or future generations? Other people have sacrificed for you, so you can enjoy the freedom that exists today.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:15 pm

the artic ice reflects the sun rays , and when it melts the suns rays are absorbed by the ocean which makes the problem much worse

Return to “Snow / Land”