Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Forum for kitesurfers
Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:46 pm

Aleks..
Today was first chance to use my garmin fenix 6 pro, i turned on woo green blinking light, selected woo app watch connected to woo, green light on watch, woo stays blinking green not red like when connected to phone, problem is no live jump data, none recorded either when connected to connect, gps worked ok, settings on q app all selected, ignore jumps set to zero, meters and mph as metrics. Wondering what i've done wrong, definitely jumping high enough.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:46 pm
Aleks..
Today was first chance to use my garmin fenix 6 pro, i turned on woo green blinking light, selected woo app watch connected to woo, green light on watch, woo stays blinking green not red like when connected to phone, problem is no live jump data, none recorded either when connected to connect, gps worked ok, settings on q app all selected, ignore jumps set to zero, meters and mph as metrics. Wondering what i've done wrong, definitely jumping high enough.
You have to start recording jumps on WOO itself - press WOO button again to start recording and transmitting live jumps. WOO light will start blinking red. On the watch indicator will also change to red - watch just reflects the mode WOO is in, but it doesn't try to actively change it. You can stop and start WOO recording multiple times - it is independent from Garmin session created by watch.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Aberdovy kiter (Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:06 pm

aleks wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:04 pm
Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:46 pm
Aleks..
You have to start recording jumps on WOO itself - press WOO button again to start recording and transmitting live jumps. WOO light will start blinking red. On the watch indicator will also change to red - watch just reflects the mode WOO is in, but it doesn't try to actively change it. You can stop and start WOO recording multiple times - it is independent from Garmin session created by watch.
Thanks for that, i thought it would be something simple, completely forgot you have to do that..

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:06 pm
Thanks for that, i thought it would be something simple, completely forgot you have to do that..
Just use the WOO the same way as you would do it without the watch :)
Aberdovy kiter (Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:43 pm)

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Fist session using the app with a Fenix 6, but without taking the phone

The app & watch display, along with the vibrate worked perfectly- I found it very helpful as it enabled me to fine tune and to see how better technique made a big difference.

Fine work !

Just a quick thought - the watch display highlights some of the weird WOO recording - whereby I did a fully lit boost on a 10m, whilst at the jump zenith I was on eye-line with another kite being ridden a 10/11 o'clock - landed and the display advised 8m recorded???? This happened early in the session and it seems the WOO prefer a gradual build up in heights and seems to register early/high boosts as an outlier?!
These users thanked the author Robsw6 for the post:
aleks (Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:21 am)

spatty99
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby spatty99 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 am

Just got a Woo and having issues with the Woo phone (android) app, looks nothing like in the Woo user guide and missing a bunch of the noted features.

For example, Woo is in "standby" vs "connected"; no pulldown option to change modes (big air, freestyle, freeride, wake); options screen is missing (no push notification selection, current sport listing, etc.).

Is there a way to change the modes (besides the button on the Woo)?

Or could I have a buggy Woo?... The unit was received new but had 1% battery charge, after charging battery was at 100% but firmware update said it couldn't run until battery was at least 80%, later updated firmware successfully once, then locked up and error trying to update again (currently on 30.1.24).

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:28 pm

spatty99 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 am
Just got a Woo and having issues with the Woo phone (android) app, looks nothing like in the Woo user guide and missing a bunch of the noted features.

For example, Woo is in "standby" vs "connected"; no pulldown option to change modes (big air, freestyle, freeride, wake); options screen is missing (no push notification selection, current sport listing, etc.).

Or could I have a buggy Woo?... The unit was received new but had 1% battery charge, after charging battery was at 100% but firmware update said it couldn't run until battery was at least 80%, later updated firmware successfully once, then locked up and error trying to update again (currently on 30.1.24).
WOO completely re-wrote their Android app, so right now it only supports Big Air mode (as far as I know). It is better to ask them directly in their own thread - I'm not privy to all details...
spatty99 (Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 pm)

spatty99
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby spatty99 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks, glad it's not me. They removed a lot of the functionality and eliminated a bulk of the advertised capability (for example, the wake mode is completely unavailable).

Any idea on if/when they will support the work to make Woo metrics available in tunable Garmin app screens? Seems like they're missing out on the point of external sensors. External heart rate monitors, foot pods, power meters, etc., are more mainstream because they integrate with the monitoring device, not the other way around.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:12 pm

spatty99 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:32 pm
Any idea on if/when they will support the work to make Woo metrics available in tunable Garmin app screens? Seems like they're missing out on the point of external sensors. External heart rate monitors, foot pods, power meters, etc., are more mainstream because they integrate with the monitoring device, not the other way around.
This is probably never going to happen. There is a special protocol defined for most popular devices (like heart monitor) - it is standard and that is why it's implemented by Garmin. WOO has no such protocol, and even if it did, it is unlikely that manufacturers like Garmin would implement it - it is not popular enough.

WOO Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Big Air Freestyle Freeride
Brand Affiliation: WOO

Postby WOO Kite » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:18 am

spatty99 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 am

Hi Spatty,

please send us an email to support. We would like to help you with your questions and also check if your WOO device is working as it should.

BTW, we have put the wake functionality in a seperate app as part of the groundwork to prepare the kite app for all future kite-only features.
The Wake app is realeased for beta testing at the moment. If you want we can add you to the group of testers.

Cheers :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”