Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hand Sewing Ripstop Nylon

Postby downunder » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Bin it.

If is old kite the valves are no good anyway...If is a new kite, sure, go for it.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
Herman (Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:00 pm

downunder wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:06 pm
Bin it.

If is old kite the valves are no good anyway...If is a new kite, sure, go for it.
Thought about that as the kite is 10+ years old, but the valves are all good and the kite held air for 2+ hours after I washed it. Figured I would give a try mending it for the experience.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:32 pm

I have a old kite that I retired from the water after a trip across the rocks. It had multiple tears but none more than 6ins long and, fortunately, no seams were involved. I repaired it with spinnaker tape on the outside and tarp tape on the inside. No stitching. I use it for occasional buggy or beach practice. The spinnaker tape is still holding after about 5yrs but the tarp tape glue perished and I replaced the inside repairs with more spinnaker tape after approx 4years. I would point out that is with very little UV exposure. I would generally avoid stitching unless a seam is involved, or fully loaded use is expected.

However in your climate stitching may be needed. As previously said zig zag is a little harder to keep neat than straight. The 2 needle method I referred to is commonly called saddle stitch if you want to Google it.

PS I clean well with meths or alcohol and use a roller & hairdryer to bed the tape down. Round the cut ends of the tape. If you decide to get a m/c look out for one that can do triple Z stitch.
Last edited by Herman on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 pm

Yard sale sewing machines can be Very cheap

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 am

Do a bit of hand stitching and you'll see why sewing machines were invented ...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:22 am

Also note, s/m on yard might be a dog...
Spent double for servicing it plus a new foot paddle.

It did pay for itself tho ;)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:09 am

Spinnaker repair tape is best. It's cheap and not too thick. There is no need to sew the tape, the glue is more than strong enough. If the tape goes over a sewn seam then you might like to resew that portion.

I usually clean the torn edges with a little alcohol (methylated spirits) and a cotton ball. Don't be too aggressive, you just want to get any grease or oils off the fabric so the glue will stick.

Apply tape on both sides. I like to tack the tear with ordinary tape so it's easy to apply the spinnaker tape neatly.

You can offset the edges of the tape to avoid a thick edge (that's not so important).

Round the corners of the tape to stop the corners from peeling off.

Once the spinnaker tape is in place I like to "iron" it using a bottle filled with hot water to set the glue. Just roll it back and forth along the tape.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
JakeFarley (Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 pm)

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:09 am
Spinnaker repair tape is best. It's cheap and not too thick. There is no need to sew the tape, the glue is more than strong enough. If the tape goes over a sewn seam then you might like to resew that portion.

I usually clean the torn edges with a little alcohol (methylated spirits) and a cotton ball. Don't be too aggressive, you just want to get any grease or oils off the fabric so the glue will stick.

Apply tape on both sides. I like to tack the tear with ordinary tape so it's easy to apply the spinnaker tape neatly.

You can offset the edges of the tape to avoid a thick edge (that's not so important).

Round the corners of the tape to stop the corners from peeling off.

Once the spinnaker tape is in place I like to "iron" it using a bottle filled with hot water to set the glue. Just roll it back and forth along the tape.
Good tips ^^^^ instead of ironing I like to use a hairblower, make sure not to keep it too close. Also use painting tape to pre set the tear and start with the other side to apply the spinaker tape, remove the painting tape and apply spinaker on that side as well. Make sure to clean with alchohol before applying the tapes.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:21 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:09 am
Setting the glue with heat is one of the most important steps that gets skipped too often besides a good alcohol cleaning. You can also use a heat gun or hair dryer and rub the tape in with your fingers if you are careful enough not to melt the cloth.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Foil (Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 am)

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:55 am

Another idea implemented many times
Make simple "light box" a piece of glass supported with light source under, can be as simple as food cans on corners of glass about 50cm x 50 depending repair size, light bulb in between table and
As said ripstop cleaned alcohol pure
With help or alone using tape to align ripstop tears together using grid to get as near perfect match as possible, light up thru glass and ripstop easy to see
stick WHITE ripstop self adhesive patches, almost transparent, while keeping alignment should be able to also see thru this for confirmation
if not as perfect as wanted redo
When pleased use rigid spoon to press tape into place
Flip repair, assure is flat on glass and again check alignment
Use "AQUASURE" applied as thin as possible on White, clear ripstop tape and stick where needed, 2 cm overlap each side of rip, tear works
Add layer of Seran wrap,( brand name) any kitchen film or thin plastic material over patch, press with fingers, no folds wrinkles,and, or spoon to squeeze out excess poly glue, wipe off
reapply kitchen wrap and add another clean glass sheet over, final control of patch repair quality, add some weight to top glass and let dry, cure
This is so easy! Fast, lite, cheap, durable. NEVER had failure :idea:
R H
These users thanked the author revhed for the post:
JakeFarley (Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:08 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”