cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Postby cwood » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am

The Garmin app for Woo is rock solid and is soooo helpful when tuning your gear and technique. It just works and without all the fuss of touch screens it never gets disrupted.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
aleks (Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:36 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am
The Garmin app for Woo is rock solid and is soooo helpful when tuning your gear and technique. It just works and without all the fuss of touch screens it never gets disrupted.
Second this, works a treat, just a shame woo can't fix the android app to run woo pro concurrently.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:36 pm
cwood wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am
Second this, works a treat, just a shame woo can't fix the android app to run woo pro concurrently.
It will be fixed, a little patience guys :) . I'm not involved in phone app development though, so I can't tell you how long it will take.

Hopefully we can make Pro features work with a watch alone, but to early to tell now. It's not going to happen any time soon.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
Aberdovy kiter (Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 pm) • horston (Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:04 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

horston
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 78
Local Beach: Riga
Gear: OZONE EDGE 15 m, Flysurfer Soul 10 m, Core Nexus 7m, Core Section 2 5m
Armstrong foil

Postby horston » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:04 pm

I used Garmin Fenix ​​6 Pro for a week. The watch is great. Working time 14 days / GPS 36 hours. Lots of settings, widgets and displays. At first, the interface seems complicated, but after a couple of days of torment comes understanding and pleasure from the device. There are a lot of strengths, but I want to talk about weaknesses.

The main disadvantage is that Garmin does not like our sport. There is no kitesurfing in wired sports, especially its varieties. There are only third-party applications, but more on that later. Garmin seems to be made for swimmers, runners and cyclists, skiers and ... golfers. For them EVERYTHING is there. BUT not even windsurfing. The web platform is also tailored for these sports. I dug around on the Garmin forums in the hope of finding an original solution for the kite, but I only found their two-year-old answer to our colleague that they do not have the ability to sew up all the existing 800 sports and a proposal to rename the most suitable one. mad Unpleasant answer, but I decided to check this solution. Of course, you can rename Run to Kitesurfing, adjust the data fields, remove unnecessary ones, but when synchronizing with the web platform, these parameters will come out again. What's more, when you sync with Endomondo and Strava, your activities will return to their original activity and require manual adjustments. The most suitable sport for us is Surfing. It appeared in the September update, but with a bug. There is no navigation in Surfing, most likely they just forgot. Why do we need navigation? I use it in downwinds. It is useful to know how much has passed and how much is left. And again, Surfing will count for you not made strokes and not conquered waves.

Third party applications. For the most part, they are created for the specific needs of the developer, so they do not have the ability to customize and offer functionality by the author's decision. I didn’t like many of them for various reasons. BUT Many thanks to hurricane for Woo 3.0! Of course, everything is not there, but it does a great job with the task and displays the jump data for you. This app is to be appreciated as a valuable gift to Garmin and Woo users. I happily gave it a 5 * rating in Garmin IQ Store reviews. For complete happiness, it lacked the heart rate monitor data field (I ride with a chest strap) and the ability to customize the data fields. I am not using all the information from Woo, but only the basic, and would gladly copy other parameters to the main screen.

Can't imagine what other sport on a watch needs the 100m water resistance that this watch provides, if not kitesurfing?

In the end, I sent the watch back, as I believe that at this cost, it should perform the required tasks, and not through trade-offs. For that Garmin should just add Kitesurfing, but unfortunately it hasn't solved that for a long time. And then I will most likely buy them back.
These users thanked the author horston for the post:
aleks (Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Garmin watches are on a huge sale for Amazon Prime days, at least on Canadian site:

https://www.amazon.ca/deal/e8b7f077?sho ... _540988230

Garmin Forerunner 645 Music (only Music version of 645 works with WOO, will be added to official app support soon) is a good option (about $230USD).

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:03 am

I found a more comprehensive source of Garmin watches compatibility with WOO. To check if your watch model is compatible, go to:

https://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq ... e-devices/

Find your model and click on the blue circle with the "i". Look for "Generic Bluetooth Low Energy Channel". If you see it, then the watch is compatible.

One unexpected finding is that BT compatibility doesn't necessarily depend on when a device was made. For example, a brand new Garmin Venu SQ is NOT compatible, but a more expensive one Garmin Venu SQ MUSIC is :roll: . I guess Garmin considers it a "premium feature" :(

horston
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 78
Local Beach: Riga
Gear: OZONE EDGE 15 m, Flysurfer Soul 10 m, Core Nexus 7m, Core Section 2 5m
Armstrong foil

Postby horston » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Garmin's support team replied that if they get enough feedback from other kitesurfers, they will do the Kitesurfing activity in one of the next updates.
If you wish to sit our activity in your Garmins, support us with your wishes on the link.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/idea ... nBlaSZqOFI
These users thanked the author horston for the post (total 2):
aleks (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:01 am) • Aberdovy kiter (Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 am)
Rating: 6.06%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 am

I created a new Data Field app for Garmin. It is a variation of my "Max Speed during last 60 seconds" data field, except that this one is universal:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3477 ... 9092a86184

In app's settings, you can change a number of seconds (anything from 10 to 200) for the max speed period. Also, you can change display speed units (default system units or km/h, mph, knots, and m/s).

Check it out!
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 3):
Aberdovy kiter (Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 am) • Guttorm (Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:50 pm) • horston (Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Eugadude wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 pm
I have first avenger garmin which is vivoactive 4 and it works great the screen just needs to be locked after starting woo session
We just published an update that significantly improves how app works on touchscreen watches :D . No need to lock the screen anymore!

What’s New, Version 1.8 (current):

- Updated interface for watches with touch screen. No longer required to lock the screen during the session. All controls are done through buttons (except for exit and select Woo menus where touch is required to select menu items)

- Added new compatible watches

- Removed "Reset Woo connection" on the Back button (app is stable enough and re-connects automatically). Back button switches the screen now

- Some minor bug fixes

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Quick question, if you become detached from your board, the link appears to drop out - i.e Woo is still in record mode, but the red light on the watch screen goes into standby/non-recording mode - Aleks - how should you reset this? Many thanks & well done on great work !!

Return to “Kitesurfing”