Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re-sealing wetsuit's seams?

Postby alexeyga » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Once upon a time I was too cheap and bit the bullet on - what looked like a decent cold water suit - on sale that is...

As it turned out, there was a good reason why these were on sale. Don't know about the current NP's Edge lineup, but that particular year model's seams were sealed with some Chinese pig's vomit tape contraption instead proper sealant. Fast forward 2 seasons - it looks like this:
RSZ_20201011_165329_HDR.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165339_HDR.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165348_HDR.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165359.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165425.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165433.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165452.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165508.jpg
RSZ_20201011_165519.jpg
To be perfectly honest, the suit was so cheap - it's hardly worth complaining. It does an acceptable job at what it was purchased for.

With that said, I'm still wondering if anybody has been able to re-seal these seams properly. I've been contemplating the idea every time I notice current "sealing" looking worse and worse.

Say - would the car windscreen glue do a good job? Are you supposed to apply the sealant on the wetsuit pre-stretched? Any input would be welcomed. :thumb:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Re-sealing wetsuit's seams?

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:15 pm

I've used Aquaseal for both wetsuit repairs and re-sticking valves. Worked great for me.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Quite typical of that tape on NP. Though I've only seen that kind of tape on the inside.You can try some of the iron on wetsuit seam tape. It works for a short while but eventually does the same thing as your suit. https://www.amazon.com/Seam-Sealing-Tap ... 019H4ISFS If you chose to go the liquid glue route, most will be a lot stiffer than the suit and will crack and peel. The "liquid tape" they use at the factories is supposedly some very toxic stuff and I haven't been able to find any. :lol: I've tried all kinds of rubber glues.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 pm

I’ve found Stormsure repair adhesive very effective and have used it to stick bits of seal back on the inside of my wetsuit successfully.

souspeed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Matosinhos / Esposende
Favorite Beaches: Mui Ne
Style: Freeride / Big Air
Gear: North Orbit 9m / North Reach 7m & 12m / Lieuwe Shotgun 136 / Duotone Pro Fish 5.2 / Ride Engine Hardshell / Mystic Stealth Bar / Mystic Majestic 3.2

Postby souspeed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:00 pm

Black Witch Neoprene Glue

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:20 pm

You mean this awesome top-of-the-line suit?

I have the same suit. I think it is now 2 or 3 seasons old. It looks a lot better than yours - either you had a particularly bad suit, or you use yours more than I use mine (I have a leaky 4/3 Ion suit that I wear in slightly warmer weather). I don't find it a particularly high quality suit, but a lot of locals in Ontario are using this suit. I have used Aquaseal to fix wetsuit tears/holes. It will do a reasonably good job but not sure whether you would be better off trying to re-stick the tape using the Aquaseal ... or remove the lifting areas of tape & just cover the seam with glue. The Aquaseal will last a while in my experience, but is vulnerable in areas that are subject to stress when you are putting on or removing the suit.

BTW: I always use a neoprene vest under the Edge when it starts to get cold & a hood that tucks under the neck flap as I find the suit does not seal well at the neck.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 pm

Your post inspired me to look more closely at my suit. As you can see, overall the tape is holding up reasonably well. However, I noticed it has been letting water in at the crotch. There are small tears in the tape in that area. Also there are small holes on the tape on the shoulder strips both sides of the smooth skin breast plate area. Finally, the neoprene itself is very stretched on one side of the breast plate, below the armpit area. I'm going to try Aquasealing those areas to reduce water flushing through the suit.
Attachments
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:20 pm
You mean this awesome top-of-the-line suit?
Whom ever tagged it "top of the line" clearly hasn't seen O'neill's Pshycho line... :angryfire: Nevermind the "awesome" part.

To give it justice - the suit is quite comfortable, more so than any 5 or 6mm suit I owned previously. At least for me in LT size.

B.t.w. is it my eyes or in the video review seams don't look taped but rather - properly sealed?
Flyboy wrote:
I don't find it a particularly high quality suit, but a lot of locals in Ontario are using this suit.
That's because we all got owned by the same discount at the same, well known in Toronto area - store. God knows how and where from they were able to reel in all this discounted gear. Not this year though...
Flyboy wrote:
BTW: I always use a neoprene vest under the Edge when it starts to get cold & a hood that tucks under the neck flap as I find the suit does not seal well at the neck.
I do the other way around - have a full neoprene jacket over the wetsuit - cuts the wind chill nicely. As long as I don't face-plant too often.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:26 pm

I had the same 5/4mm Neil Pryde Edge, I think is a 2016/17 suit...mine was worse than all those pics. I used "Black Witch" neoprene glue and it held up well. I now have a 2019 Neil Pryde Cortex and it's excellent, no issues with the sealing tape lifting.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:01 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:54 pm

That's because we all got owned by the same discount at the same, well known in Toronto area - store. God knows how and where from they were able to reel in all this discounted gear. Not this year though...

I do the other way around - have a full neoprene jacket over the wetsuit - cuts the wind chill nicely. As long as I don't face-plant too often.
I think it's a decent suit for the money paid, but there are definitely higher quality suits out there.

I also wear a neoprene jacket over the suit when it's really cold & I have started wearing an impact vest which provides a a lot of wind chill protection to the torso also ... but the neoprene vest is a no-brainer - it makes the torso 7mm thick while adding little bulk to the suit overall & minimizing water flushing through the zip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”