Which Twintip?

Forum for kitesurfers
Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which Twintip?

Postby Ice101 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:02 am

See if you can find a flysurfer radical 6. Great board. Great for jumps and great for rough water Like the monarch very controllable in all conditions but a bit more flex and easier in the knees. The flysurfer board is also designed by shinn even though they don’t get as much attention as his own boards do but they have the same magic if not more and as not quite as popular cause half the people don’t know who design them can probably be found a bit cheaper. I prefer there pads too.:-)
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post:
andrzej351 (Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:33 am

The misfit is a pretty stiff board and doesn't have a ton of rocker. I find it to be stable and great for going upwind but I don't love the pop or landing characteristics. The SS Vision is a better board for what you are describing (more pop and more rocker) and you don't sacrifice much of the upwind ability. If you can find the 2018 or 2019 Vision for a good price I would go that way vs the Misfit.

DVPgel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 80kg
Style: Just for fun. Try to jump high.
Gear: Naish Pivot (2020) 7,9,12
Lieuwe Shotgun (136*40,5) with Slingshot Dually
Ion Radar

Postby DVPgel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 am

This will be a hard decision for me.
According to Slingshot the Misfit is the most sold board of them. I was really hoping that you would make the decision easy for me and say that this is a great board ;-)
Now I have to think again... Hopefully I will not get a headache ;-)
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:36 am

DVPgel wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 pm
Hi, no I am not from Norway. Even though I find it very beautiful. I come from Germany. I think Havre comes from norway.
And ok. I am a little bit smarter about Camber and Whitstable. Please excuse me for not knowing. :o
I'll have to think very carefully about what I'm going to buy. Unfortunately I don't have anybody around here, so I can't test ride the boards...
Unfortunately, the Monarch boards are really too expensive for me. Maybe I will save some money and give myself a nice board for Christmas.
If you have big feet and plan on riding through the winter with booties make sure the pads can go big enough. I've heard the naish footpads may not always work.
These users thanked the author Mike101 for the post:
DVPgel (Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:05 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:41 am

Mike101 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:36 am
DVPgel wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 pm
Hi, no I am not from Norway. Even though I find it very beautiful. I come from Germany. I think Havre comes from norway.
And ok. I am a little bit smarter about Camber and Whitstable. Please excuse me for not knowing. :o
I'll have to think very carefully about what I'm going to buy. Unfortunately I don't have anybody around here, so I can't test ride the boards...
Unfortunately, the Monarch boards are really too expensive for me. Maybe I will save some money and give myself a nice board for Christmas.
If you have big feet and plan on riding through the winter with booties make sure the pads can go big enough. I've heard the naish footpads may not always work.
Good point. Still can't believe how little flexibility many of the straps/pads got.

Not sure if Naish have changed, but can confirm those can be !"%%"!% with booties. At least the ones I have tried (two friends used to have Naish boards).

Badgast
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Fuerteventura, Tarifa, Porto Pollo, Cabarete
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot 2020 7m & 9m, Ozone Edge 2013 11m, Ocean Rodeo Flite 2016 14.5m, Shinn Monk 2015, Shinn Bronq 2019, Liquid Force Moon Patrol, Slingshot Celeritas

Postby Badgast » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

Nowadays Naish is selling the Apex bindings in a larger version (size 9-15). Should be big enough for the larger feet :-)

DVPgel
Rare Poster
Ion Radar

Postby DVPgel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am

Yes I also drive through the winter.On my trax I already have the Apex bindings of Naish. (With the original from fone I always got pain in the sole of my foot after a very short time) This has worked for me until now. Ok from time to time it opened during the ride. But they are already quite old. Until now it worked with thicker neoprene boots.(6mm) But thanks for the hint. I will definitely pay attention to that.

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:02 am

I'd suggest that you do not ever buy any board without trying. You may be hugely disappointed. I bought many boards believing reviews, only to be disappointed... Not saying the reviews are not true, but your experience may not be the same, and having the same board in a different size makes for a very different ride.

Also, the Trax is a very sweet board. You may just keep riding it. Many boards you try you may not find as good.

BTW, my favorite boards so far are the Lieuwe Shotgun ( have a 141x42), and Ocean Rodeo Mako 150. Mako is awesome, do try one if you can.
These users thanked the author direnc for the post:
DVPgel (Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:05 pm)

DVPgel
Rare Poster
Ion Radar

Postby DVPgel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Yes, you're absolutely right. That would indeed be best. But you would have to test the board in different conditions to be sure. And you would have to have someone to lend you the boards. Unfortunately I don't have all that on site. That's why I try to find out what you like about a board in the reviews and experience reports, so that I can classify it. - But unfortunately I have read too much already and I feel totally insecure... To come back to the Misfit, some people say that super pop jumps up etc. and others say the opposite.
Maybe I'm simply going too crazy. With my skills I probably won't notice too many differences when jumping anyway.
Yes the Trax was fun. But in the meantime I get too much water in my face with the board ;-) - That was indeed different in the past...

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm

The difference between different twin tips is small in my experience. My favourite has been the Lieuwe Shotgun too. I didn’t get on with the Mako due to complete lack of flex and it being very heavy.
Now moved onto a Nomad Wave which has a similar profile to the Mako but really nice flex - I really love this board - the intention had been to use it just for waves but it’s very quickly become my main board.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
DVPgel (Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:56 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”