For all foil kite riders
apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:23 am

Steve271 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 am
Thx guys, got the chance to practice your advice today and am becoming more confident. It’s amazing that it often looks like a total train wreck, yet somehow turns back into a kite 🙂
That’s how I feel. 😀 I’m still feeling my way with these kites. There’s no doubt about the potential, it’s just about my pilot skills.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SolarSet » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:53 am

evan wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 am
joriws wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 am
SolarSet wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 pm
Hey did someone tried Core Sensor bar with Soul? Unlike FS bar it has highish Y rather then low V, however with line extension 2+4m front line splits somewhere in middle
Love this core bar and would like to use it for its brilliant auto untwist function that in FS Infinity 4.0 sucks
You could always swap long main lines from Infinity-bar to Core Sensor-bar, I mean above the leader lines & depower to get low V for centerlines, to experiment low V. Just make sure that safety works with enough travel to fully flag the Soul.
How would you do that on a core bar? The entire trim and flagout system is integrated in this high split setup so it is an extensive rebuild. Also both the flagout and depower cord share the full load, don't think the depower cord alone is rated to take the full load.

The flagout on a core bar works by pulling in 1 power line by 4m and the other one 2m. This does only provide sufficient flagout on core kites that have a bridle designed for this setup. It is extremely unsafe on any other kite! (there are some reports that it's even unsafe on core kites...)
Thanks for this post. I didn't really think about safety aspect of this. I noticed that core bar has stopper somehow similar to FS Force Control bar and thought it would be sufficient.

Its a shame not to use Sensor 3+ bar as it look like one of the best design bars for ergonomics & functionality.

I wouldn't consider modifying core bar, just to use it when switching between XR & Soul. Some people think high V or Y setup impact how kites fly and therefore Duotone & Core keeps their high Y setup.

I'm still working on getting most of the kite as I'm struggling to jump above 8m even in 20kts winds... It pulls me off edge as soon as I steer kite up...
Last edited by SolarSet on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:58 am

SolarSet wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:53 am
Its a shame not to use Sensor 3+ bar as it look like one of the best design bars for ergonomics & functionality.
indeed a shame they didn't went for a modern low-v single line flagout. One of the last brands to stick with a proprietary flagout system. Low or high V doesn't impact most kites that much, safety function does!

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 am

Hi there, just wondering if DT Clickbar would work well with a FlySurfer Soul 12m.

I know FS recomends 50cm for the 12m, however, I already own a clickbar (49cm) which I use with all my LEI kites and now that I've decided to try a RAM kite, maybe I could save some money and keep using the same bar...

Has anyone tried?

PS: I also know that the "beauty" of RAM kites is keep the bar attached and put it in the air with no hassle of untangling lines but, hey, force bar is as expensive as a clickbar and both are a nice/fancy tubes with lines (the most important element) attached to it. :D

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:51 am

rnelias wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 am
I know FS recomends 50cm for the 12m, however, I already own a clickbar (49cm) which I use with all my LEI kites and now that I've decided to try a RAM kite, maybe I could save some money and keep using the same bar...
Just check that front-line-safety (FLS on Flysurfer manuals) has clearance of approx kite half-span + 1m to flag out properly. So bar must be able to run 6-7m (I don't know span of Soul 12m) to properly flag out and safety to function. Low-V is recommended setup on front lines.

Other than that if the bar has on absolutely full power at kite end equal lines, basic trim should be good. 1cm less bar width is like 0.5cm per side, so *maybe* it affects 2% of turning speed. I'd not worry about it. Depower travel & bar travel is more important, you could see the bar throw specs on Flysurfer's recommended bar and see how Qlick matches that.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
rnelias (Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:44 pm

rnelias wrote:

I find a 50cm bar too small for the Soul 12m, I use 60cm, and still it is a slow turning kite. - Tom
These users thanked the author Tomlutz for the post:
rnelias (Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:26 pm)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:28 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:44 pm
rnelias wrote:

I find a 50cm bar too small for the Soul 12m, I use 60cm, and still it is a slow turning kite. - Tom
I also have a Cabrinha 65cm bar that I use with my Contra 15m. Maybe it would be a better choice for the Soul 12m. I'm just avoiding to buy other bar unnecessarily and, of course, save some bucks. These FS's bars are too expensive :o

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Boosting technique for 18m Soul on water with Large TT?
Hi guys, another question from a relatively newer rider. I understand most of this will come with time and experience but I’d certainly appreciate any advice to boost on such a large slow moving kite?
I’m comfortable boosting with tube kites and my 12m soul, but haven’t quite figured out the best approach for my 18m yet.
Specifically looking for tips about;
1) how low / high to send it from
2) how to maximize sending speed
3) how to minimize being pulled off my edge
4) best point to pull the bar
Any advice would be very welcome.
Regards
Steve
BTW already have 60cm bar and yes I have already searched posts on this site and kitesurf forum 🙂

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:57 pm

My soul 10m has developed a bit of an odd behaviour. It seeks to water on the red bridle side. I tried to do a mixer test on it (with bridle attachment points staked into the ground) and although it seems that A, B and C are fine, it looks like Z on that side is way too long (like maybe 2 cm on the short test and 4-5 on the long test).

1. Is it possible that Z being too long would cause an issue where the steering is off centre. It seems like it might given that Z is effectively the steering line.
2. How can you actually adjust Z? It doesn't look like the pulleys would adjust it so I can only think I need to reduce the length of the Z line somehow?

I'm going to remeasure again as it's possible that I've made a mistake somewhere but as far as I can tell, there's some stretch even in the short mixer test. Full disclosure, I first noticed this after crashing the kite practicing a front roll. Not a high powered crash but leading edge did strike the water.

*On the plus side, noticing this probably did save me a bad session as though it looked the right size kite on the land, I was really powered on my smaller LEI that I went out on instead so it probably may have been too much kite for the session.

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm

If your kite steers when fully depowered (c and z disengaged) it will very likely be not a problem on Z. Most likely your steering lines of the bar are out of tune then or something similar on A and B or in the mixer when you compare left to right.

If your kite goes straight depowered but steers unequally when engaging power something on Z will be likely (but also check your steering lines on the bar)

If Z is in tune you should also be able to see when you park your kite above your head and engage power equally to both sides.
On the soul the Z on the outer connection points is at the very trailing edge and engages before the centre normally. Also of course left and right should start to engage equally.
If it's really z like you have measured you can do a knot or two in your z mixer line or the bridle lines out of tune and shorten it that way. You should be aware of reducing the breakload that way by 40 percent easily so doing a knot in a reinforced area like a splice or where they are sewn together.
Z is though very little powered mostly compared to a and B so don't worry too much about knots
These users thanked the author Schietwedder for the post:
nothing2seehere (Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”