Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best folding and line management technique

For all foil kite riders
Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best folding and line management technique

Postby Jyoder » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:13 pm

But packing double skin foil kites DOWN, is horrible - it takes so much longer to get these deflated and packed in the bag, that everything you gain on the start compared to LEI's in terms of less time, is more than lost.
About equal for me, maybe just a little longer, considering you don’t have to disconnect the bar like with LEI. 15m Flysurfer Race with tiny deflate:
1. roll up bar just past first set up pulleys and apply buggies. Bridle Lines loose enough that wingtip isn’t getting pulled up with bar in middle of TE.
2. **Stick free end of bar inside the kite through the open deflate valve so most of bar is inside kite.
3. Fold kite in half starting with downwind tip, grab upwind tip as you reach it.
4. Give kite a little shake and separate bottom and top tip in left and right hands so top half of kite blows/moves ACROSS the bottom half toward and sometimes past the LE, pulling all the bridle lines with it onto the bottom half. Kite will sometimes fill with wind LE down requiring some shaking and tip pulling to return to flat but bridles will end up between in good position.
5. Bring tips back together and place on ground being careful kite doesn’t blow around too much.
6. Fold tips over together about a yard/meter to help keep kite halves aligned and then roll it up. Slow and steady at the end.
7. Take bar out as you near the end and leave bar outside bag to dry fully.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Just watching @Breze video and I drifted through to the videos of Horst launching in shallow and deep water. Lots of detail in both videos to take in. I notice that as Horst unrolls his lines he can pull the top and bottom lines to separate the bridles because the kite is preinflated but stalled so he has tension but not too much power.

I reckon you could do the same on land if you were underpowered (hydrofoil session) though you'd need to get used to the discipline of unwinding evenly first.

No problems with the time packing up. Yes, its a little slower than its possible to do with an LEI but its not a big difference compared to packing down properly with an LEI - though my soft kite is only 10m so that might be a lot faster to deflate.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:29 pm

I use a line organizer to keep the four kite attachment points separate from each other, then tuck that into one of the inlet openings of the kite. Put all the bridles on the kite, fold in half, roll.

The bar has a similar organizer, so attachment of lines to kite is quick. Attachment of lines to kite does not require sorting/walking beforehand.

Some kites have thin bridles, makes them much more prone to tangles (loops in constrictions, snags, etc). My Marabous have thin spectra near the kite and take double the time to make clean compared to my Kitech kites. Can't see it taking more than a minute to sort for either, once the lines are attached.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:04 pm

I usually wrap the lines around my bar until the pulleys and speed system are wrapped up and only the thin bridle lines are left, then roll each wingtip towards the center. I then ALWAYS unpack and repack my foil kites when I get home. I lay them out, shake off the sand and/or let them dry, run out the bridles to make sure the kite is ready for launch next time, then I concertina the ribs together as demonstrated in this video:

This sounds insane compared to just throwing a wet LEI in a backpack in a ball, but I have found that this extra 4.7 minutes of work when I get home results in cleaner gear (less sand = less abrasion) and an easier time launching during my next session because I know I'm ready to just run my lines, pre-inflate, and launch.

Besides the fact that these days, I'm very suspicious of storing foil kites for longer than a few minutes rolled up. I think that a lot of the tip tucking and weird collapse behavior from earlier days of foil kites was bent/twisted structure because we didn't know yet that it deformed our leading edge ribs. I'm not overjoyed that Ozone will void your warranty unless you pack the kite right, but it seems to be a recommendation based on necessity that actually preserves performance characteristics.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:58 pm

I use a couple of garter clips, one on each side. Once fitted they remain on the kite. I just wrap the bridles up and clip in each side before rolling up the kite. This means when unrolling the bridles stay sorted on each side and only takes seconds to lay them out.
Also tends to hold the bridles within the kite, rather than falling out when rolling up.
This is my 12mtr Soul.
Attachments
CB7B35E8-37C9-4D6D-8B9A-FA668796C4A9.png
1B2B744C-A56D-4F59-BF5D-0D63AC80FBBC.png
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
nothing2seehere (Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 pm

I am way faster with my foil than the tube. But I also only have a small 5m foil to deal with very simple bridle which I wrap up until the pulleys and end up without tangle. Otherwise I do pretty much the same as you do. G
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
nothing2seehere (Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks for all the responses. Based on the info here, I suspect my problem may be not maintaining adequate tension on the bridles during the pack/unpack. This seems like the opportunity for the tangles (not actual wrapped but just caught within one another ) and seems like an easy adjustment to make to my technique. Thank you for all the tips.

Return to “Foil Kites”