A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: what are you workin on? kitefoil strapless freestyle progression

Postby wavy navy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:55 am

@tkaraszewski: nice style. I like how you immediately correct your a little bit misplaced backfoot. I do that too and I think this proves that you trained it 1000 times to know exactly where the foot must be placed and at what time it's possible to correct it.

I think the thing most people are working on is nice circles. 360s or tacks is not the point. This thread helps me to see it's not about the right gear but it's about training in perfect conditions with different kitesizes in different winds.

One thing in this forum helped me: somebody said there's no abbreviation. Crash 5000 times or you'll never stick it.

I agree that one session in perfect conditions is more effective than 3 sessions in the normal choppy sea.

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:03 am

wavy navy wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:55 am

I agree that one session in perfect conditions is more effective than 3 sessions in the normal choppy sea.
I must disagree :-) Train the move in shitty conditions and it will be so much easier once you have good conditions. Witnessed this many times..
It applies especially to the roll tack: If you train it in marginal winds and then suddenly have the opportunity to do it well powered, it becomes so much easier as you have way more margin. In bad conditions (chop, low wind), you have to be very precise in timings and weight placement.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Aren't all light wind and challenging conditions simply training?

After a full season of working on skills, when the good wave days of fall show up, all the riding gets dialed back to what you truly have worked out and you ride the line. 5 years in I am officially as comfortable on foil as I ever was on SB. Overall level of security is probably higher. Launching a 4 is just not that intimidating. Pitching waves and shallows aside, its way easier to relax and chill in wild conditions.

As to the topic. Still working on the same stuff. I see a full 5 year arc to where I am right now. Fluked into my first "perfect" strapless airs yesterday in 20 knots. Have landed many, some bigger, but this one was a perfectly decent 10 footer, about 20 foot travel, hot knife landing to speed, zero wobble, kept surfing, felt seamless. Absolute moment. Hard to duplicate, but I have it worked into a well rehearse set of turns at a usual spot. the stoke from just that one will inspire hundreds of crashes.

Had the though for the first time that It's almost time to get a go pro.

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Yes, back to the topic: Just managing the first "around-the-world-cheat-version" trick, i.e. the around the around-world-trick (basically a downwind 360 around the kite) but like Fred Hope does them (on long lines where the lines go slack and he somehow manages to catch the kite back after the board 360 while it hindenburgs). I have managed a few more by luck I believe (20m lines), but would like to watch a video where you see kite positioning during the move. I have only seen short sequences, but never the full thing from a good perspective.
Reason doing the "cheat" version and not the "full downloop powered lines" version is that for the latter, you need really short lines which is not great for other riding (at least for me).
Any videos around? Any tips?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Thanks, I have seen those, this is not what I mean, those are the "classic" around-the-world ones. In some Slingshot promotion videos (UFO f.ex. at 0:53 sec), you see Fred Hope doing the 360 with SLACK lines..
As mentioned, the advantage is that you dont seem to need short lines.. Its doable, I have done a few on 20m lines, but not pretty, off-foil- water-until-knees type..
So if anybody has some advise...

lebast
Rare Poster
Gear: 15 FS Boost, 9,7,5 Naish Pivot, 4 Naish Slash, Ketos 118, Wave Xl, G10 350, 83 Rfx, standard fuselage

Postby lebast » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 am

Ahoi,
more moving images of my progression:

hope you enjoy, we had a fun session with 9s.
currently working on: grabs on frontside airs, higher backside airs, backrolls w/ and w/o grab...so alot more tricks to capture. Proper "wave"foil footage is also on my list...time to get a kiteline gimbal and someone with a tele lens :wink:.

@Quiter: thanks for keeping us up to date
These users thanked the author lebast for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:06 am) • LeoLeal (Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:31 pm) • FLandOBX (Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:28 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 am

lebast wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 am
Ahoi,
more moving images of my progression:

hope you enjoy, we had a fun session with 9s.
currently working on: grabs on frontside airs, higher backside airs, backrolls w/ and w/o grab...so alot more tricks to capture. Proper "wave"foil footage is also on my list...time to get a kiteline gimbal and someone with a tele lens :wink:.

@Quiter: thanks for keeping us up to date
I liked the mid-air foot switch, that was cool.

lebast
Rare Poster
Gear: 15 FS Boost, 9,7,5 Naish Pivot, 4 Naish Slash, Ketos 118, Wave Xl, G10 350, 83 Rfx, standard fuselage

Postby lebast » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:55 pm

@tkaraszewski merci

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 am

I liked the mid-air foot switch, that was cool.
same.

Return to “Hydrofoil”