Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

semi-drysuit questions and other brands

Forum for kitesurfers
vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.
Brand Affiliation: None

semi-drysuit questions and other brands

Postby vakiter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:43 pm

has anyone used a semi-dry suit for kiting ? i think this just means it has neoprene neck gasket.

curious if it takes on water body-dragging. this might depend on fit i know, but would like to know of experiences being good or bad.

also curious if anyone has used kokatat, or stohlquist suits. seem like similar usage to OR but a little cheaper.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: semi-drysuit questions and other brands

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Dry, semi dry. Why bother? Ever since they started putting a warm fleecy lining in winter wetsuits, a good hooded wetsuit has been the way to go. My current winter suit is somewhere around 5 maybe 6 years old and I only ever get moist around the cuffs. Core stays dry unless I really work and sweat a bit. Far more important to stay toasty than worry about staying dry. It is after all, a water sport.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
apollo4000 (Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am

Another thought - I think jumptheshark found something that works for him which is great! For me my drysuit functionally changed my world - just sayin'

Fully understanding the need to find value in your kit - my .02 is that your drysuit is NOT a place to skimp. Further if you are gonna kite in winter, it's really imperative that you take time to understand that it's a very different experience requiring some new knowledge and safety protocols vs. our summer time activities.

Good Luck and welcome to the 4 seasons club.

Cheers,

Mc

:dance:
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
vakiter (Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 pm)

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:20 pm

thanks.

i rode all year last year in a hooded 5/4. its great, and generally the extremities go before your core gets cold. im interested in the drysuit to avoid the getting in/out the wetsuit. and i found foiling doesnt generate as much heat as fin kiting.

yes mc, i totally agree that your risk level in winter has to adapt to the dangers. that is good advice.
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:
McLovin (Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 am)

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:54 pm
Dry, semi dry. Why bother? Ever since they started putting a warm fleecy lining in winter wetsuits, a good hooded wetsuit has been the way to go. My current winter suit is somewhere around 5 maybe 6 years old and I only ever get moist around the cuffs. Core stays dry unless I really work and sweat a bit. Far more important to stay toasty than worry about staying dry. It is after all, a water sport.
This. A well fitting modern wetsuit with a fleece liner stats pretty dry for me and super warm. Not sure where you're kiting, but a good 5/4 does me all winter south coast UK, I have a hooded 6/4, but don't even in winter it's too hot and take the hood down.

What is a semi-dry suit?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 pm

A semi-drysuit is a drysuit with more comfortable neck and wrist gaskets ( typically neoprene gaskets)
Semi dry can be ok -depending- on the design. Neoprene neck and wrist gaskets will work ok only if they are very tight.
Kokatat semi-dry still has latex wrists BUT the neoprene neck seal is NOT tight enough on their design, its loose, with a draw string, so that wouldn’t work for a rigorous body drag imo unless you can keep your neck up? Kokatat in general however is absolutely top quality, their full drysuits would work great for kiting and their stuff is backed by an insanely good lifetime warranty that no other manufacturer is going to give you.

I have a Gul drysuit with TIGHT neoprene-ish neck and wrists and it works great, and is comfortable and durable compared to latex gaskets, and it cost less than a good wetsuit.
That said I generally wear my hooded wetsuit until it gets crazy balls cold at that point I use the drysuit. A long swim in a drysuit vs wetsuit is night vs day.
I do find the mobility (while kiting, not swimming) of the drysuit quite a lot better than a 5 or 6mm wetsuit.
Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Last edited by Greenturtle on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
vakiter (Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:44 pm)

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:46 pm

My Ion Element is labeled as semi-dry. It's just a wetsuit with membrane that covers the back zipper from leaks, but does not prevent from some cold water to go through the neck. It does fine during body dragging, but falling may cause a minor, but unpleasant leak.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:42 pm

vakiter wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:43 pm
has anyone used a semi-dry suit for kiting ? i think this just means it has neoprene neck gasket.

curious if it takes on water body-dragging. this might depend on fit i know, but would like to know of experiences being good or bad.

also curious if anyone has used kokatat, or stohlquist suits. seem like similar usage to OR but a little cheaper.
Just get the OR, these guys have it nailed. I have both a Drysuit and a very good winter wetsuit. Drysuit is warmer ,and more comfortable IMO. The big issue for me when deciding which to wear is air temp. If it's warm, above 50f, I will wear my wetsuit ,if it below that into the mid 30s I much prefer the Drysuit...
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
vakiter (Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:44 pm)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:02 pm

The semi-dry wetsuits have seals around the neck and wrist to prevent water from rushing in but they are still wetsuits water still gets in. It's useful in cold water you get less water coming in and out.

Several people here use Kokatat drysuits for kiting and are happy with them. One guy I know replaced his Kokatat after 15 years of kiting with it and he bought another one. I had one myself for a few years. Some people report they are more breathable than Ocean Rodeo drysuits and produce less condensation sweat inside but I never had an OR suit so that's just what I heard. I now use a Level 6 drysuit and I'm happy with it. I had a Gul drysuits for 12 years it was starting to leak a little bit after all this time but it's still usable I'm keeping it as a backup. All good products. Look for a drysuit with built in socks it makes a huge difference in cold water your feet stay warm and dry.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Not sure where JUMPTHESHARK lives, around here, in February, there is one spot what there is not ice so we flock there if the thermometer goes above 5-6C (went down to -6C one December but the security s frozen, the cleat is frozen and the bar does not slide well). Otherwise we just ride with skis or snowboards. All this to say that yes we kite in 4C water and 4-5C aire temp.

SO, to avoid your hands and feet from freezing, a HOT core is important. I personally hate hoods, so I put a ski mask with a neoprene beanie.

This is where a drysuit comes in handy. I have a volcanic, so 4mm neoprene, underneath I wear ski base layer and a stretch polar. Those suits are super stretchy, the neck seal can be tight but I have no issues, I just know some folks hate that feeling. When you get out of it you are pretty much dry (could have condensation from body heat but in 3-4C dry temperature, you will come out dry. From there, you put your coat on, jeans and you will be the first at the pub....

Return to “Kitesurfing”