How Long Does A Harness Last

Forum for kitesurfers
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

How Long Does A Harness Last

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:51 am

Hey All,
How often do people replace their harnesses before total failure. I have a 2018 RE that I have maybe 150 sessions, maybe 300-400 hours, harness looks good but straps are getting frayed by the buckles. Snow season is coming up so end of season sales are upon us.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: How Long Does A Harness Last

Postby leeuwen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:11 pm

I think it’s hard to give a standard answer:
Your weight and usage can highly differs also what’s acceptable wear/risk may be different from person to person.

Someone using a harness to foil probably hardly sees any wear while a 150kg rider boosting 20+ meters puts a whole different level of stress on the equipment.

I would personally double check at wear signs where the harness is connected to the straps. Those points are easy to miss and therefore can fail quite spectacularly at an inconvenient moment.

If you think you see a good deal for a harness while your current one seems worn and might not make the next season end I would go for it. You can just keep using the old one and when it’s time is up you have a new one ready to go.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:17 pm

A looong time.

Replace straps and after a few years I would replace metal spreader bars in case of metal fatigue. I have know them to rip off at the weld - rare but happens.. happened to someone I knew of at wrong time- v close to drowning in very very large surf.... f$%$ing scary situation...

Trouble is that that you never quite know the stainless/weld quality if you buy. new one - but like i said i havnt seem it happen much.

I need to listen to my own advice... really pushing it with my current harness.. time to go shopping

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:28 pm

x10 sessions for one brand, up to indefinite for RRD - but i replace when the webbing straps start looking less than 100%

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:43 pm

My manera exo is 5 years old and hammered. The discolouration around the weld tells me I should consider replacing the spreader soon. The webbing is still like new, I always open and adjust the position of both sides to reduce strap wear. The problem is I cannot find a drop in spreader bar replacement for the 2 wide straps on the exo and a lot of companies sell the bars are same point I can buy a new exo harness. If I can find the eclipse for a decent price I'll upgrade to one of those soon.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 pm

I only buy Naish and Neil Pryde harnesses, the webbing is all replaceable (although recent Naish harnesses are now sewen in! grrr!!). Change the webbing every year and you should get around 4 years, or so. Also wash your harness afer every session with fresh water, same with bar & lines.
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:33 pm

For me a quite few years when you keep at it for the occasional repair. Since I bought the Speedy Stitcher they are also easy on the harness. But of course it looks bad after about a year or so. I have a Dakine seat harness.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:07 pm

I have a Neil Pride wind surfing harness from 1998. I thrashed it for maybe 5 years then it hardly got any use until I got into kite surfing 2015. After less than a year the main strap frayed and I replaced it with webbing from industrial truck tie down straps. I got a rib injury when it slid up and compressed my chest during an inadvertant loop so I cut the shoulder straps off an old kite bag and converted into a seat harness. Then I decided I wanted to try a slider instead of a hook and converted it... so that's 9 years with repair, still going strong.
Another harness I got 2'nd hand, mystic? the stitching on the strap gave up so I re-stitched the straps. Google speedystitcher if you are looking for a diy stuper strong hand stitching tool.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Mi Warrior harness is almost 10 yo

JaDan
Rare Poster
Gear: 7M Naish Ride
Has thanked: 0

Postby JaDan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:44 am

I used my Dakine renegade for 5 yrs , still useable but
It’s showing it’s age. Retired it to indoor practice only now.

I’ve got some friends that have some harness from 2009,
I would not trust my life with them though, lol.

Return to “Kitesurfing”