Forum for kitesurfers
Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

bag

Postby Jamesconn300 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 am

Thinking about a bag- different capabilities depending on different situations.

In most situations, you can leave a bag with extra gear and not fear it stolen, or I'm with the lady and her recliner who will look after bag while out. I'm really cautious about leaving extra kites or gear around while on water. If the car parking is 200+ meters from a launch you don't wanna go back and forth swapping sails if it can be avoided right? Or if going by boat to spot, super easy to have everything in a single bag without too much dangling on the outside, I personally prefer pump and bar inside for some reason.

What is the best stuff sack or backpack style bag on the market that can hold at least- 12m, 9m maybe also 7m or some combo of 3 kites + bar + pump + harness. or attachment points to hang harness. Then would only have to carry foil or board with arms, maybe can carry foil in one arm twintip in other. How many liters required for this load wondering?

I saw a youtube video a while back of an Australian dude who got a custom canvas cylindrical bag with a pull string top, and a double layer on the bottom for longevity. didn't look so heavy, looked quality. Someone mentioned a Dakine bag recently. I'm looking for a single bag with backpack straps that can hold almost everything.

If there is a recent or any thread that goes over all this, please post the link.

Tried to find this Dakine compression bag/sack, it looks like they are more made for individual kites. Those look perfect to compress the kites in the bag I'm thinking of. Kites in bags in a bag. So much baggage... also, can't find the dimensions for the Dakine compression bag in liters. [ 60 X 25 X 30cm ] can anyone convert that to liters? that is the largest Dakine compression bag I can find.

After more research, I think what I'm personally after is a backpack-style duffle bag. maybe soft/light enough that I wouldn't trust flying with gear fearing damage. 100 liters? 110 liters? Does anyone have a preferred duffle backpack for day-use? I just spent an hour looking on the internet at bags. After more thought, thinking of putting this soft duffel backpack in the large padded and hard plastic reinforced board bag I use for flying with equipment. Although looks like no Mexico trip this year :( ..

half of the google search results are in inches/cm and they dont post liters. makes it really hard to judge volume without a human for scale. Drybag versions could be the best option but look like the most expensive.

Could have just found a winner. chose to check amazon last for a strange reason.

It looks like those are really handles - not backstraps, but i could pull them off as shoulder straps with light modification or leaving a portion unzipped. check out at how small it compresses!

This is probably closer to what I imagined. Does anyone know of something similar or better for around the same pricing?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: bag

Postby Havre » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Can't help you, but one big mystery why no-one have been able to come up with a better solution for such kind of bag.

Will be interesting to see if anyone have found one.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:48 pm

You might take a look at the bags on the ozone web sites for kites and also their paragliding site. I’ve got a couple of their backpack bags for snow kiting and really like them and when kite skiing I wear the backpack since it is so comfortable.

If you want something heavier, you might look at the REI branded duffles with backpack straps in different sizes.

There are really nice scuba diving backpack bags also but I had a nice new dive bag that was sliced open at the airport. I was told they probably reached in feeling around for an expensive metal regulator they could steal.

I usually carry one kite pack with me from the rental car to the beach along with a big Ikea shopping style bag holding my other gear. Then I hang the empty kite bag on a tree limb with the IKEA bag folded up inside. I leave 2 other kites in the trunk of the rental car. The car is vulnerable to theft but I’ve never had a problem - I know a guy that pulled up and went into a hotel to check in at the front desk and when he went back to the car they had already pulled out the lock on his trunk and taken everything inside and left in about 10 minutes. There’s also heat in the trunk from the sun cooking the kites, but I haven’t seen problems.

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:30 pm

I use a sup bag aquamarina 90lt, holds 13,10,8m lei's, pump, harness, plus other bits and bobs, you can't attach board to it, it's on wheels and you can comfortably carry it on back, you can put a zip lock on it if you need, don't know how you could stop someone taking whole bag thou, never had that problem.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:05 pm

There's no right or wrong answer, I really do like some of the creative wagons you can pull with a bicycle people have built (hope people to show their wagons here) but here's what I do:

every kite goes into a polyester laundry sack (without holes, since kite lines get stuck on a mesh bag)

$15 per laundry bag

somewhere between 2 and 4 kites then fit into a large duffle bag north star sports duffel 42 inch

$30

foil wing and mast goes into 61 key keyboard bag roadrunner gig bag

$40

The price of actual backpacks with enough capacity is so expensive when what you really need is about 175 liters of capacity.

You don't want to know how much time I spent on google looking for bags like this before I eventually found the north star sports duffel 42 inch. Only an hour? Oh I got that beat.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Jamesconn300 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 am
What is the best stuff sack or backpack style bag on the market that can hold at least- 12m, 9m maybe also 7m or some combo of 3 kites + bar + pump + harness. or attachment points to hang harness. Then would only have to carry foil or board with arms, maybe can carry foil in one arm twintip in other. How many liters required for this load wondering?

I'm looking for a single bag with backpack straps that can hold almost everything.
The first thing that comes to mind is Ozone's Travel Board Bag w/ removable backpack style straps
https://ozonekites.com/products/accessories/board-bag/

I can confirm it will fit a foil board too. :thumb:

Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

Postby Jamesconn300 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Thanks Dave, Aberdovy, Da Yoda and Edt! :bye:

It's going to take me a while to go through everyone's suggestions. I'll report back any news. I can’t thank enough, this was 1000x more information than I anticipated and less than 24 hours of posting. Thanks again!! :D

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:11 am

I have found my old 17m kite backpack bag an excellent option. I no longer use the 17m. The kite bag can hold a 8,10,12m plus harness vest and helmet. The side pockets hold a pump and bar.
Unfortunately, I just sold the 17 and gave away the bag.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:44 am

The Daddy of “kite” bags (actually a rope bag - see the "Dawn Wall"- for what it's supposed to be used for!), extends to a huge 145l, has shoulder straps, multiple attachment points & even a padded seat!

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... 0ALL1.html

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:13 am

For van travel, laundry bags for individual kites, builders mini jumbo bag 90L for multi kite (doubles as sandbag tether), and builders Flexi tub 70L for wet kites are a cheap option in the UK. Make a shoulder sling on carabiners for the tubs and bags. A garden trolley or caddy is useful if you live close or have a big van, a faithful kite butler would be even better.

All on eBay except the butler, they are hard to find.
Last edited by Herman on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”