Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rocker Modification for early takeoff

Postby Wazza Foil » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am

It seems that the Coanda effect is well known by designers. So why are windwing boards not already designed to break the Coanda effect?
Are there other advantages of current boards that over take the benefit of breaking the Coanda effect?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:03 am

Wazza Foil wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am
It seems that the Coanda effect is well known by designers. So why are windwing boards not already designed to break the Coanda effect?
Are there other advantages of current boards that over take the benefit of breaking the Coanda effect?
I'm sure the sub-planing speed of a SUP is slightly higher without the anti-Coanda wedges. However inflateable dropstitch construction SUPs are still new to humans, within our lifetimes. It was a long time before humans twigged to planing hulls having certain advantages in their niche over conventional hulls. It was only last year in May that Kai Lenny had his invention of wing-surf foiling publicised and we have many more amazing inventions to be figured out and moved from conceptual to reality. I feel so privileged to live in a world where I can have an idea, design it and print it in 3D that same day. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing more higher performance SUPs with modifications to improve planing performance. All the good reviews of standard boards side by side with SUPs emphasize the difference in handling of rails and that SUPs are more sticky. However weight is great, resilience fantastic and the technology to make the mast top mount rigid is easily added. There will be after-market mods too. I've been refining my 3D printing design for tough polyurethane printing and have my latest design on the printer as an overnight batch. Hollow with 0% infill and straight and angled reinforcement cutting hollows for cutting to different lengths and fitting angles. Flexy superglue and they will be ready to mount tomorrow morning.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am

Wazza Foil wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am
Some are. At least my designs for Indiana are designed with a sharp tail to break the Coanda effect. I know of a few other shapers also designng their boards like this for example Mikes Lab.

The reason why most Wingboards from Big Brands still look like SUPFoil boards, is that they play it safe and just copy what is already on the market as they don't have time to invest in real side by side testing. They leave that up to small shapers and then take the lessons learned there and incorporate them into their products about a year later. So this takes time.

--
Gunnar

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wazza Foil » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:13 am

Gunnar would you post a picture of your boards design to break the Coanda effect please.
PM me if you do not want to make it public.
Thanks

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:37 am

I redid my curved wedges in TPU filament(Flexible) and tried them out in the weekend. Fixed them on with flexible superglue, "Loktite Powerflex", used 2 bottles of 3Grams each.
The fixing seems very stable and I think there is a slight improvement though I'm not confident enough to be looking back as I'm taking off.
Attachments
20201116_181626.jpg
20201116_181606.jpg
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
Horst Sergio (Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am

@fluidity: :thumb:

Looks very good, I would imagine that you would feel more effect on a smaller board and maybe also the edges has to be a bid bigger.

If your actual seem to be stable connected and you are interessted to build a couple for me I would buy it, just name your price. :)

Thanks

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am
@fluidity: :thumb:
Looks very good, I would imagine that you would feel more effect on a smaller board and maybe also the edges has to be a bid bigger.
If your actual seem to be stable connected and you are interessted to build a couple for me I would buy it, just name your price. :)
Thanks
Hi Horst, thanks!
Given you're in Europe and I'm in New Zealand it's probably faster for you to find someone local with a 3D printer or a local 3D printer shop to print out a set for you. I have the design up for free here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4650926
5 pieces does the underside of my board and I'll be adding an stl file for the sides yet and possibly some pieces to allow a bit more natural curve. They should be printed small face down in TPU (Tough Polyurethane) filament for best results, the TPU will flex with the board so you can still deflate and roll it up, hammer the anti-Coanda wedgies etc with no damage.
It definitely makes a difference if I move the board and watch water coming off the square rear edge or round front edge when I'm in the water but I'm not experienced enough to feel the difference when I'm standing on the board yet... Though I have got going easier since the weekend I put them on, but that was also the second time I tried my new bigger wing :D

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:09 am

Here's my revised version: https://pinshape.com/items/103319-3d-pr ... laning-kit
I made pieces to go around the sides at the back and some angled pieces for round sterns and 2 x under side pieces.
It's important that these are printed in TPU filament for flexibility and use a flexible superglue like Loctite powerflex as vinyl solvent glues won't likely work on the TPU filament plastic.
Attachments
SUP planing kit.PNG

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 am

I'm getting more uptime now. Enough to have a much better idea of the effectiveness of the coanda disruptors. I have this faint memory of the inflateable board being sticky. No more! :D
Since putting the disruptors on the underside and also the sides at the back I don't notice any more stickiness. The board now planes very easily and the transition to foil no longer has the feeling of breakaway from being sticky at the back, I just get the change from a ride on the water to a ride on the foil only. Definitely all SUP foil manufacturers should be modifying like this and for those who haven't, get a set of my kit on pinshape printed.

alex 1
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby alex 1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:34 am

Hi, happy to see the idea developing...my conclusions after a few weeks of use...this really makes the board better, hope some of you 3d experts bring the model to thingiverse 😀

regards
LXT

Return to “Wingsurfing”