Pocketboard question

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pocketboard question

Postby purdyd » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Chestnut wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:37 pm
Thank you for all the great input. I guess I will go for the 110cm Dwarfcraft insteae of the 100cm.

I am still wondering how big the Hydrofoil sport will be in kiting? I guess it is just a small group at this point, but maybe I am wrong.
I don’t know where you kite but foiling is all over the place and growing. I guess it remains to be seen if wing foiling will steal a lot kite foilers and slow down the progress.

Chestnut
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chestnut » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Location is Holland and here there is a difference where you go. Some beaches there are none and others there are many.

From my point of view Wing foiling is something different, but will be a go fore some.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:41 am

Chestnut wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:51 pm
Location is Holland and here there is a difference where you go. Some beaches there are none and others there are many.

From my point of view Wing foiling is something different, but will be a go fore some.
My perspective is kite foiling has grown a lot in the last few years. I know some who rarely even kite on a regular board.

And now some of the same people are now transitioning to wing foiling, And they seldom ride a foil with a kite now.

So while it is totally different in some ways, it attracts the same people.

And I there places where wingfoiling is possible and kiting is not.

It would interesting to know the breakdown by age and experience of those who twintip, surfboard, kite foil, windsurf, and wing foil.

In my 35 years of chasing the wind, windsurfing, kite surfboard, kite twintip, kite surfboard, kite foil. I have followed a path to having fun in lighter and lighter wind.

And that is why I don’t think kite foiling is a passing fad and frankly as you get better, kite foiling is very accessible in strong winds. I never thought I would own a 3m kite.

In regards to pocket boards, I think you are right to be skeptical of really small boards. I’ve seen that trend over and over again.

Interesting to see that Fred Hope won the foil comp in Brazil on a 100 cm board, and Fred is not a little guy. Some of the strapped foilers appeared to be using longer boards.

That I think is because of the difference in riding styles.

And there is a lot of progression in foiling so what you like today, may not be what you like in 6 months. And the equipment, kites, foils, boars are evolving too.

So at some point you’ll just have to jump in and try something like a really short board and find your limits.

Good luck!

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:08 am

I have used many pocket board sizes. Personally I have 2 105cm boards and 2 80 cm boards. 80cm boards are for travelling (fits suitcase). 105cm is for regular use.

I don't think weight matters at all when choosing your pocket boards. Hydrofoil front wing is much more important. So heavier dudes just buy bigger front wings. Pocket boards are designed to stand on, not to plane. So even 130cm is just tad short to plane over water.

You need a front wing you can waterstart directly on foil without any speed generation needed. Of course your wind conditions affect how easy this is.
Why then I use 105 instead of 80. Mainly for practising tricks. 105cm board with a good rocker lets you save water touches, 80cm is quite brutal when you fail...

Chestnut
Rare Poster

Postby Chestnut » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:55 am

Great article Purdyd!

I think you are right, but switching from a good setup with a kitefoil you can go in less wind than with a Wingfoil setup.

One of the reasons that I started foiling with a kite is getting more fun is less wind. Switching back to a wing would make in my opinion not much sens, but maybe I am wrong.

To get back in trends you are right we have been played by marketing so many times. I have see many version of many products come and go. Is wakestyle even alive at this point?

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Chestnut wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:55 am
Great article Purdyd!

I think you are right, but switching from a good setup with a kitefoil you can go in less wind than with a Wingfoil setup.

One of the reasons that I started foiling with a kite is getting more fun is less wind. Switching back to a wing would make in my opinion not much sens, but maybe I am wrong.

To get back in trends you are right we have been played by marketing so many times. I have see many version of many products come and go. Is wakestyle even alive at this point?
I agree about wing foiling but I have seen some significant progress this year with larger wings, better boards, and large high aspect foils.

Still not close to the low end of a kite on a foil

But it has opened up some spots that can’t be kited. It also is making more room for kitesurfing.

Kite foiling did the same thing in our area, places that historically aren’t as windy are usable and people stayed closer to home.

However, I’ve noticed a resurgence in twintips and new even younger kiteboarders. Perhaps they only seem younger because I am old.

And I think some of the wakestyle moves appeal to and are more practical for the younger crowd.

How old are valentin rodriguez and MIkaili Sol? Freestyle champions?

And the hydrofoil freestyle just in Brazil, Nicolas March Paniza Is over 60 and competed quite well.

So I think various disciplines will ebb and surge dictated by rider age and conditions.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:37 pm

I have owned boards down to 94cm and have found my preferred length is around 110cm. Less than that makes it hard to go fast for me, I can’t get my front foot far enough forward. I think I have a wider stance than many, though. A “racier” stance will limit you on very short boards.

I think boards longer than 135cm or so are obsolete except for very specific uses, and 90-125cm will cover 95% of what people want. If you want to go fast and/or have a wider stance, go longer, otherwise you can go shorter.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:33 pm

^^^
Started on a big Alien Air for and rode it for a few months, years ago--PERFECT. Once I could stay on foil and start to mess with foot switches it felt way too big. I went to a more narrow 46 DC (137cm) and really felt like a mistake, in that it just seemed way too long still

Sold it in short order and bought the thicker DC 36 (107cm). Loved that board for a year. Seemed perfect. After 1.5 seasons it was starting to feel "unresponsive." The thickness made the wings feel less lively. Went to the 36DC Micro (thinner) once they designed it with tracks back far enough for surf wings--Perfect! Rode that for a year.

Then, the "extra" 7 cm at the nose was starting to bug me. I tried a 90 cm board, but at 6'3" it was too short for my stance. Bought the DC 100 cm in July--Perfect!

The only constant is change...

Chestnut
Rare Poster

Postby Chestnut » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Oregonkiter whats your weight and hight?

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm

81.6 Kg (180 lbs)
192 cm (6' 3.5")

Return to “Hydrofoil”