Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

St Lucia

Postby grtlakes » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:56 am

Looking for local knowledge or any recent traveller tips.
Thinking of a December trip.
Ps country of St Lucia not Santa Lucia Cuba

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder
Has thanked: 0

Re: St Lucia

Postby WMFG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm

For St Lucia, check out the Coconut Bay Resort. It's an all inclusive resort with a kite centre a short walk down the beach. The kite centre is affiliated/owned by the resort but down the beach a bit. You can bring your own gear and there's a small storage fee, or they had rentals/lessons.

Kiting is good flat water protected by reef, some OK waves. It's pretty good for foiling but there's some reef to be aware of.

Overall this is a top notch operation. Also worth noting the resort is 5 mins from the airport, so you an ride on arrive and departure day depending on flight times of course.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:35 pm

WMFG wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm
For St Lucia, check out the Coconut Bay Resort. It's an all inclusive resort with a kite centre a short walk down the beach. The kite centre is affiliated/owned by the resort but down the beach a bit. You can bring your own gear and there's a small storage fee, or they had rentals/lessons.

Kiting is good flat water protected by reef, some OK waves. It's pretty good for foiling but there's some reef to be aware of.

Overall this is a top notch operation. Also worth noting the resort is 5 mins from the airport, so you an ride on arrive and departure day depending on flight times of course.
Storage

Coconut Bay’s kitesurfing guests are also welcome to bring their own gear. For a $25 Daily Facility Fee, the resort will provide equipment storage, use of Air Compressor, assisted launching and boat rescues.
the "storage fee" is required to kitesurf their beach....if one does not rent or take lessons from them?

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:52 pm

I've been there in spring a few years ago:

The main spot is right there outside of the airport. If you're tight on money - you can stay directly on the spot, food is good. But I'd highly recommend shelling out for the Coconut resort. It's really noisy on the spot, with the planes constantly landing and taking of and night life at beach bars goes on really late.
Not to mention that beach accommodations are really rustic and mosquito nets don't help much.

The spot itself is quite nice, but as far as wind does - don't get your hopes too high. If it's windy - chances are - an average Joe of 180-200lbs would be lucky to ride a 12m as his smallest kite. Bringing a 17m or a foil is highly recommended. Rentals are available at the spot, there's also a mandatory per-stay kite access fee.

There's another kiting spot all the way to the North - the Plantation Beach. Definitely worth checking out.

All in all, it's a decent destination for beginners, but more serious riders looking for stronger winds (with better chances of actually finding some) - should probably look elsewhere.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Coconut Bay resort is the bomb. Great flat water and some waves there. Blows nearly every day in Jan and Feb

lucian girl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cas en Bas
Style: freestyle
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby lucian girl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:20 am

St Lucia has two spots in the south, either side of the airport runway.
The Reef kite school is open in the windy season and a kite school inside the all inclusive resort of Coconut Bay.
One spot in the north on Cas en Bas (Plantation) beach.
The spot in the north is the main spot where all of the locals on the island ride.
There is a kitesurfing school on the north run by local rider Beth since 2006 kitesurfingstlucia.com
A fully stocked Cabrinha school with rentals and jetski assisted lessons available.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:17 am

Thinking about heading to Coconut Bay in early February. I don't love all-inclusive hotels, but with COVID, I'm not real sure which is safer,being in one spot that has protocols in place or running around to random jerk chicken huts and what not.

My main question is the waves on the reef - what can I expect in late January/early February, I'm pretty much just a foil and mainly surf kiter at this point. Just looking for a week to relax, I would just go to Barbados, but the quarterine there is preventing it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 am

adamj2281 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:17 am
Thinking about heading to Coconut Bay in early February. I don't love all-inclusive hotels, but with COVID, I'm not real sure which is safer,being in one spot that has protocols in place or running around to random jerk chicken huts and what not.

My main question is the waves on the reef - what can I expect in late January/early February, I'm pretty much just a foil and mainly surf kiter at this point. Just looking for a week to relax, I would just go to Barbados, but the quarterine there is preventing it.
I think the best bet is a condo where you can do your own cooking in an environment where you're not forced to mingle with a bunch of other people.

My experience in St. Lucia - I believe it was around March break - at the airport area mostly, was that it was pretty consistently windy, but it's choppy water, neither flat not waves. The two kiting spots are not particularly appealing, although St. Lucia has some attractive beaches & spectacular scenery around the volcanoes.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
adamj2281 (Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”