A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pocketboard question

Postby purdyd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:38 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:33 pm
^^^
Started on a big Alien Air for and rode it for a few months, years ago--PERFECT. Once I could stay on foil and start to mess with foot switches it felt way too big. I went to a more narrow 46 DC (137cm) and really felt like a mistake, in that it just seemed way too long still

Sold it in short order and bought the thicker DC 36 (107cm). Loved that board for a year. Seemed perfect. After 1.5 seasons it was starting to feel "unresponsive." The thickness made the wings feel less lively. Went to the 36DC Micro (thinner) once they designed it with tracks back far enough for surf wings--Perfect! Rode that for a year.

Then, the "extra" 7 cm at the nose was starting to bug me. I tried a 90 cm board, but at 6'3" it was too short for my stance. Bought the DC 100 cm in July--Perfect!

The only constant is change...
Same journey only I ended up on an axis tray 94 and skipped the thicker dwarfcraft. The 4’6” dwarfcraft was a waste of time. When I changed to the dwarfcraft micro I wondered why I waited so long. And then after awhile I was the same, look at all that space in front.

The tray 94 has a lot of width and carries it through the tail and a decent nose scoop so it probably pops up like a larger board.

I notice the new dwarfcraft 100 is a bit wider and has a bit more nose scoop than the micro so it should be a great board too,

We moved someone quickly this year, in a month a half from the alien air, to the thick dwarfcraft and it was easier for them.

So my experience is that riders do well on moving to the smaller boards.

I agree the guys who like to go fast seem to like a longer board and their stance tends to be wider. That generally means a faster smaller foil and that size becomes more important for getting going.

And yes, there is a lot of change and something that is too short or too long might not feel that way in a few months.

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JoseTumaco » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:56 am

TomW wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 pm
Chestnut wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 pm
Hi Tom,

Do you think the pocketboards are a trend or the new way for Freeride foiling?
I think it is a "trend"to go really short to 88-90cm. For now. But a 105-110 board is so much more forgiving, with 90% of the benefits of going shorter. So i believe people will settle into 105-110.
As a strong intermediate, I built and tested 90-105-110-120 boards with similar outline and rockers. I found 105 to be best.
I'm 80 kg, 173cm on 1000cm2 foil.

Guys that are lighter, riding in flat water or maintaining super high level of freestyle, like Fred Hope, they will stay with 90cm or a bit under.
Thanksa lot for All this nice advice in this posts. I am in a very similar decisión. I learned foiling one year ago in a 150 cm board and 633 wing, 91 mast. (75 kg). I want to change my board, and reading this thread I think 110 could ve a good option for my level, I am just begining air gibe, (less than 50% succes yet). But my question is if 110 is too dificoult for my level and 120 should be a better option? I only interested in freeride and fun.
These users thanked the author JoseTumaco for the post:
TomW (Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Chestnut
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Gear: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chestnut » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:40 pm

I think that the 110 should he workable, at least I am at the same level and I am thinking about getting the 110 and the 100 is still in my mind somewhere. 😆

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 pm

Most likely personal what one prefer.

I got a 118 and a 130, most often using a 1200 cm2 wing, 77 kg.

Use the 130 more than the 118, eventhough 118 is great when really windy.

The reason I use the 130 often, is most likely because I prefer to ride smaller kites, and waves, even small ones are fun.
And because it gives you a bigger windrange, very important for me as the wind often lulls, so I can start in the lulls effortlessly now, instead of being parked for a while :D

Others like to ride more powered, and can go shorter if they like.

Of course board width means a lot too, I don't like em too wide, as edges can catch.
But you can go shorter if wider, until a certain point.

8) Peter

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:23 am

I’m 6’3” and 190lbs. 100% strapless.

I have a 33 inch home build that is flat (no rocker) that I love for higher wind (13kn+) and flat water. It can handle touchdowns pretty well in flat water, and it pairs well with a fast moving kite (7m and smaller).

For light wind or waves, I have a 3’6” micro. 33 inches is too short for light wind or waves for me. I’ve tried the home build in both, and it just isn’t as much fun. Tougher to waterstart in light wind, not as many quick turns and changes of direction with a big kite, and too many touchdowns and falls in waves.

Although 33 inches isn’t as fun in the waves, 3’6” feels a little long at times. I think 100cm would be perfect.

Chestnut
Rare Poster

Postby Chestnut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 am

Are the most of you riding strapped or strapless? Future will be ....... ?

I use two straps on the front only.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 am

50/50 I think, strapped/strapless, maybe even a bit more with straps.
We had a poll that showed this.

I was quite amazed, as it seemed like by far most (me included) ride strapless, but not so.

Especially odd that non-racers non-jumpers use straps?
I dont understand this, honestly :roll:

8) Peter

Chestnut
Rare Poster

Postby Chestnut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 am
50/50 I think, strapped/strapless, maybe even a bit more with straps.
We had a poll that showed this.

I was quite amazed, as it seemed like by far most (me included) ride strapless, but not so.

Especially odd that non-racers non-jumpers use straps?
I dont understand this, honestly :roll:

8) Peter
What is the difference with or without? It is the same with me using a waveboard. I like straps.

I tried without, but getting on the board was already a issue. (Foilboard) What is the real advantage to have none? More freedom, but thats it I think....

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Safety (feet staying strapped during awkward falls and something twisting or breaking),
You learn to drive the board rather than whip it around (not impossible to learn with straps but they are often used as a crutch),
Strapless teaches you to ride with imperfect foot placement (again not impossible with straps),
Straps get in the way (broke my toe learning to tack by hitting it on the strap),
Can change stance to suit style you are riding (for me, wider stance for upwind legs/narrower stance for carving and cruising),
Impossible to use factory inserts if you have a narrow stance
Last edited by junebug on Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post (total 2):
purdyd (Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:33 pm) • JoseTumaco (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Chestnut wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 am
Are the most of you riding strapped or strapless? Future will be ....... ?

I use two straps on the front only.
I think I would worry less about trends and more about what works for you and your style and conditions,

Personally I use only a front hook. That works well for me where I like to use a small board and small kite with my foils that don’t float very long on the side.

But on a surfboard I use straps almost all of the time. My observation is the strapless riders on surfboards ride strapless on foils and strapped ride strapped on foils.

But a foil is much more sensitive to front and back weighting in my opinion than a surfboard. So I am constantly shifting my feet around on foil while strapless on a surfboard I tend to be more static.

I think junebug makes a pretty good list of why you might not want straps.

Return to “Hydrofoil”