Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Just now joining the fun. New kite surfer alert

Postby Herman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 am

I only mention this because you seem keen. If you don’t get enough TOW behind the boat or kite to get comfortable switch, see if you can borrow a drop deck longboard skateboard and a set of pads, including hip pads and gloves. Then on a gentle slope or flat, learn to push and ride switch as well as natural, ( front foot on the board for pushing NOT mongo ).

Two real risks, one you are going to fall on tarmac and two, you will get hooked on longboard skateboard. ( Mountain boards and skateboards can be used with kites. )

PS I have had a cheap longboard, the ride was adequate for gentle knockabout but when pushed a kingpin broke and I no longer consider using cheap trucks for anything especially at 210lbs.

DiyBrad
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave

Postby DiyBrad » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 pm

McLovin wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 am
DIYBrad,

Agree 1000% on having good instruction - KITING is a sport where you really can't DIY at first anyway. Good story about respecting the eventual hazards - wrapped lines around the bar ends are VERY NO BUENO - also let's not wrap lines around wingtips, or hands - let's just avoid ALL WRAPPING. Add to that never walk into / on lines of an unsecured kite, guess WHY? Guess how I know :)

You are off to a great start - did you get a 10m? Add a bigger - 13/14 and you will be able to get kiting a bunch... There are hundreds of great choices but I'll give you one to check out. The Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m is a kite that gets me happily riding in about 14-20mph and I'm 275lbs - it turns reasonably fast for a BIG kite and is easy to use. Mine is the regular construction which works fine but if you feel inspired they make it in the fancy ALUULA material which makes it super duper light (good for Florida) but also super duper expensive. You choose how fast to chase the dragon ---- but from the sounds of it the transformation is already well underway.

Although I didn't appreciate the wisdom when one of my first kite instructors said to me, "or you could just f*cking SEND IT" - It's definitely an option.

Keep kiting and then do some more KITING - it only gets more and more FUN - soon you will be a SKY SURFER!

Cheers,

Mc

:dance:
So far I ended up with an 8/10/13.5 all core XRs. I am still eyeballing one of the OR Flite Aluulas but since I just burned a big hole in my wallet, I am going to spend my last bit of disposable fun money on instruction. I can worry about a light wind kite when the winds start to die back out in my area. Luckily where I am, if we have an east wind, there is a beach less than a mile from my house.

DiyBrad
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Clearwater
Gear: Core and litewave

Postby DiyBrad » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Herman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 am
I only mention this because you seem keen. If you don’t get enough TOW behind the boat or kite to get comfortable switch, see if you can borrow a drop deck longboard skateboard and a set of pads, including hip pads and gloves. Then on a gentle slope or flat, learn to push and ride switch as well as natural, ( front foot on the board for pushing NOT mongo ).

Two real risks, one you are going to fall on tarmac and two, you will get hooked on longboard skateboard. ( Mountain boards and skateboards can be used with kites. )

PS I have had a cheap longboard, the ride was adequate for gentle knockabout but when pushed a kingpin broke and I no longer consider using cheap trucks for anything especially at 210lbs.
My instructor recommended almost the same thing. He mentioned using a scooter since I have those laying around for the kids but I like the idea of a longboard riding goofy. I may go out on a hunt today for one.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 am

Herman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 am

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. If you want to get rid of left vs right to the degree it is possible in the universe, than do some windsurfing lessons. It is the only sure bet.......

P.s. you can't do this if you have made your first jumps kiteboarding.

P.p.s if you have made your first jumps windsurfing, kiteboarding will feel insulting to your intelligence.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 am
YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. If you want to get rid of left vs right to the degree it is possible in the universe, than do some windsurfing lessons. It is the only sure bet.......

P.p.s if you have made your first jumps windsurfing, kiteboarding will feel insulting to your intelligence.
[/quote]
>>>>>> Matty V,

Rainy day in the van? Not making much sense here...hope you are OK :) yer kinda lost in translation...

"If all the animals along the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en... would fall... on the same day", Danny Ocean (11)

Mc

These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
iriejohn (Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:45 am

Matteo V. The answer is still 42!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:42 am

DiyBrad, don't over think the difference in stance. It is perfectly natural for many to have a stronger side. Oddly enough if you stick at it you might find that your stronger side will vary depending on what you are actually doing. Also if you have a home break with a particularly prevelant wind you will find it strange going out through waves on the opposite tack. It is all part and parcel of the fun. I know one rider who just uses directionals in his natural stance never switching feet and he makes a very good job of it. I still windsurf and have for decades, yes it will even up your stance but it would not be quick and is not a sensible reason to take it up imho. The skateboard will be a sharp shock and immediately challenge the brain in the desired way. Also if you get to the stage of running or walking starts you are sowing the seeds for a running beach start on a TT if you get that far.

PS For a while, even if you are riding well on your weaker side it still won't feel quite the same. Just takes a while to realise that this difference in feeling does not matter. ( If your home brake is crossoff with decent swell then maybe it would be worth learning to windsurf!)
Last edited by Herman on Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm

McLovin wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 am
Matteo V wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 am

>>>>>> Matty V,

Rainy day in the van? Not making much sense here...hope you are OK :) yer kinda lost in translation...

"If all the animals along the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en... would fall... on the same day", Danny Ocean (11)

Mc

Maybe satirical on this one with how you butchered the quote itself and left the word quote hanging out? And please also note that Matty V is a different forum user.

But to simplify for you in case you are not understanding, left vs right port versus starboard, can be helped out with windsurfing. Windsurfing is extremely difficult compared to kiting, but sub planing speeds which will help you with left vs right are very easy to achieve on a large board. Again I can't stress this enough, windsurfing is the one windsport that will cure to the greatest degree possible, left vs right issues.

The biggest problem with windsurfing, is that it's not a lot of fun unless you really enjoy a nearly insurmountable challenge. But given that you would put so much time into it to ever get to a stage where you're having fun doing instead of learning, then it is somewhat easier to just stick with kite boarding and work left vs right out there. Still, if you have access to windsurfing gear, give it a go as it is more effective than riding a longboard skateboard for left vs right issues.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Brad,

You are doing this the right way. Keep going with the 10-15 hours instruction. Don't buy any more gear, except a more normal TT, a slightly bigger one like 140-145 because you are a big guy.
You should not even buy a big 15/17m kite. It totally sucks on a TT and its better to save your " kite time" for windier days.
Then maybe after 2-300 hours on the water, and you can fly the kite without thinking about it or looking at it, ( like you drive a car) , and ride totally at ease in all directions heel and topside, learn to jump, etc. Then you should spend the money you would have spent on a big kite to get a hydrofoil.
If you do that, I predict you will after 100 hours on hydrofoil sell your TTs and XRs buy lighter single strut kites and only use hydrofoil.

I hope you wearing a helmet and impact vest and learning safety. I've been kiting 19 years and only broke my ribs twice, at the kite loop jumping phase. Then went over to strapless surfboards to avoid further injury ( I was 50+ at the time) for 5 years before started foiling 4 years ago. Plan to foil until I'm 70+.

Return to “Kitesurfing”