Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

rounded shoulders and kitesurfing

Postby fun2kite » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi all,

To set the stage..

I have recently started to exercise more specifically doing more pull-ups. And I found myself hurting in one or two shoulders. While doing research I realized I have rounded shoulders and thus I am prone to injury when doing exercises. Started looking at ways to correct rounded shoulders and found exercises.. Some listed in the link below.

But also all sources say you need to prevent the source of rounded shoulders like trying to sit straight, keep your shoulders back etc..
Then it just occurred to me that pretty much every weekend, I spend hours kitesurfing with my hands in-front of me holding the bar and pretty much with shoulders shifted forward.
What I regarded as good exercise all of a sudden potentially seem as a major contributing factor to rounded shoulders problem I have.

Have anyone ever thought of our position while riding being contributing factor to rounded shoulders? Especially if you ride depowered and your hands are really extended..

I started thinking on ways to minimize rounded shoulders, while kitesurfing and starting this thread to discuss this issue. (if anyone else agree that this is indeed our sports partially induced problem)
I have never seen this angle of riding being discussed in the community. (did the search)

I gave it some though and think below could help to reduce chances of aggravating the issue which most of us already have while working with a computer..

1. Ride smaller kites (underpowered), reduce the need of hands fully extended forward and causing shoulders to move forward.
2. Ride bars with a smaller throw.. (or modify bar with a smaller throw) to prevent hands being overextended. Also make sure to buy a correct bar as many bars throw could be too big for people with shorter hands or women?
3. ride more with one hand.. (let the shoulder drop back for the hand that is not holding the bar.
4. Ride toe side more.. (while in that position, your shoulder position is reversed.
5. less unhooked riding.. (for same reasons )
6. ride with a trim that allows your hands to be closer to the body.
7. Hydrofoil allows for less forward pulling of shoulders.

Any thoughts from any doctors here if above makes sense?
Also any additional ideas on what else can be adjusted to minimize rounded shoulders aggravation while kitesurfing?

What is "Rounded Shoulders" ?

While some people can train themselves to pull their shoulders back while pretending to squeeze a golf ball between their shoulder blades, the rest of us spend extended periods slouching in front of a computer, with our shoulders forward and down.
Unfortunately, poor posture from rounded shoulders becomes a habit that can trigger everything from neck pain and headaches to lower back strain and poor circulation.

General Exercises for addressing rounded shoulders problems:
https://www.healthline.com/health/round ... all-slides

Regards,
-D.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore

Re: rounded shoulders and kitesurfing.

Postby fun2kite » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm

fun2kite wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:17 pm
Hi all,

To set the stage..

I have recently started to exercise more specifically doing more pull-ups. And I found myself hurting in one or two shoulders. While doing research I realized I have rounded shoulders and thus I am prone to injury when doing exercises. Started looking at ways to correct rounded shoulders and found exercises.. Some listed in the link below.

But also all sources say you need to prevent the source of rounded shoulders like trying to sit straight, keep your shoulders back etc..
Then it just occurred to me that pretty much every weekend, I spend hours kitesurfing with my hands in-front of me holding the bar and pretty much with shoulders shifted forward.
What I regarded as good exercise all of a sudden potentially seem as a major contributing factor to rounded shoulders problem I have.

Have anyone ever thought of our position while riding being contributing factor to rounded shoulders? Especially if you ride depowered and your hands are really extended..

I started thinking on ways to minimize rounded shoulders, while kitesurfing and starting this thread to discuss this issue. (if anyone else agree that this is indeed our sports partially induced problem)
I have never seen this angle of riding being discussed in the community. (did the search)

I gave it some though and think below could help to reduce chances of aggravating the issue which most of us already have while working with a computer..

1. Ride smaller kites (underpowered), reduce the need of hands fully extended forward and causing shoulders to move forward.
2. Ride bars with a smaller throw.. (or modify bar with a smaller throw) to prevent hands being overextended. Also make sure to buy a correct bar as many bars throw could be too big for people with shorter hands or women?
3. ride more with one hand.. (let the shoulder drop back for the hand that is not holding the bar.
4. Ride toe side more.. (while in that position, your shoulder position is reversed.
5. less unhooked riding.. (for same reasons )
6. ride with a trim that allows your hands to be closer to the body.
7. Hydrofoil allows for less forward pulling of shoulders.
8. cross train surfing.. (not kitesurfing, but helps to combat rounded shoulders)

Any thoughts from any doctors here if above makes sense?
Also any additional ideas on what else can be adjusted to minimize rounded shoulders aggravation while kitesurfing?

What is "Rounded Shoulders" ?

While some people can train themselves to pull their shoulders back while pretending to squeeze a golf ball between their shoulder blades, the rest of us spend extended periods slouching in front of a computer, with our shoulders forward and down.
Unfortunately, poor posture from rounded shoulders becomes a habit that can trigger everything from neck pain and headaches to lower back strain and poor circulation.

General Exercises for addressing rounded shoulders problems:
https://www.healthline.com/health/round ... all-slides

Regards,
-D.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:46 pm

You have a muscle imbalance. Weight training specifically for kiteboarding is bad. That is only doing pull ups and those ball exercises to mimic the way that kiteboard works your body is bad for injury prevention and posture. What you want is to exercise the muscles kiteboarding doesn't work. So if kiting works the biceps then work the triceps. If kiting works the quads then your exercise needs to work the hamstrings. This will put your body back in balance and reduce chance of injury.

Practically speaking you don't actually want to target any specific muscle group. To put your body back in balance exercise using compound exercises

Pullups
Squats
Bench press
Pushups
Overhead press

You can substitute whatever exercises you wish but they need to be compound exercises. Don't give up on pullups just change your routine so that you body gets a balanced workout.

Stance while kiting doesn't matter. It's the imbalance in muscle groups which is the problem. If you see what bicyclists look like they have tiny little arms huge quads tiny hamstrings. Kiting does the same it only works some muscles and we get an imbalanced physique. Most people don't kite enough that it's a problem but if you kite and also are doing kite specific exercises that will lead to an imbalance.
These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 2):
DVPgel (Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 pm) • fun2kite (Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Fun2kite, I am a physio and I put a video out last year about posture and the kiter. Maybe it is of some benefit.
These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post (total 3):
DVPgel (Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm) • fun2kite (Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am) • FLandOBX (Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Rounded shoulders is a common postural issue due to our lifestyles hunched over computers and mobile devices. Not only can poor posture result in back issues, but also looks awful.

You need to do Pilates.

Shameless plug - my wife is a great instructor: https://www.janem.co.uk/jane247/
These users thanked the author MattyM for the post:
fun2kite (Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Right in my wheelhouse !

Foundation Training

It's the most succinct system of exercise I’ve found to directly combat our current common postural faults.

If sitting is the new smoking, kiting is damn near a fine cigar.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
fun2kite (Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am)

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Hips up, back straight and shoulders pulled back. I am all way telling beginners this. Even powered up this how you should be riding. Trim the kite for where you want your bar not for power. It is a trim line not a de-power rope.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:44 pm) • alford (Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am) • fun2kite (Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:33 am)
Rating: 9.09%

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore

Postby fun2kite » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am

Thank you for putting it together! Will watch tonight ..
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm
Fun2kite, I am a physio and I put a video out last year about posture and the kiter. Maybe it is of some benefit.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 am

These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
fun2kite (Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 pm)

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 am

There are a few things.

- proper stance like mentioned by TheJoe
- kite with a light bar pressure and/or set them to light on bridle settings
- strong back (add deadlifts to the list of edt)
- short chickenloop (and/or a short hook)
- a seat harness would help too
- don't do 3 hour+ sessions
These users thanked the author jedi1 for the post:
fun2kite (Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”