Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

3 or 5 strut for bigger riders

Postby NotsoShort » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi

I’m 105kg. I have 3 strut RPMs .I’ve been getting into boosting. Today I was on m 12m in winds 25 , max 30knots. Maximum height I got was 4.2m

I know RPMs are not the best in boosting but should I be able to get higher?

I have a 5 strut zephyr which I manage to get higher results than my RPMs

Would a 5 strut kite be more suited to progress in jumping higher? Being a heavier rider

Thanks

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: 3 or 5 strut for bigger riders

Postby Havre » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 pm

Yes. Kind of similar weight - and I would say the answer is yes.

If it is the struts or the shape I couldn't say, but I got the same experience with my Zephyr. And whenever I have tried 5 struts I definitely go higher and longer hang time.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm

There are loads of big jumping 3 strut kites out there (Naish Pivot & Dash etc). Your issue is technique, not the number of struts. Youri zoon and Sam Light jump huge on the RPM.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 pm

I’m in agreement with BillyGoatGruff. I weigh 105 kg as well, and I’ve had some of the highest jumps in my life on 3 strut kites. In light winds, it’s the Ocean Rodeo Flite and in stronger winds, their new Crave is a ROCKET SHIP! Based on what you described, you should have been a little OVERpowered on a 12 in that. Sometimes you can do better to go out with less power, but better able to hold your edge and really load and pop for take off. And as mentioned already, the RPM is not so much of a big jumper as it is a little more edged towards freestyle. I’d say just work on your technique a bit, brother. :thumb:

SENDIT!
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post:
BillyGoatGruff (Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Obviously world class kiters will be able to jump whatever, but there is a huge difference jumping with 75kg and 105kg.

But if it is the struts or the general shape I'm not going to have a strong opinion on. I'm definitely going 5 next time around.

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Has thanked: 0

Postby NotsoShort » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks guys for your opinions. Technique and timing is a lot to do with it. Seem to be stuck around the 4m mark at moment.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 pm

When I've been at one of our most crowded spots I observed lot of kites. Most of which were 3 strut kites. I saw how they flatter and deform when people jumped on them. Considering my heavy weight, over 100kg as well, and aim for bigger jumps I came to conclusion that I need robustness of 5 strut kite, so it won't flatter that much, something I can rely on. Shame I still can't quite test my newly bought E8 XR to see if that worked out for me or not.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 am

IMG_2630.JPG
NotsoShort - Great question, take it for what it's worth...my .02

I'm 125kg just a few years into my kiting life so maybe similar timelines... I won't say you NEED to have 5 struts to accomplish your jump goals but as I frequently say, " DON'T LISTEN TO THE LITTLE PEOPLE." They really don't have any clue no matter how well intentioned or informed their experiences.

This year I had the opportunity to ride a bunch of brands via demo's in my area - the good news is there are a ton of great kites out there but I can tell you as a bigger kiter there IS a big difference in stability with a 5 strut kite. Full disclosure, I do have a 3 strut OR Flite 14.5m which amazingly works well for me but it's my light wind machine -

From 12m down to 7m I have a full quiver of North REBELS all from 2017. Yes, there are getting old but the direct feel and stability of these kites is unmatched and they are made for BOOSTING, so there's that. No kite is right for everyone, but as you said - a heavier rider wanting to BOOST could do much worse than a REBEL, try one and you'll see...part of why they work for peeps like us is they are EASY to BOOST meaning not the most technical but if you get speed, set your edge and pull the bar with some pop - you will go HIGH every time...100%

Best of Luck!

Mc

:dance:
Last edited by McLovin on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am

Maybe 100% percent of the 5 strut kites are also high aspect ratio kites made mostly for boosting and jumping that's why Havre jumps higher with 5 strut kites. So the number of struts does not have to do anything with jumping but because of the decision of the marketing teams it seems this way. But because of your weight , when you change kites I would strongly advise to get a 5 strut kite. But don't be in a hurry (you are 105 kgs not 125 kgs), work on your technique and when it is time go to a 5 strut high aspect kite . All the companies offer one of these and the differences are mostly marketing.
These users thanked the author mplamplampla for the post:
McLovin (Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:29 am

^^ I think the last 2 posts sum it up pretty well. I don't mind kites distorting but buckling is horrible and so if I was designing a kite for a heavy guy I would have a leading edge that could handle high pressure for its size. I would also have the struts pumped separately so there smaller diameter could be run at higher pressure. Trouble is the market is probably too small to support a separate approach like this.

Return to “Kitesurfing”