Off topic: Jules Verne circumnavigation race, foiled trimarans

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Off topic: Jules Verne circumnavigation race, foiled trimarans

Postby cglazier » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Two massive hydrofoil trimarans have just got underway trying to break the record of 40 days for a sailboat going around the world. These boats can reach speeds of 44 knots and average over 26 knots.
http://www.tropheejulesverne.org/en/courses/
Attachments
unnamed (1) (Small).jpg
MjAyMDExMTgzZTIxOTE2MmNlNDQxM2EzMDdmMWRmYzMxNTFhODQ (Small).jpeg
jules-verne-trophy-attempt-2020-edmond-de-rothschild-credit-team-gitana-facebook-polaryse (Small).jpg
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
Dave_5280 (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Re: Off topic: Jules Verne circumnavigation race, foiled trimarans

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 pm

I think these are awesome. It surprises me how few kitefoilers care about sailing or racing, though. None of this stuff ever gets any traction in kitefoil groups online.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:26 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 pm
I think these are awesome. It surprises me how few kitefoilers care about sailing or racing, though. None of this stuff ever gets any traction in kitefoil groups online.

I dont understand that either...

It is the most amazing and exciting sailing sport to watch when match races and similar regattas, nothing beats that :thumb:

It is Formula1 on the water - expensive like h... but nothing is faster nor higher technology, and still wind driven - awesome :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
tkaraszewski (Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:02 am)

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Been following the Vendee Globe..fantastic race. This one just adds to the tracker and wind analysis fun. And it’s going to last for months!!!! Recommendation Sea Wolves for quality updates and insights.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:10 pm

Amazing! Hope they get good wind and break the record.

I’ve wondered if taking sailboat lessons would help my kiting. I read in the beginning of kitesurf racing that a lot of the leaders came in with a background in sailboat racing, so it probably helped them.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:38 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:10 pm

I’ve wondered if taking sailboat lessons would help my kiting. I read in the beginning of kitesurf racing that a lot of the leaders came in with a background in sailboat racing, so it probably helped them.
No where near good enough to try kite racing but lots of years of local sailboat racing.
- seabreeze (thermal) winds can have a pretty reliable 10-15 deg shift every couple minutes. If you get in phase with this then you can ride a course closer to straight towards the mark (better VMG)
- windspeed is higher downwind side (furthest away when riding upwind) of building cumulus clouds, as it is being sucked up into the cloud so this local wind adds to basic wind flow. Windspeed is lower on the upwind side as wind generated from the cloud is opposite the basic wind flow. Rule of thumb is that for this to be present, distance from water to cloud base should be half height of the cloud from base to top.

- seabreeze winds have a tendency to bend near shore to be perpendicular to the shoreline. This is more useful in really light winds - may not be relevant to kite racing

- when sailing upwind, if there is a "lift" - wind shifts so you can ride more directly to the mark you are riding towards, then you will gain on those racers that are leeward of you (following a course further out to the same side of the mark you are sailing to). If its a "header" - wind shifts to push you further away from the mark you are riding towards, then it works opposite and you will lose to those boats leeward of you. If you are windward, this is your clue to tack, then you will be favored again.

... mostly pretty straightforward stuff you've probably picked up very quickly. If its like sailing, then just ask people why they did what they did after you get off the water & more than likely they will enjoy sharing it with you!

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:43 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:10 pm

... and don't take sailing lessons - go to cherry creek or chatfield resevoir on a wed evening and volunteer to sail on a boat. They have informal races every Wednesday (not now tho!) when its reasonably warm. Probably starts in May is my guess and runs into September. Loads of fun and you will learn a ton in a hurry. There is almost always someone needing a crewmember on their boat and they are happy to introduce new people to sailing.

... and I love the super high performance foiling sailing going on now!
These users thanked the author knot_moving for the post:
Dave_5280 (Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:41 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”