Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Buying a kite + bar setup from a direct to consumer manufacturer in Europe

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Buying a kite + bar setup from a direct to consumer manufacturer in Europe

Postby Faxie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:08 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:52 pm
There is also Swiss brand Switch kites. They have direct sales and really very good prices. Their Nitro, elements kites are very well known. Also there is RRD or TEN kites which are also in low prices.
Switch is New Zealand. Keep in mind with buying from them that the prices on the site are without taxes.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:51 pm

GIN https://www.ginkites.com/ has some great kites, they aren't cheap though.

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:43 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:08 pm
a99 wrote:
There is also Swiss brand Switch kites. They have direct sales and really very good prices. Their Nitro, elements kites are very well known. Also there is RRD or TEN kites which are also in low prices.
Switch is New Zealand. Keep in mind with buying from them that the prices on the site are without taxes.
no extra tax if you buy in EU, you only need to declare it as low-value package (like 50€ would do)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:56 am

rw30 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:43 pm
Faxie wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:08 pm
a99 wrote:
no extra tax if you buy in EU, you only need to declare it as low-value package (like 50€ would do)
They'll do that? That's new to me.

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:07 pm

@Faxie, I was buying 2 things (separate packages) late 2019, when I was still living in Ireland - 1st was this new bar C5X - value of 350€ approx, other was kite, about 750€. Previous to that, I've ordered some kite in fall 2017 (back then I was living in Spain) - that was also shipped from this new HK warehouse (previous to that they had warehouse in UK, so that was different situation).

No extra tax was charged in all 3 cases. No idea if this is any different in any other UE country, but I'd assume customs rules are similar or the same. The only requirement - when ordering, you must request (there was box for that in order form I believe) that switchkites put the value of package to be low (50€ as I said previously would do the job)

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:32 pm

rw30 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:07 pm
No extra tax was charged in all 3 cases. No idea if this is any different in any other UE country, but I'd assume customs rules are similar or the same. The only requirement - when ordering, you must request (there was box for that in order form I believe) that switchkites put the value of package to be low (50€ as I said previously would do the job)
Customs are different in every country. So buyers (in Europe) beware when you order from switch because in addition to tax and VAT you might also end up paying customs administrative fees also. And if the value of the package is declared as 50 euro first of all it does not guarantee that this cost will be accepted and second if it is lost (or "lost") you will get 50 euros maximum as compensation and this will be the end of it. So you can pull it off without taxes but you should know that this is not guaranteed 100%. I got a nitro 6 at a very good price (I think they had a uk warehouse until the end of 2017 so no customs and they had a different price for europe) and I was very satisfied with the value for moeney but after that I don't risk buying from them again.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:59 am

a99 wrote:
They are a New Zealand brand.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:00 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:57 pm
is switch owned by someone swiss now?
Noi. Still a kiwi company

xfact
Rare Poster

Postby xfact » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:25 am

Customs in Bulgaria ask for the payment document, either from the bank or the credit card or PayPal. Further to that, they have a database with other purchases from the suppliers (in this case Switch). Also, you pay import tax ( a very small ammount) + VAT on the whole money transaction. This means also the transport. So....NO EU warehouse -> expensive additions which sometimes pile up to a price quite similar to buying from a local shop.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:51 pm

BenS wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 pm
I'm looking to get back into kiteboarding after a seven year hiatus - I had lessons back in 2010 and then spent a few years enjoying the sport before I became a parent and had too little time. The kids are now at school and I have flexibility with work so I could kite during the week if there's wind. I was hoping to pick it up earlier this year, but Covid-19 came along. Previously I owned a Cabrinha Switchblade 9m and Best Kahoona 11.5m which covered the wind conditions at my local spot in the UK (15 - 25 knots) for my weight (64 kg). I'm after a kite for twintip riding, mostly flat water but keen to try some strapless wave riding in the future.

I've collated the following list of kite brands selling direct based in Europe, detailing the price in EUR for a 9 metre kite and bar setup. Of these, Ventum and Takoon look to be the better options in my limited opinion.

Decathlon
- ORAO "W" Crossover 9m (€750) + HQ4 "One Bar" (€329) = €1,079.00

Gong
- Gong Freewave 9m (€519) + Gong Bar (€299) = €768.00
Includes 15% discount for combined kite and bar orders.

Kauper XT
- Kauper Maverick 9m (€699) + Pintxo Bar (€699) = €1,098.00

KSP
- KSP Phantom 8.5m (€595) + KSP Bar (€280) = €875.00

Spleene
- Spleene QX-II 9m (€876.33) + X-Bar 52 (€424.03) = €1,217.51
Includes 19.5% discount on bar when ordered with a kite.

Storm
- Storm Vortex 9m (€750) + Storm Bar (€390) = €990.00
Includes €150 discount for combined kite and bar orders.

Takoon
- Takoon Furia V2 9m (€829) + Sweet bar (€349) = €1,178.00

Ventum Kiteboarding
- Ventum Xplore 9m (€795) + Tough V2 bar (€414) = €1,096.19
Includes €8.09 shipping and 10% discount (€120.90) for combined kite and bar orders.

The prices listed above are around €1,000 for the kite and bar setup, which compares favourably to the main kite brands. For comparison the Duotone Evo 9m (€1,439) + Trust Control bar (€538) = €1,977 which is almost double the price of a direct to consumer manufacturer. Is the additional cost worth it? Or should I find a discounted kite from one of the main brands, such as during an end of season sale or Black Friday discount? I've been looking at second hand kites for sale, but there aren't too many that are less than a few years old. I am more than happy to support the smaller kite brands and not concerned with resale value.

Any recommendations from the list above, other options to consider, or for any to avoid would be much appreciated. I imagine (and hope) the tech has improved somewhat from the 2010 era!
I have Duotone Rebel, Neo, Gong Unik and Kauper Maverick - all with their matching bars. All 9m.

I’m happy with all of them. Duotone is plug and play. Whether that’s worth double the price is the question and I don’t think it is. The Unik is slightly less responsive on the beach but fantastic on the water. The Maverick a specific wave or foil kite and is extremely light. You can’t go wrong with any of them but you can pay a lot more for plug and play plus branding.
These users thanked the author apollo4000 for the post:
BenS (Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”