stripped screw hole, best fix?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

stripped screw hole, best fix?

Postby papasmerf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:52 am

slingshot hypermiler, has the typical plastic inserts and stainless screws (not machine thread,, just like a typical screw with a pointy tip) i was thinking of sqirting super glue down into it and then drilling it out a bit,,, or use a thicker screw,, any good advice from someone who did the wrong thing and then did the right thing later?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: stripped screw hole, best fix?

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:58 am

You're talking about a footstrap hole, right? Use a size bigger screw and see if that holds.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:38 am

Measure the depth of the hole and be sure any new screw is not too long, but of course it must have several turns to hold well. I often file down the pointed tip of screws until they are blunt so I can get a little more useful screw depth. Try to choose a screw length where you get at least three or four full rotations of your screwdriver.. the more the better as long as you don't hit bottom.

Usually where a plastic insert in a board has failed it is because the screw was not in deep enough (the screw was too short).
;-)
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
papasmerf (Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:55 am

cglazier wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:38 am
Measure the depth of the hole and be sure any new screw is not too long, but of course it must have several turns to hold well. I often file down the pointed tip of screws until they are blunt so I can get a little more useful screw depth. Try to choose a screw length where you get at least three or four full rotations of your screwdriver.. the more the better as long as you don't hit bottom.

Usually where a plastic insert in a board has failed it is because the screw was not in deep enough (the screw was too short).
;-)

Plastic inserts are fine for one-time installation, and they usually last at least until the warranty runs out. The problems come only if you frequently want to remove and reinstall the screw.

If your replacement screw is too long you risk water getting into the core. In many board constructions that means the board will suck water like a sponge.

I could swear that there were special screws for these plastic inserts, where the threads stick out father than normal from the shaft...

Don't use super glue. Use a good epoxy.... Not that five-minute crap.

And don't plan on regularly removing and reinstalling once you've done this.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
papasmerf (Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 am)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:05 am

fillers don't work, a larger self tap screw with blunted point works, but! the best way and easy fix is to use a small nylon rawlplug, of a size you need to use to have to hammer tap into place, use the standard type for brickwork, not the plaster board ones, tap down level and trim off any excess with a sharp wood chisel or similar.
The rawlplug has a tiny hole to reinsert your screw, but if its a super pointy sharp item just blunt it down a bit.
I have heard of slingshot foot screw problems before, best to get a tight locked in fit and leave it alone, I never remove mine, even for air travel.
rawlplugs are normally made of a hard nylon type plastic, and are ideal, dont smooth out the hole leave it with any of the thread that's left, but remove any torn plastic thread.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Oldman (Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 pm)

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Get a proper footstrap screw such as this https://www.surfsailaustralia.com.au/pr ... apper-28mm

These screws are designed for plastic inserts which are common on windsurf boards and have a special coarse thread which won't pull out and a blunt tip for maximum depth.

Return to “Hydrofoil”