Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Gong pro MT first impression

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:57 pm

Tried the gong Pro MT wing with veloce 43 stab on 100cm carbon mast today. Flat water.
My Garmin watch died due to button failure after 3 years, so don't have any speed data. But I was up to 38km/hr no problem.
Overall pitch balance is very predictable.
Low end speed gain without stall in noticeable, less top end and acceleration.
Basically same agility, but anhedral curve on wing makes any ventilation easier to recover from, and less prevalent. Its noticeably more yaw and roll stable.
I bought it for higher winds and wavy conditions to calm things down. More all terrain than veloce, which is great in less confused water.
I'll also be able to learn some more maneuvers on it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gong pro MT first impression

Postby Flyboy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:33 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:57 pm
Tried the gong Pro MT wing with veloce 43 stab on 100cm carbon mast today. Flat water.
My Garmin watch died due to button failure after 3 years, so don't have any speed data. But I was up to 38km/hr no problem.
Basically same agility, but anhedral curve on wing makes any ventilation easier to recover from, and less prevalent. Its noticeably more yaw and roll stable.
I bought it for higher winds and wavy conditions to calm things down. More all terrain than veloce, which is great in less confused water.

Your comments are comparing it to Veloce M wing? I take it that the Pro MT is somewhere in-between the original MT & the Veloce in performance? Does it represent it a meaningful "upgrade" to either of those two wings?

Incidentally, I notice that Gong has discounted their existing carbon foils by 10% ...& are introducing a new 85cm carbon mast in February. Perhaps kite foilers & wing foilers were not fully embracing to idea of the 100cm mast. I was waiting for this, as I felt that a 100cm mast was perhaps longer than necessary. I think I could be happy with 85cm instead of the 90cm of my existing Gong alu mast.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:51 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:33 pm
TomW wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:57 pm

Your comments are comparing it to Veloce M wing? I take it that the Pro MT is somewhere in-between the original MT & the Veloce in performance? Does it represent it a meaningful "upgrade" to either of those two wings?

Incidentally, I notice that Gong has discounted their existing carbon foils by 10% ...& are introducing a new 85cm carbon mast in February. Perhaps kite foilers & wing foilers were not fully embracing to idea of the 100cm mast. I was waiting for this, as I felt that a 100cm mast was perhaps longer than necessary. I think I could be happy with 85cm instead of the 90cm of my existing Gong alu mast.
I'm comparing to veloce M wing. Pro MT , I mean the Curve MT or just MT. I had the Pro ( curve) M before I had the veloce m. Really, the Veloce M is a a great wing. I'll use it most. The MT is for high wind and wave days, or I'm trying to learn a maneuver . The veloce is like a road bike, the MT more like a Gravel bike.

I think gong is discounting the 2020 carbon masts because they made slight mod to the 2021 masts. Seems like they made it thicker at base. Could all be done by remilliing the existing tools.
Personally I prefer the 100cm mast, i will never go back to 90cm.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:17 am

Yes - I think you're right: the new masts seem to be different from the "old" masts.

It seems like there is a logical step from the "Rise", to the "Curve", to the Curve T, to the Veloce. I think I might be interested in picking up a Curve T next spring to replace my Curve.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Sorry off topic, but has anyone in the US been able to order from Gong successfully recently? I keep putting in an order, they send me a shipping quote, I put in my credit card info, get an error and they cancel my order. No where on the website to contact them it seems for this issue. Is it just me?

Trying to pre-order things that are not in stock until mid-January, so maybe that is the issue?

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:59 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:05 pm
Sorry off topic, but has anyone in the US been able to order from Gong successfully recently? I keep putting in an order, they send me a shipping quote, I put in my credit card info, get an error and they cancel my order. No where on the website to contact them it seems for this issue. Is it just me?

Trying to pre-order things that are not in stock until mid-January, so maybe that is the issue?
I had this problem (from Uk). There was an option to Pay in Euros or GBP. GBP didn’t work, Euros did.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:48 pm

faklord wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:59 pm
I had this problem (from Uk). There was an option to Pay in Euros or GBP. GBP didn’t work, Euros did.
Thanks! I think I had tried to pay in euros one of the times, but that might have been the same time that the items in stock changed by the time I paid. I'll give paying in Euros another try.
These users thanked the author davesails7 for the post:
bitxopalo (Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:50 pm

I have made 3 orders so far to Canada the last one was in October no issues I always paid in Euros with a CC card since that was the only option. Shipping is outrageously expansive to Canada I have been looking at the carbon masts but damn.. if they had a reseller in North America and the shipping was not like 50% of the order I would buy more their gear...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:50 pm
I have made 3 orders so far to Canada the last one was in October no issues I always paid in Euros with a CC card since that was the only option. Shipping is outrageously expansive to Canada I have been looking at the carbon masts but damn.. if they had a reseller in North America and the shipping was not like 50% of the order I would buy more their gear...
I seem to recall that shipping my Gong foil to the US only cost about 100 Euros, which was more or less equivalent to the 20% VAT taken off their listed price. No duty & no tax applied in the US. I picked it up in Buffalo at the end of a trip & brought it into Canada HST free.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:33 pm

From Sweden I can't pay with any credit card. Something wrong with their system, but when I pointed this out to them they used typical Gong response, " our system works perfectly, check with your bank"...do i need to point out my card works everywhere but Gong!?.
Only way for me to pay is make bank transfer..

Return to “Hydrofoil”