Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Front wing for Kitefoil in wave

Postby slowboat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:52 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:18 am
purdyd wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 pm
Smaller stabs mean less drag and more glide. So you can gain maneuvering and glide.

The penalty is pitch stability.

I do see a trend on the surfing side for more glide higher aspect ratio wings.

That seems to translate over to the kite world with less kite power and more wave power when riding.

So personally I have been opting in with more glide these days.

But there are so many different types of waves, styles, and conditions that it is hard to generalize.
Talking about types of waves more specific to knee low height, this is the kind of wave I have in front of my beach house, this waves has a short period and I ride a Slingshot Space Skate. What I can notice is that this wing give me a lot of turning ability, I can ride at low speed and when I approach the wave I can feel it power but just for a short period of time than the wave push me away and I have to turn back to try to catch the same wave again, but most of the time i catch another one as they are so close to each other and my Peak4 8m² doesn't turn so quickly maybe when my get 5.
In the end, I don't feel that this setup wing and wave will give the sensation that I see the guys in wing having. THE GLIDE .
Does anyone have this feeling that the wave is pushing you?

Why we don't see many videos on YouTube about kitefoil wave?
Yes, you can get the feeling of the wave pushing you but it is very limiting with a kitefoil for a variety of reasons. The biggest one being you have to constantly manage the kite. If you really want to surf waves with a foil, consider wing ding or SUP foiling. Not that hard to learn if you can kitefoil and it sounds like you have good waves to take advantage of. I starting winging this year and I am gliding for 50 to 90 seconds on one swell without having to pump.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
LeoLeal (Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:51 am

With my Ketos Kool (v2) it is really possible to ride the wave without kitepressure, but indeed some kite management is needed so now and then (Peak4's..)
I use the S2 rearwing.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:47 am

slowboat wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:52 am
LeoLeal wrote:
purdyd wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 pm
Smaller stabs mean less drag and more glide. So you can gain maneuvering and glide.

The penalty is pitch stability.

I do see a trend on the surfing side for more glide higher aspect ratio wings.

That seems to translate over to the kite world with less kite power and more wave power when riding.

So personally I have been opting in with more glide these days.

But there are so many different types of waves, styles, and conditions that it is hard to generalize.
Talking about types of waves more specific to knee low height, this is the kind of wave I have in front of my beach house, this waves has a short period and I ride a Slingshot Space Skate. What I can notice is that this wing give me a lot of turning ability, I can ride at low speed and when I approach the wave I can feel it power but just for a short period of time than the wave push me away and I have to turn back to try to catch the same wave again, but most of the time i catch another one as they are so close to each other and my Peak4 8m² doesn't turn so quickly maybe when my get 5.
In the end, I don't feel that this setup wing and wave will give the sensation that I see the guys in wing having. THE GLIDE .

Yes, you can get the feeling of the wave pushing you but it is very limiting with a kitefoil for a variety of reasons. The biggest one being you have to constantly manage the kite. If you really want to surf waves with a foil, consider wing ding or SUP foiling. Not that hard to learn if you can kitefoil and it sounds like you have good waves to take advantage of. I starting winging this year and I am gliding for 50 to 90 seconds on one swell without having to pump.

Hey Man,
Sad but I think it's true. Kitefoiling wave sound limit even though still very fun and playful.
Another sad point is that there isn't anybody to inspire us in kitefoil wave as we have Fred Hope in Strapless freestyle kitefoil or Airton Cozzolino on SB Strapless freestyle.

Maybe in the future I will try wing ding but right now I'm still in love for kitefoiling and give me a goosebumps when I thinking about using a large and heavy board for winging.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:35 am

Some nice videos of kite foiling in waves on the BRM website. For example:

https://vimeo.com/user12279818

I think there are pluses & minuses for wing vs kite foiling. I think the ability to effortlessly accelerate onto a wave face is a a great feature of kite foiling ... aside from the smaller board/wing & not having a wing flapping around your body all the time.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:57 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:47 am
slowboat wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:52 am
LeoLeal wrote:

Hey Man,
Sad but I think it's true. Kitefoiling wave sound limit even though still very fun and playful.
Another sad point is that there isn't anybody to inspire us in kitefoil wave as we have Fred Hope in Strapless freestyle kitefoil or Airton Cozzolino on SB Strapless freestyle.

Maybe in the future I will try wing ding but right now I'm still in love for kitefoiling and give me a goosebumps when I thinking about using a large and heavy board for winging.
That is a good approach. As long as you are loving it, keep kitefoiling. That is how I was for a couple of years but eventually reached a point where I was getting onto some pretty good sized waves and feeling frustrated at not being able to surf the wave the way I wanted to (limitations of the kite). I started winging 6 months ago and have not looked back. Sold most of kiting gear except for the very light wind stuff.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm

LeoLeal wrote:

Hi LeoLeal,
maybe a stupid answer, but anyway:
Sounds like you´re riding down the wave face in a 90° angle (more or less). No wonder that you outrun the wave then.
Try to ride the wave "down the line", which means to ride down the wave face in a very sharp angle, almost parallel to the wave face. In this way, you can control your speed very well and you can stay on the wave forever (or until the wave starts to break).
For me this works very well. However, I´m still in the very early learning phase in wave foiling :lol:

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:02 pm

drsurf wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:22 am
Hi LeoLeal.
Here's a short video of kitefoiling small waves on a Peak4.

Super cool video! Great to watch :thumb:

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
BRAZIL
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132

Postby LeoLeal » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:08 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm
LeoLeal wrote:

Hi LeoLeal,
maybe a stupid answer, but anyway:
Sounds like you´re riding down the wave face in a 90° angle (more or less). No wonder that you outrun the wave then.
Try to ride the wave "down the line", which means to ride down the wave face in a very sharp angle, almost parallel to the wave face. In this way, you can control your speed very well and you can stay on the wave forever (or until the wave starts to break).
For me this works very well. However, I´m still in the very early learning phase in wave foiling :lol:
Hey Onda,

Thanks for you help.
I had this experience once, there is another wave spot where can be found chest low height waves, in differents directions. I don't know if what I'm saying it's correct but I feel those waves pushing me, for let's say 5 to 8 seconds but as I keep riding I gain more speed and my kite get to much line tension(apparent wind) so when it's happen to me, I don't have guts to go downwind and then came back for the same wave.
I can ride the wave but without freedom to move around.

I bought a mouth mount, and I will record some videos to show what I mean.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Leoleal did you already try a Peak4? Sounds like Peak4 territorium.. 8)
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
LeoLeal (Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
BRAZIL
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132

Postby LeoLeal » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:38 pm
Leoleal did you already try a Peak4? Sounds like Peak4 territorium.. 8)
Janus,
I have been riding a 8m² for the last 6 months and I recently bought a 5m² but didn't have a chance to try yet.

Return to “Hydrofoil”