Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope.

Postby jmach » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:30 pm

peppedurso wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:10 pm
Hi,

I am using a fireball bar with a modified lower section. Compact and efficient, I really like it.
This is a great idea. ^^
You can also hook the Fireball, sans lower piece, into a rope slider spreader bar that has a SS ring.
These users thanked the author jmach for the post:
peppedurso (Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:43 am

After the Cab QR Mushrooms went obsolete I used the Cab FB re-building a few bars.
FBS.jpg
Works great! Routing of the safety line thru the Cab FB is a good improvement and the ability to untwist the center lines & safety line.

For reference, the old Cab QR Mushroom version viewtopic.php?p=962422#p962422

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby jmach » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:37 pm

@ Puget, I see you are going with your own depower line setup rather than the PU covered stock Cabrinha. What size rope are you using? The line inside the Cab tube is pretty thin, like 2.5mm but it's PU covered. Thanks

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 am

Hi jmach, Center/depower line is 2.5mm (7/64") Amsteel rope that is 2 times thick. Here are some more pictures. I make a loop for inside the FireBall that goes around the cylinder piece. I fid the rope inside itself so it is 2 times thick (gray rope). The safety line is also the same 2.5mm (7/64") Amsteel rope in red. These ropes do get worn/fuzzy a lot faster than PU wears out, but they are cheap, easy to make and replace. All lines are visible so you can see the wear and decide when to replace them. You can also easily adjust/tune (make) your throw length and safety line. I have sewn elastic inside the red safety line on a few bars so that the mini-5th line has no slack no matter where the depower strap is set at.
FBS2.jpg
You can also make new simple leader lines out of the 2.5mm (7/64") Amsteel rope. And if I'm replacing the depower strap I like to use a Clamcleat CL264. You can also rig it with the same 2.5mm (7/64") Amsteel rope fid 2x thick. It is simple to rig, simple to use, and you can make it any length (depower range). Also, you can make the reach length, to the adjustment rope, any length (short and out of the way or long like racers use for easy access).
These users thanked the author PugetSoundKiter for the post:
alford (Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm)

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:43 am

I ride both and choose based on what I'm doing:

Fireball for freeriding, boosting, and twin-tip. Don't like the slider for boosting.

Slider for waves, directional boards, and foiling.

With the 2020 Cabrinha modular bar & modular spreader bar it's simple to switch between fireball, slider, and a chicken loop.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 am

Downwind-missile wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:15 am
The thing that makes the fireball a pain, and maybe dangerous, is that it can also swivel below the quick release. The ball-socket connection can spin around while you are riding. And it does just that.
I've been riding FIreball since it came out, and this is a problem with the older pre-2020 system, but it never once prevented me from ejecting properly.

BTW - this issue has been eliminated with the 2020 modular Fireball system. There is now a swivel that the leash clips onto that rotates independently of the center line sheath.
Last edited by SMJ on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Re: Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope

Postby HugoMC » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:14 pm

I am using the 2020 Cab Modular bar at the moment with the sliding rope attachment. I also have the regular chickenloop attachment.

For surfing and foiling I really like it 👍

SMJ
Frequent Poster

Postby SMJ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:39 pm

HugoMC wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:14 pm
I am using the 2020 Cab Modular bar at the moment with the sliding rope attachment. I also have the regular chickenloop attachment.

Yea, Cabrinha got that bar & spreader right in 2020. I hope they continue with the modular lineup - super useful.

Unfortunately, with COVID it seems like everything was late to market. I had to wait months for my 2020 bar, and 2021 isn't looking much better.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 pm

SMJ wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:39 pm
HugoMC wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Yea, Cabrinha got that bar & spreader right in 2020. I hope they continue with the modular lineup - super useful.

Unfortunately, with COVID it seems like everything was late to market. I had to wait months for my 2020 bar, and 2021 isn't looking much better.
I think the 2021 will be very similar. Can't see them putting a major update in.

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Postby rjkritzer » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:13 pm

peppedurso wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:10 pm
Hi,

I am using a fireball bar with a modified lower section. Compact and efficient, I really like it.
This is a great approach. I use a fireball and want to add a rope slider option for foiling, so I really appreciate your work. I may try to cut only the lower part of the black plastic to get access to the hole for the D-ring. Your pictures really help clarify the whole issue.

Thanks for the concept!
These users thanked the author rjkritzer for the post:
peppedurso (Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:54 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”