Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:01 am

I don't think it is so well thought, that it is to stop rescues and further hospital visits.
It is simply to avoid crowds on the beach, and difficult to be more specific nor differentiate, so it is all or nothing, as simple as that.

Otherwise one big grey zone noone can understand :wink:

Eventhough we know it doesn't make much sense...

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Hugh2 (Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 am) • cor (Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:30 am)
Rating: 6.06%

mrbig
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby mrbig » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Meanwhile:

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:36 pm

What in the actual f***....
Arresting kiters.

Time to start smuggling lock picks into your harnesses?

The world has officially lost its mind.

Hurry up with the spaceships Elon, get me off this rock.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:10 pm

SA in Beginning of 2021: "Hey let´s use a sledgehammer to crack a nut and patrol beaches with helicopters!"
Also SA in end of 2021/2022: "OMG where are all the tourists?"

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:10 pm
SA in Beginning of 2021: "Hey let´s use a sledgehammer to crack a nut and patrol beaches with helicopters!"
Also SA in end of 2021/2022: "OMG where are all the tourists?"
I don't think it will have a massive impact - as most countries are doing the same (with the exception of Belarus, but somehow I don't think they will become a huge tourist destination anytime soon).

I'm looking to move within the next couple of years. Cape Town would certainly be on that list of potential destinations, but not making themselves more attractive at the moment (Hugh2 will be happy). One thing is Covid-19 that will with a fair degree of certainty "disappear" before I move anyway, but Covid-19 won't be the last one. Being stuck in SA for Covid-24 for 2 years doesn't sound very attractive when you can actually live a fairly normal life in for example Brazil.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:29 pm

f*** off Havre. I am not happy that kiters get arrested, nor that the beaches are closed, I'm just trying to explain to knuckleheads like you that it is incredibly arrogant for rich white kiters to hit the beaches while the black masses are forbidden from them, for good rational reasons to try to contain an exploding epidemic in a country with a fragile health system. This has nothing to do with you, please stay in Norway.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:29 pm
f*** off Havre. I am not happy that kiters get arrested, nor that the beaches are closed, I'm just trying to explain to knuckleheads like you that it is incredibly arrogant for rich white kiters to hit the beaches while the black masses are forbidden from them, for good rational reasons to try to contain an exploding epidemic in a country with a fragile health system. This has nothing to do with you, please stay in Norway.
I never said you would be happy with kiters getting arrested - I said you would be happy to hear it made SA a less attractive destination for me to move to. Surely we can agree on that being a good thing?

cor
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:42 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm
as most countries are doing the same.
Really? Which other country uses military and helicopters to arrest people for leisure activities in COVID-restricted areas?

It´s one thing to fine someone. It´s another thing to arrest people and patrol beaches with helicopters. What´s next? Death penalty for sneezing?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:42 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm
as most countries are doing the same.
Really? Which other country uses military and helicopters to arrest people for leisure activities in COVID-restricted areas?

It´s one thing to fine someone. It´s another thing to arrest people and patrol beaches with helicopters. What´s next? Death penalty for sneezing?
Locking down. Beaches have been closed in a quite a few places the last year. That is not unique to SA.

As for how the restrictions are enforced I don't see the problem. What is the point of having restrictions if they are not enforced?

That is not me supporting this. As you can see I am a knucklehead that can't understand why this does make sense.

cor
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:58 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm
What is the point of having restrictions if they are not enforced?
Agreed that restrictions should be enforced if they are in place. However, they should not be "over-enforced". It´s enough to fine people in my opinion. Using helicopters to enforce covid-restrictions is like calling a SWAT-team for putting a parking fine on a windscreen.
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm
That is not me supporting this. As you can see I am a knucklehead that can't understand why this does make sense.
I know. I also do not understand why beaches are closed, as mentioned earlier in the thread. But I do understand that they are either open or closed for everyone but never closed or open just for a specific group.

Return to “Kitesurfing”