Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Please help to open SA beaches for kitesurfers

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:04 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:58 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm
What is the point of having restrictions if they are not enforced?
Agreed that restrictions should be enforced if they are in place. However, they should not be "over-enforced". It´s enough to fine people in my opinion. Using helicopters to enforce covid-restrictions is like calling a SWAT-team for putting a parking fine on a windscreen.
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm
That is not me supporting this. As you can see I am a knucklehead that can't understand why this does make sense.
I know. I also do not understand why beaches are closed, as mentioned earlier in the thread. But I do understand that they are either open or closed for everyone but never closed or open just for a specific group.
Generally speaking I agree with that of course. And I do see your point. At the same time this is so visible. Maybe 2 weeks from now it will calm down to some sort of "steady state"?

In Norway we have had a couple of cases with people being fined EUR 2k for not self-isolating after being abroad etc. As an example the coach of the national football team got fined 2k. But I also know that most people just get a warning. The problem is as with the coach it became public so then you can't just give him a warning.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Go to a foreign country break it’s laws and get caught ? what happens? You get dealt with by the authorities.

Now do it in the middle of a pandemic as an entitled super rad kitesurfer when the rules specifically state not to? Dick behaviour.
These users thanked the author Matty V for the post:
ELI (Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 pm

The question is what makes sense and what not.

Disallow kiting for spreading a virus? Doesn't make sense.

Disallow kiting to avoid injuries for full hospitals? Makes sense.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:20 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 pm
The question is what makes sense and what not.

Disallow kiting for spreading a virus? Doesn't make sense.

Disallow kiting to avoid injuries for full hospitals? Makes sense.
I think it is more about the visuals.

We had the same conversation about hospital capacity in Norway. It might very well be the case in SA. So I'm not going to say it isn't, but it was never even close in Norway. In Norway we got more influenza patients in the yearly peak than we ever had for Covid-19. Still the same argument was used. Break your ankle running and you are "responsible" for overloading hospitals (conveniently forgetting that overweight is after age the factor that explains hospitalisations and deaths the most).

Not that I expect that any country will find the perfect balance, but I would expect more "intelligence" after a full year of this.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 pm

deaths are huge and numbers are growing faster than hospitals can cope , the virus is mutating, getting stronger becoming deadlier , and in the last few days , talk of an even stronger variant in africa, just think about it for a minute , what if the mutations /evolutions of the different variants out grow the speed of the vacine's being produced-there are a lot of people to vacinate

but it looks like it will be like the flu jab , needing to be updated every year , the only differences are that covid is going to kill millions for a few years untill we dominate it , which looks some way off, numbers are climbing - we need to follow the rules

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:53 pm

slide wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 pm
deaths are huge and numbers are growing faster than hospitals can cope , the virus is mutating, getting stronger becoming deadlier , and in the last few days , talk of an even stronger variant in africa, just think about it for a minute , what if the mutations /evolutions of the different variants out grow the speed of the vacine's being produced-there are a lot of people to vacinate

but it looks like it will be like the flu jab , needing to be updated every year , the only differences are that covid is going to kill millions for a few years untill we dominate it , which looks some way off, numbers are climbing - we need to follow the rules
No, no......

And no.

I reckon yous ain't countin right. It appears appears that we need longer than 12 months for a vaccine to protect any significant portion of the population.

We need 18 months. So "Game over, man! What the hell we supposed to do now". "Maybe we could build a fire, sing some songs?"

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:42 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm
as most countries are doing the same.
Really? Which other country uses military and helicopters to arrest people for leisure activities in COVID-restricted areas?
Israel did the same thing a few months ago

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Strekke wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm
cor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:42 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm
as most countries are doing the same.
Really? Which other country uses military and helicopters to arrest people for leisure activities in COVID-restricted areas?
Israel did the same thing a few months ago
A game, and game over. We will all accept the narrative.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:44 am

and the worst part of this situation is the medical experts say they are not sure how the vacine's will work on the south african variant , which is causing major concern as it has mutated and is stronger than the version we have in the uk , so we are not educated on this version , so its best to do what the local authority's say
this version looks like it could wipe out a lot of people -stay at home stay safe

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:49 am

Not sure if that is all that relevant for this thread, but if the vaccine doesn't work what do people suggest we do? Permanent lockdown? To use a phrase from another thread here - what is your "long game" then?

Any good kite spots in Belarus? Might be our only hope.

Return to “Kitesurfing”