Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Dakine and Cabrinha unite. Thoughts?

Postby espana2323 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on this new development? Seems like good news to me considering Dakine’s latest news to drop their wind products.

https://www.cabrinha.com/blogs/news/dak ... r-one-roof

-Mike
Last edited by espana2323 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dakine and Cabrinha unite. Thoughts?

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm

espana2323 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm
Hi all,

What are your thoughts on this new development? Seems like good news to me considering’s latest news to drop their wind products.

https://www.cabrinha.com/blogs/news/dak ... r-one-roof

-Mike
I bet they will try to enter in with a "premium product" "space age" harness billed as a "fusion of carbon fiber and Aluula" for a bargain price of €1400!

Cooperatives between companies are almost always done for image, not technology.
Last edited by Matteo V on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Dakine makes good products, so I suppose it can't hurt, but here's what I really want out of Cabrinha:

1. A BIGGER (17m or 18m) and lighter (e.g. Aluula) version of the AV8 for airstyle.
2. A lighter version of the Drifter.
3. A lighter version of the Contra.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Pete Cabrinha started his company on Maui, and I think Dakine started on Maui also. Pete sold to NP, then recently bought it back with a group of investors. Dakine sold a number of years ago, and recently got out the harness business. I’m confused by the Cab/NP branding on some products and not sure who is really making the harnesses, so maybe this puts Cab-Dakine in the harness business without NP.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:04 pm
Pete Cabrinha started his company on Maui, and I think Dakine started on Maui also. Pete sold to NP, then recently bought it back with a group of investors. Dakine sold a number of years ago, and recently got out the harness business. I’m confused by the Cab/NP branding on some products and not sure who is really making the harnesses, so maybe this puts Cab-Dakine in the harness business without NP.

I hope they do not screw up the Dakine Fusion Seat Harness and keep prices from going up. I purchased 2 of them in fear of ruining it as I knew the brand was going to a new licensee. Best harness for anyone with a bad back or over 40.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Would this change anything for kitesurfers? I tried to read the press release, but couldn't find much of substance.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:06 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:04 pm
I’m confused by the Cab/NP branding on some products and not sure who is really making the harnesses, so maybe this puts Cab-Dakine in the harness business without NP.
JR286 is the equipment manufacture that Dakine (Marquee) uses for their products. JR286 also works with Nike/Air Jordan, so they're very reputable.
Since Cabrinha is licensing Dakine from Marguee (not buying), I would presume that the design and development will still continue under JR286 in conjunction with Cabrinha. NPG is no longer involved with design or development for Cabrinha.
I think this is a smart move for both Cabrinha and Dakine. :thumb:
https://www.jr286.com/#about
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
Kees (Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:34 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:57 pm
Would this change anything for kitesurfers? I tried to read the press release, but couldn't find much of substance.
I think it changes the fear of losing products (and a brand) that serves for many as the best option for kiting. Dakine has a strong following for their harnesses, especially their seat harnesses. The fact that the Dakine windsport division was currently extinct, this news alleviates the concern of not being able to get future products and a continuance of supporting them. Now kitesurfers can only hope Cabrinha continues with what is well established and desired from Dakine. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
Havre (Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:10 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:34 pm
Havre wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:57 pm
I think it changes the fear of losing products (and a brand) that serves for many as the best option for kiting. Dakine has a strong following for their harnesses, especially their seat harnesses. The fact that the Dakine windsport division was currently extinct, this news alleviates the concern of not being able to get future products and a continuance of supporting them. Now kitesurfers can only hope Cabrinha continues with what is well established and desired from Dakine. :thumb:
Fair enough. If it keeps Dakine alive.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Is Cabrinha really "the world leader in performance kitesurfing equipment" ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”